A good Wireless-N Router that can be hacked

Zuhaib

Car(s)
19 BMW X3
So it looks like my Linksys WRT54G has decided it only wants to be a wired network and has the wireless dead. Nothing I do to it with DD-WRT can get it to transmit or Rx.
So I might as well replace it and go N as my MBP has the N-card. But I want something that can run be hacked using OpenWRT and/or DD-WRT. Also maybe having Gigabit built in would be great.
Thanks!

I've had success installing both DD-WRT and OpenWRT Kamikaze on a WRT150N, although it doesn't have Gigabit ethernet.

Get a good Wifi AP with N, and use a gigabit switch, its what I do. If like me you transfer a lot of files over the network, its better to get a switch to do that heavy work and leave the AP to do the wifi stuff, helps keep your network working smoothly.

I agree completely, TechZ. I do the same thing, although my setup is considerably more complicated. I have something like the following:

Code:
                 Internet
                     |
                 Building Router - WRT54GS  - (QoS done here) 
                     | |         \- Other Apartments
                     |+|             + Separate Vlans, ports forwarded to each apt
                 My Apartment Router WRT54GL - (with Protected G Wifi)
                  /              \*\                 *is a vlan, on a separate subnet 
         Gigabit Switch         Public G Wifi         to keep the riffraff off my LAN.
          /     |    \
     Printer  PCs   WRT150N (N-Wifi WPA)

I agree completely, TechZ. I do the same thing, although my setup is considerably more complicated. I have something like the following:

Code:
                 Internet
                     |
          /     |    \

diagram.png

D:

Code:
                 Internet
                     |
          /     |    \

I see you use the 54GS as pretty much your "top" most router, would you trust a WRT150N (or any of the newer linksys) to that job? Or something a bit lower like the Regular 54G. Ofc all of them running OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

I picked up a D-Link DIR-655 over the summer and couldn't be more happy with it. Does everything I want and more, no need to hack it, it has all the features you could conceivably want.

Has everything you seem to want besides the hackability....Wireless-N, Gigabit

I see you use the 54GS as pretty much your "top" most router, would you trust a WRT150N (or any of the newer linksys) to that job? Or something a bit lower like the Regular 54G. Ofc all of them running OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

I use the WRT54G based models as my top two routers because that's what I had available when I set up that neteork. I use the WRT54GS as the main router because it's doing deep packet inspection for the QoS, and has to do a lot of connection tracking, so the extra ram (32Mb vs 16 on the 54GL) is helpful. The WRT150N has enough power for the average home lan, and I haven't had any trouble with it.