A Forum to Discuss the State of the Forum in the "Forums" Sub-Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who's got more posts and an older join-by date than many of the "long-termers" mentioned in this thread, I laugh at you.

And yes, my e-penis is huge, your online mom thinks so too.

Ok, well I have only been here for a bit over a year and am still considered a noob.
But the forum seems alright to me. I mean yeah it's not perfect, but in most cases everyone seems friendly and is willing to help. I have found that it is very hard for a newby to join in to an older thread without being considered a troll or looking stupid. Perhaps this is why they try and make new threads? Most of the time they are just trying to fit in an join the conversation. And yea, this is coming from the one that made 'MX5 - A girls car?', looking back I would call myself a troll, but back then I wouldn't have known it. I was negrepped and duly informed, and since have tried to contribute in other, more sensible ways.

I joined for Top Gear section but have stayed for the others. Once again, I haven't been here that long so I can't really say much but thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Post count and new threads have been slowing down this year a bit.

Thoughts on why:
-People are using the silly Random Thoughts threads rather than creating a new thread for a question.. Go make threads for your questions or thoughts- it is not going to kill anyone.
-Top Gear does not air as frequently or hit the news as much as it did in the past years.. and the influx of new members dries up.
-People's interests change, and have lives outside of the forums. Except for Viper. He is married to WoW and eBay Motors.
-eDrama and people get their drawers in a bunch then leave to reorganize them. Furiously.
20111120-drawers.jpg

I do miss the entertaining trolls. The last epic one was ant lion, he self destructed within a week, but as they say: the flame that burn the brightest burn the quickest.

Except for Viper. He is married to WoW and eBay Motors.

I don't know, his post rate had drastically declined since he got a job and driver's license. He should be at 100,000 by now...

Last edited:
Maybe the forums should refocus somewhat. :dunno:

We do cover five active shows, but outside of Top Gear UK they aren't international sensations.

Weirdly I've noticed a distinct drop in the number of additions to existing threads since this one was started........

Normally I would get to my desk on a Monday morning and there would be at least two pages of updated threads when I hit "What's New?" since going to be on Sunday night.

This morning I reckon about 2/3 of a page.

I've noticed lulls in post numbers before but it has been particularly quiet of late.

We're in the 'month before new season' lul at the moment. Not enough spoilers to get people posting yet but far into the long tail of posts from the previous series.

As for specific topics, Political Discussion tends to get overheated at times but surely no one takes that section entirely seriously? The number of straw man arguments that pop up i've come to the conclusion it's actually the 'ultra refined trolling section'.

Plus of course it's Thanksgiving this week so a lot of the 'Muricans could be busy visiting family and the like.

And all the latest game releases means people are busy shooting stuff.

Maybe the forums should refocus somewhat. :dunno:

We do cover five active shows, but outside of Top Gear UK they aren't international sensations.

Never change anything. One forum I frequented changed layout and pretty much become unusable.

Post count and new threads have been slowing down this year a bit.

Thoughts on why:
-People are using the silly Random Thoughts threads rather than creating a new thread for a question.. Go make threads for your questions or thoughts- it is not going to kill anyone.
What, and get lynched for daring to start a new thread?

There are plenty of threads in NSFW for that, I'd have thought. And the not-dudes can use Lupin's suggestion.

Last edited:
I have been a member of many dying forums, this is far from it. Dead is when you get one post a month, and that is by an admin asking if anyone has dropped by... :no:

This isn't exactly a small or badly publicised forum either, there was actually a link on the old Encyclopaedia Dramatica site directing trolls to come and annoy car people. :lol:

What, and get lynched for daring to start a new thread?

If people have a problem with it, tell them to take it up with Quiky. He just said to start new threads. I'm guessing people won't argue the point with him.

This isn't exactly a small or badly publicised forum either, there was actually a link on the old Encyclopaedia Dramatica site directing trolls to come and annoy car people. :lol:

So that's how you got here. :p

Last edited:
I have been a member of many dying forums, this is far from it. Dead is when you get one post a month, and that is by an admin asking if anyone has dropped by... :no:

Yes but in fairness we did rather do that to the Morris Marina Owners forum a couple of years ago. Good times.

This is very true. been a huge 2 months for gamers.

anyhoo.

Guess im not a noob anymore. and i learned early on to stay well clear of the TG section *shudders* so many idiots.

Ive seen forums come and go. this one seems quite healthy. sure ze germans try to keep things serious and german but i love it here. Be it because of parkinsons, or construction workers and a shallow grave, things will go on. and for the better. the trolls and asshats are mostly gone. Viva la finalgear.

Reactions: Jay
As someone who's got more posts and an older join-by date than many of the "long-termers" mentioned in this thread, I laugh at you.

And yes, my e-penis is huge, your online mom thinks so too.

And how did your current post contribute in any way to the conversation at hand?

And how did your current post contribute in any way to the conversation at hand?

How did yours? I saw it as an attempt to lighten up and get away from the OP's perceived scaremongering.

I was scolding him for getting away from the original topic. It's the unnecessary silliness and "Oh, let's post in every thread, even though it doesn't matter, just so I can have a larger post count" that teletubby-warrior (and a few others, including me) are complaining about. Some jokes may be funny in certain threads, but that doesn't mean they have to spread into every other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.