Ads will soon be appearing in your online bank accounts.

I don't do my banking online. I don't understand why people do when there is no way to guarantee security.

There's no method of guaranteeing security for anything. Phone can be tapped, staff can be crooked. In fact if you're not an internet security mong then potentially online banking is the best way to go.

You take almost all of the right precautions and that is really good. But do you trust the staff at your local bank? What about the various managers that have access to your information? I don't. They are the weak links in the system. They are prone to mistakes and extortion or getting revenge when they feel that they are about to lose their job.

Fixed that for you. You might want to try hiding your cash under your mattress.

Or maybe just hide all of your money in an old pillowcase under your bed if you are so inclined, just make sure you tinfoil the bottom of your bed and your ceiling to make sure they don't see it, but then again if you're that type of person you've probably already done that.

Sometimes we just have to accept that some things have security flaws beyond our control and careful monitoring can save your ass.

Damn you argatoga :shakefist:

You guys are forgetting the postman. If you are not doing it online you must be getting monthly statements right?
Personally I trust the staff of the bank more than my postman who is always late delivering the mail and sometimes delivers it damaged or not at all (anything that is to be signed for he doesn't bother ringing the doorbell and makes me make the trip in).

Online systems are more secure than paper. Think about using a debit card versus a check. A debit card is slid in the machine and you enter your PIN, the transaction is processed by machine. The only human interaction is the teller entering the cost, and you see that happen right in front of you. On the other hand you write down the amount on a bit of paper that has your account and routing number, name, address, phone number and Driver's license number (thanks to the paranoia of bad checks). The check can be "washed" by scammers and re-written; that check has to be handled by the clerk, handled by the manager who takes it to the bank, handled by the bank teller, sent to your bank, handled by the teller at your bank, etc. Every one of those is a point of failure.

The point of failure in most online systems is with the user, not the system.

Last edited: