ABC's "Castle"

S07E01 "Driven"

S07E01 "Driven"

Obviously, spoilers for the ep ahead...

Eye-Q: Well, it's still possible it's both. :D

Overall, I liked the ep. The whole amnesia angle was kind of expected because they needed something to "reset" the relationship between Beckett and Castle (up to a point).
But the way they set it up was not expected. So now we have two month of mysterious activity for them to uncover which has the potential for several good episodes and a good season-wide story arc. Let's just hope they don't leave that largely unused like they tended to do with such stories in the past (Bracken).

A negative point for me: The ep rushed through a two-month timeframe without taking the time to appreciate how much the loss of Castle has to affect his family, friends and first and foremost his wife-to-be. I realize Castle is a lighthearted show at heart, but there was some drama missing here.

In the end, I hope this was a season opener in the literal sense: a first ep setting up the rest of the season. If that's not the case, it was indeed a wasted opportunity.

Definitely the most gripping episode we've had in a while. I'm looking forward to this season!

'twas ok. Not too far in I started saying to myself "please don't turn this into some amnesia story, be it temporary completely or just for the timespan in question.. and sure enough thats what I get.. welp.

I think the episode from yesterday was pretty good...
...even though it seems the whole disappearance-plot is going to be over very soon.
Fortunately they didn't concentrate on that plot the whole episode, otherwise it would have been a bit boring, having two episodes of nothing else than that.

I feel much the same way. And I'm very disappointed in the treatment of the whole disappearance plot, but to be honest, I didn't expect anything else. The show consistently underuses any season/myth arc elements it hints at having.

The more I think about it, it could lead to surprising twists when something comes up which happened in those 2 months and neither Castle remembers nor the viewer knows. Additionally, the relationship between Castle and Beckett isn't that stable anymore, with Castle being disappointed they wait one more month to get married, that could lead to some friction between them.

it could lead to surprising twists when something comes up which happened in those 2 months and neither Castle remembers nor the viewer knows. [...]

... wich fell out of the convienence-dimension when the writers had no more ideas how they could come up with another overarching plot to fill a whole new season ... or more. You don?t have to run a show untill nobody watches it anymore. You can just wrap stuff up at some point and end on a high note. Don?t just keep adding shit untill it reeks. I?ve seen so many Tv-shows go down that road and just piss of their fans with their last season(s).

I?m tired of this. I hate the shows who come around with these big stories to hold the show together and when they can?t squeeze another year out of one of those, they just come up with new, worse ideas. This season of Castle especially stinks of "we?ll make it up as we go along because we?ve actually not come up with it" ... the worst case of ham-handed story writing.

I think I?ve said this before, but so for there to be no misunderstandings - I like Castle for the Cases. Those are funny and interesting. I can do without the rest. But the way things started out now, I have little faith in the cases-part of Castle too.

Last edited:
It seems (or rather I hope) episode 3 will be classic Castle-goofieness...

[video=youtube;-iw9yXH6njE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iw9yXH6njE[/video]

Just caught up and now I know why I prefer binging shows to waiting every week, I NEED to know what happens next, will catch up with another show meanwhile I guess

OK, let's talk about episode 3, 4 and 5...

Episode 3:
Of course it was something secret government stuff, but there were some things which really stuck out like a sore thumb: How the hell can a police detective and a mystery writer get such an open sight to the hacked top-secret systems, even though their identities were checked? And why did nobody of the oh-so-high-paid agents bother looking what kind of symbol that was between all the chinese symbols? Additionally, how long does a conventional fire extinguisher last? I don't think it would be enough to fill a whole room with smoke...

Other than that, it was enjoyable, once again some crazy Castle-theories. :lol: And Ryan's moonlighting... :D

Episode 4:
Castle trying to be 9 years old and having no idea how cruel kids can be... :lol:

In the end Castle did learn something from the children and applied the learned lesson to catch the killer.

Episode 5:
"Did you just call me 'mam'?" :lol:
"It's just a blip in the net continuum"

One thing though: How can Ryan and Esposito get so quickly to the killer's old high school? The odds that it is within a 5-minute drive of the precinct are extremely low...

OK, about ep 7x05...

How can Ryan and Esposito get so quickly to the killer's old high school? The odds that it is within a 5-minute drive of the precinct are extremely low...
Exactly what I thought, especially because they highlighted the extremely short countdown so much.

Apart from that, it was obvious from the start that the it was a serial killer - why else would they have Castle do some Internet marketing thing in the opening?

That was indeed an odd one. Also nfi how that one guy got the two CEOs of a company out of their office at business hour and tied them both up.. I mean sure there are ways and possibilities, but man this entire episode was a stretch in that way..

The 8th episode was pretty serious, but that doesn't mean it was bad.

Episode 9 on the other hand... :D
So obviously The Expendables - a nordic bodybuilder which is a member of Mensa, Castle as fanboy of the old school action stars, the scene when "The Indestructables" and Castle go on their mission to get the slotcar... :clap: :D

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Now I am ready for the Expendables 3, no matter how bad it may be!

Just a quick reminder: Second half of season 7 begins the day after tomorrow (Jan 12th). :)

Now let's see how they'll get her back into NYPD or if they'll have them start a private investigations firm. That would actually be pretty awesome and would make for some great neo-noir parody episodes before the NYPD finally takes the dynamic duo back.
The Castle authors read FinalGear and my wish was finally granted! It was awesome!

w00t! A classic X-Files reference in the telenovela ep!

You're a week behind. :p

Latest episode, "I, Witness": They continue to milk the P.I. storyline for classic detective stories, and it's glorious. But: In this case the plot rested on Castle not calling 911 immediately when he witnessed a murder being committed (or at least the victim being transported away), and then him going after a murderer in a dark wood, marking himself with a flashlight. That was too much stupidity for a character usually displaying much more genre savviness.

Last edited: