A 'very grim' meeting

The thing is the BBC isn't allowed to set the market rate for talent - it can only reflect it. So if ITV can and will pay ?5 million a year for someone like Graham Norton then the BBC is allowed to match it - remember though that the sum paid to 'the star' will often also include the rights to the show they came up with and in the case of Jonathan Ross - a full on production.

As ITV, Channel 4, Sky et al can no longer pay that sort of sum for talent the BBC has to re-negotiate or they'll find themselves in a position where they are setting a market rate - stars won't go elsewhere because the BBC can use its public, guaranteed money to pay them more.

So the BBC have to reduce what they pay stars in line with what the commercial broadcasters pay.

...which, looking over to the "Obama Motors" news section, is a very reasonable rule. It makes the BBC able to compete with commercial broadcasters without being able to use taxpayer's money to bully a privately-run competitior out of the market.

I think Clarkson, Wogan et al will probably be philosophical about it. It was good while it lasted etc.

I know these people work very hard (and TV is a lot harder grind than people think) but $5 million to present a chat show... really...!

I seriously doubt if Clarkson is worried - he and Wilman earn so much from the rights to TG, merchandise and TG Live I can't imagine them sobbing into their Cornflakes any time soon. As for May and Hammond.....Slow is happy with enough money for beer, pies and the odd classic motorbike and a weekly curry with Woman and the Hamster is such a media whore he'll find a way to make up any shortfall (with the exception of that in his stature of course!;))

The Guardian said:
The BBC is reacting to public outrage at what is regarded as excessive talent pay, particularly Ross's three-year deal, thought to be worth ?16.9m.

Well guess what, if people are so steamed about Ross' salary, then maybe they shouldn't watch his chat show. Someone at the BBC had to OK that (admittedly) outrageous sum.

The Guardian said:
The BBC has cut 7,200 jobs over the past four and a half years, with another 1,200 to go, and is making efficiency savings totalling ?1.9bn over the licence fee period up to 2013.

All it needs to do is negotiate another couple of contracts like Ross' and there won't be any techies left! Just imagine Jeremy holding the camera while Captain Slow and Richard are doing their bits!

I seriously doubt if Clarkson is worried - he and Wilman earn so much from the rights to TG, merchandise and TG Live I can't imagine them sobbing into their Cornflakes any time soon. As for May and Hammond.....Slow is happy with enough money for beer, pies and the odd classic motorbike and a weekly curry with Woman and the Hamster is such a media whore he'll find a way to make up any shortfall (with the exception of that in his stature of course!;))

Hear, Hear !

Mr, Speaker, I fully agree with the Honourable Member for Hove, the Lord Works-Fine. :)

*sits down*

Yeah, I have difficulty feeling bad for people taking a pay cut which effectively brings their salary down to 100X what mine is. Entertainers are overpaid as it is. I think Clarkson and the rest probably won't even feel the dent.

If Clarkson is ever fed up, I'll gladly take over his job for no pay at all. Heck, I'll even pay the BBC ?500 a year if they let me do it.

It's utter BS if you ask me; Clarkson deserves that money based on the results which TG has delivered. If it wasn't for his show's popularity worldwide, then TG World Tour wouldn't have happened, nor TG AU or TG RU.

I hope it won't come to a situation where JC leaves, but if he does I'll totally agree with him. Why would I want to work for an organization which screws up time and time again, promotes managers with salaries much higher than JC's and then have him face such an absurd situation.

Also, Clarkson is like what 47-48? Don't you think him working his ass off for past several decades should warrant top notch and fair compensation? He's not some late 20's punk at BBC management. I don't think he started making serious money until 2003-2004.

I'm sorry, but I won't be joining the "entertainers are overpaid" nonsense, because that's precisely what it is, that, and lack of industry knowledge. Typical poor person's ignorant attitude.

Last edited:
Also, Clarkson is like what 47-48? Don't you think him working his ass off for past several decades should warrant top notch and fair compensation? He's not some late 20's punk at BBC management. I don't think he started making serious money until 2003-2004.

He's 49.

Anyway, I doubt he's worried.

I'm sorry, but I won't be joining the "entertainers are overpaid" nonsense, because that's precisely what it is, that, and lack of industry knowledge. Typical poor person's ignorant attitude.

Says the guy whose avatar clearly states how much he knows about life. But personal attacks aside it basically is questionable if JC's salary as a presenter is appropriate in it's current amount. As has been stated above, the royalties he and Wilman receive for the creation of "new" TG and every product associated with it, most likely are not part of this salary.
On top of that, again, as has been stated above, the idea behind this pay cut is to match BBC employee's salarys with those paid py privately-owned competitors. So, ideology aside, compared to what other top industry figures are paid, the BBC's top presenters are overpaid. As the BBC uses taxpayer's money to pay their salaries, they are not allowed to set a standard for top staff salaries, they are only allowed to match the industry standard. This little rule means that the BBC can't use it's secure funding from taxpayer's money to snatch away the creative staff of all competitors while still being able to match (almost) any offer they may make, preventing the BBC from being drained by the private corporations. Thus, in the interest of the free market, the overpayment of JC & Co has to be stopped.

And it's not about them not recieving "fair compensation" for a life's work - a bit less than 100000 pounds a year (that's around 13.000 of your U.S. Dollars a month), healthcare and pension plan already paid for as we got a working social system in Europe is not exactely toy money. Especially with royalities for Top Gear AND side jobs (like yearly supercar DVDs, TG live appearances, etc) on top of it.

Your entry, Roadster, is a typical example of poor reader's ignorant attitude.

(Sorry if this entry is a little bit of a personal attack, but this "poor person's" angle was so bad manners i am unwilling to ignore it)

Last edited:
Not only will Clarkson lose a large chunk of his salary due to BBC cutbacks, but also he'll now fall into "new" Labour's 50% tax band for incomes over ?150,000, which was only at 40% six months ago.

Britain is over-run by people who wish to punish people who are successful at capitalism. My grandfather was taxed at 83% by the last labour government and was minutes away from emmigrating to Australia, so I sympathise with Doctor Clarkson on this issue.

Not only will Clarkson lose a large chunk of his salary due to BBC cutbacks, but also he'll now fall into "new" Labour's 50% tax band for incomes over ?150,000, which was only at 40% six months ago.

Britain is over-run by people who wish to punish people who are successful at capitalism. My grandfather was taxed at 83% by the last labour government and was minutes away from emmigrating to Australia, so I sympathise with Doctor Clarkson on this issue.

Could we please leave politics out of this sub-forum at least? Mod, please delete my post and the one i quoted.

As the BBC uses taxpayer's money to pay their salaries, [....]means that the BBC can't use it's secure funding from taxpayer's money

I've bolded the bits that are just plain wrong.

And your argument basically boils down to "ITV are going bankrupt because they've produced nothing but shit for a decade, therefore the BBC should start cutting wages".

Reactions: MWF
To be honest I'm not bothered how much they get paid, be it ?50,000 or ?5 million. License fee money has to cover the rest of the BBC too, so if it's needed elsewhere then so be it.

As for tax, well that's the same for anyone who earns that amount of money in this country, and compared to some people Clarkson and Ross are probably earning a lot for what they do. They are really earning their money for who they are, which is what come from being a celebrity.

Anyway, I won't be loosing sleep over this.

I've bolded the bits that are just plain wrong.

And your argument basically boils down to "ITV are going bankrupt because they've produced nothing but shit for a decade, therefore the BBC should start cutting wages".

I know it's a broadcast license fee, but as it's mandatory it's more or less the same...