Acceleration times - Fiction and Truth

Gayenne?

Also, seven point one seconds to sixty miles per hour. See how long it took to read that? Not very Porschisch.
Hell, you can buy a ginormous Skoda Superb estate that is half a second faster to 62 instead of 60.

The Cayenne is stupid no doubt about it, but it's a leader in its class (performance SUV) so it gets a pass.

A base Boxter gets beat by the V6 Stang by 0.5 seconds and starts at 22k vs 48....

It's not unrealistic in reality. It just is not appropriate for determining the fastest acceleration figures.

Um, assuming the carmakers did not blatantly lie, which I never suggested btw., the numbers they give ARE the fastest acceleration figures.

The whole point was to find out, how they compare to realistic day-to-day driving conditions.

Last edited:
Um, assuming the carmakers did not blatantly lie, which I never suggested btw., the numbers they give ARE the fastest acceleration figures.

The whole point was to find out, how they compare to realistic day-to-day driving conditions.

To quote the first line in your first post: "Leading German car magazine "Auto, Motor & Sport" asked the question, how close to reality and honest the carmakers are about the acceleration figures of their cars from 0-100 km/h."
A point was to test how honest the car makers are. In other words, check whether they lied or not.

To quote the first line in your first post: "Leading German car magazine "Auto, Motor & Sport" asked the question, how close to reality and honest the carmakers are about the acceleration figures of their cars from 0-100 km/h."
A point was to test how honest the car makers are. In other words, check whether they lied or not.

:rolleyes:

You mastered copy and paste. Congratulations.

But where did I (that means me personally) insinuate, that the carmakers lie about their numbers?

I, too, can only speculate about the motivation of AMS to use the headline "Sprint cheaters - factory numbers vs. reality" for their article. But if you read the article, then you will also notice, that they did not actually accused the carmakers of lying -- just of pimping the numbers a bit in their favour.

Last edited:
But where did I (that means me personally) insinuate, that the carmakers lie about their numbers?

Two can play at that game.

Where did I insinuate that you (that means you personally) insinuated that the carmakers lie about their numbers?

:tease:

By quoting me and not AMS

By quoting me and not AMS

Your quote stated the goal of AMS. I commented on the goal of AMS, which was not just to find out realistic values as you said on this page, but also to check for honesty/lies as you said in the OP.
What's the problem with that?

No problem. And I won't create one ;)

They cheat. I am sure that in the case of a couple of cars, they fit them with the stickiest slicks that will fit that car. And they also use different drive ratios for different tests, ie. a low gear(4.10 for example) for 0-60 & 1/4 mile, tall gear for high speed(2.92), etc.. If you pay close attention when you see the commercials or ads, you will see a little disclaimer in the corner that says something like *when properly equiped. I also know of one car that was stripped of just a little bit of the interior for it's 1/4 mile run on top of the sticky tires and lowest available gear set.

I don't pay attention to 0-100 km/h specs, 1/4 mile times and skid-pad ratings are much more interesting.

I don't pay attention to 0-100 km/h specs, 1/4 mile times and skid-pad ratings are much more interesting.

I don't pay attention to any of them. I go by experiences of people who have driven the cars and have similar preferences to mine. My mindset is you can always modify a car to minimize/eliminate any shortcomings.

My mindset is that I'll never activate a stopwatch at a red light. Once there's a minimum level of acceleration it doesn't matter as much to have more of it.

I don't pay attention to any of them. I go by experiences of people who have driven the cars and have similar preferences to mine. My mindset is you can always modify a car to minimize/eliminate any shortcomings.

Of course but if you could only go by the numbers, 1/4 mile time is a better indication than 0-100 km/h.

The only kind of acceleration that really matters to me, is this:

[video=youtube;CWxE_un-eKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxE_un-eKk[/video]