About that "Manual Transmissions Are A Security Feature" concept...

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
http://abc13.com/news/carjacker-kills-father-because-car-isnt-automatic-transmission/1796915/ - Video at link.

Man killed because carjacker is mad over manual transmission

HOUSTON (KTRK) --
A father was shot and killed in front of his wife and 10-year-old daughter after being carjacked because the killer didn't know how to use a manual transmission, police said.

Pedro Aguilar, 47, was in his car on the street in front of an apartment complex when two men in their late teens to early 20's approached him to carjack him, police said.

They weren't able to get the car into drive because it was a manual transmission, not an automatic, and shot the man in anger, police said.

The victim died at the scene.

The two men fled the scene. Police have not released a description of the suspects.

Might want to re-think that.

I'm not really following the train of thought here. Or I am, but I don't like it. People should only buy automatic transmission equipped cars in places where they are likely to be carjacked so they won't be shot by people who habitually carry guns to jack cars? Or that whoever buys a manual car is asking to get shot?

I predict this will be a great thread with lots of valuable on-topic insight!

So two retarded assholes proved they were even bigger and more retarded assholes than might first have been thought. I hardly consider the transmission relevant.

Blaming the transmission for one man's death is the same kind of kneejerk bullshit thinking that means because one asshole tried to blow up a plane in flight with some chemicals in his sneakers the whole world has to take their shoes off when they go through airport security.

Wasn't blaming the transmission for the man's death, but was ridiculing the idea (that some here have espoused) that "if I have a manual transmission, nobody will steal my car and nothing bad will happen." Like "Security Through Obscurity," it's a stupid concept that doesn't always work as intended when it encounters reality.

I don't think anyone here meant that literally when he/she wrote it so I think this ridiculing is pretty pointless...

It could just as well have been a 90's PSA car that requires a PIN code to start, or a flat battery in any car.

This thread is pointless.

No but there could be an argument that says if you have a manual car in a country where the majority of cars are automatics your car is less of a target to car thieves because fewer will be able to drive a stick and in a parking lot full of slushboxes they will target those over yours. Didn't work out for this poor bastard but there is a certain amount of logic behind the overall thinking.

It might help in the US if someone tries to steal your car, no one ever mentioned anything about a car jacking....

It might help in the US if someone tries to steal your car, no one ever mentioned anything about a car jacking....

Precisely. An asshole with a gun is going to be an asshole and may use the gun regardless of your purchasing decision. One poor bastard got unlucky, but that is all. Had the article quoted his wife as saying "we bought a stick shift because we thought we would be less likely to be the victims of a car crime" then this thread might have merit. As it is it's just an example of shit bad luck and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Precisely. An asshole with a gun is going to be an asshole and may use the gun regardless of your purchasing decision. One poor bastard got unlucky, but that is all. Had the article quoted his wife as saying "we bought a stick shift because we thought we would be less likely to be the victims of a car crime" then this thread might have merit. As it is it's just an example of shit bad luck and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I thought you liked Spectre? :tease:

Oh jeez, thank god I have an automatic now, phew... I hope this mean I don't need a gun for self-protection now, I can just offer my car in exchange for my life.

Another excellent tip there, Spectre!

so guys I was just looking at the MR2 thread and...

Right.

Perhaps a new thread title may be in order.

It's that damned shitposter "Some here". I thought they got banned years ago.

There have been a few sources for that sentiment over the years. Namely from one site that shall not be named.

I'll buy what I damn will please. If I'm taken down by an idiot with a gun, so be it.

There have been a few sources for that sentiment over the years. Namely from one site that shall not be named.
It's fun to joke about since there have been a few (two?) cases where thieves ran away because they couldn't drive stick. I can't think of a single time when anyone suggested three pedals as a legitimate anti-theft device though.

It's fun to joke about since there have been a few (two?) cases where thieves ran away because they couldn't drive stick. I can't think of a single time when anyone suggested three pedals as a legitimate anti-theft device though.
I've seen at least three news pieces where the opposite happened, when thieves gave up because it was an automatic, so your mileage may vary depending on location. :lol: