AFL

Cricket + Beer + Chicks + Sun + Adelaide Oval = Win :woot:

No question, but it's so boring to watch on TV!

Anyway, I take it the Crows won tonight? They were 40 points up when I left The Tavern (rubbish poker night) and unfortunately that was a little high for my liking seeing as I reckoned they'd win by 20 points. If I was right, I would've taken home a shitload of booze. :D

Im on 4 of 5 in my footy tips so far. Damn Saints losing.

Speaking of Cricket, anyone know who's coming to Australia this series?

Well, Channel 7 is in a bit of strife!

Brownlow boycott looms

AFL players are considering a boycott of the Seven Network's Brownlow Medal presentation in retaliation for the television channel publicising the medical records of two players.

Seven aired controversial allegations involving an AFL club and its players on Friday.

The allegations in that report were based on medical records a woman sold to Seven, claiming she had found them "in the gutter" outside a rehabilitation clinic in Melbourne.

The club and players cannot be named for legal reasons following a temporary Victorian Supreme Court injunction, which has been granted until Thursday.

The injunction also prevents publication of the allegations involved in the matter.

Seething players are believed to be considering snubbing the league's best and fairest presentation next month, which will be televised by Seven, as well as shunning post-match interviews the network conducts as part of its AFL broadcasts.

AFL Players' Association (AFLPA) chief executive Brendon Gale joined the widespread condemnation of Seven's decision to pay for the medical records and make them public.

He described it as the most serious issue which has faced his association in recent times and a "blatant breach of trust".

Gale said he was continuing to talk to the players about how they might react to the publication of the documents, but has not ruled any direct revolt against Seven and a possible Brownlow black-ban.

"Why would they co-operate and support an organisation that has been involved in such a blatant betrayal and breach of trust?" Gale asked.

"The feeling, after speaking to our members at length this morning, and certainly our executive, is one of absolute outrage and disgust.

"I think the issue is that serious it does require some action.

"This is a line too far. This is unethical - I'd suggest it's unlawful. It's just too far."

The issue of how Seven came upon the documents has now become a full-blown police investigation.

Victoria Police today raided the network's Docklands office as part of an investigation into the alleged theft of the medical records involved and confirmed they had seized a number of documents under warrant.

Seven had co-operated with the investigation, police said.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said it was "obscene" that confidential medical records would be offered for sale and made public.

Victorian Health Services Commissioner Beth Wilson said she was "personally astonished" that Seven used medical records for an AFL story.

Wilson added she was pleased the police were investigating how Seven were able to gain possession of records.

"In the commissioner's opinion, purchasing medical records, which may have been stolen, is highly unethical behaviour," the health services office said in a statement.

"People should be able to seek health services without fear that their private details will be splashed all over the media."

Police said tonight they had charged a 36-year-old man and a 31-year-old woman with theft in relation to medical documents reported stolen from a rehabilitation centre.

The pair, both from Ivanhoe West, have been charged and bailed to appear in Heidelberg Magistrates Court in Melbourne on October 31.

Source

I expect Network 10 to fully milk this for all its worth!

I'm surprised because Alex Hart, who is a news reporter for Ch 10 was a guest in my sports media tutorial at uni a couple of weeks ago and he stressed that there was a certain code of professionalism and ethical conduct that TV stations (generally) observe. It comes back to that notion of good-will which is part of the reason why if there's a big scandal involving sports players, it will be covered by the station's political reporter and not the sports reporter so as not to damage the sports reporter's reputation amongst those in the sporting industry.

So for Seven to blatently step over the ethical boundary is surprising. On the other hand, it's no surprise at all...:p
There will be a lot of mistrust now, and could be potentially very damaging for the network.

Last edited:
I expect Network 10 to fully milk this for all its worth!

I'm surprised because Alex Hart, who is a news reporter for Ch 10 was a guest in my sports media tutorial at uni a couple of weeks ago and he stressed that there was a certain code of professionalism and ethical conduct that TV stations (generally) observe. It comes back to that notion of good-will which is part of the reason why if there's a big scandal involving sports players, it will be covered by the station's political reporter and not the sports reporter so as not to damage the sports reporter's reputation amongst those in the sporting industry.

So for Seven to blatently step over the ethical boundary is surprising. On the other hand, it's no surprise at all...:p
There will be a lot of mistrust now, and could be potentially very damaging for the network.

You should watch the show frontline with rob sitch ;)

Players are threatening to not do any interviews with Seven over the weekend.

EDIT:

AFL stars begin Seven boycott

AFL stars have begun to issue bans against Channel 7 after it broadcast details of players drug taking using allegedly stolen medical records.
AFL Players Association President Joel Bowden is leading the revolt, issuing the snub at a Richmond press conference this afternoon.

Journalists were told at the scheduled media briefing by coach Terry Wallace, that players would not take questions from Seven Network journalists.

And Channel 7 reported tonight that Collingwood and Adelaide Crows players had refused to speak to them today.

The development follows a series of threats by players and their representatives threatening to refuse to co-operate with Channel 7.

AFL players are also considering a boycott of the network's Brownlow Medal presentation in retaliation for the television channel making public the medical records of two players.

And Collingwood management have backed their players' intentions to refuse all interview requests from the Seven Network in Friday night's game Adelaide in retribution over a report alleging drug use at an AFL club.

Magpie and Crows players are expected to refuse interview requests from Seven before and after Friday night's game at Telstra Dome, which will broadcast by the network.

Collingwood chief executive Gary Pert today issued a statement supporting the players' stance, which is expected to include a refusal to work with Seven for a week.

"The club will fully support the playing group in whatever action they choose to take against Channel 7 in response to the recent leaking of confidential medical reports," Pert said.

"The Collingwood Football Club (has) discussed the issues with the player leadership group and if they choose to make themselves unavailable to Channel 7, then the club will provide a spokesperson from outside the player group to meet its media and sponsor obligations."

The documents at the centre of the latest AFL drugs controversy were reported stolen from an Ivanhoe rehabilitation clinic on Saturday morning, hours after Channel 7 broadcast allegations of widespread drug abuse at a top Melbourne club citing the medical records as evidence.

Seven last Friday reported allegations involving an AFL club and its players, citing the players' medical records from a drug rehabilitation clinic.

The club and players cannot be named for legal reasons following a Victorian Supreme Court injunction.

Police have charged a man, 36, and a woman, 31, with the theft of the medical records.

Detectives from Heidelberg CIU yesterday executed search warrants on 7's Docklands offices in connection with the inquiry.

A 36-year-old man and a 31-year-old woman from Ivanhoe West were last night charged with theft. They will appear in court in October.

The woman, who is believed to have sold the documents to Seven for $3000, claimed to have found them in a gutter outside the Ivanhoe clinic.

But she is alleged to have committed an offence, known commonly as "theft by finding", because she assumed the rights of the property's owner.

Seven's actions in paying for the documents have also come under police scrutiny.

Melbourne lawyer James Dowsley said it would need to be established Seven knew or believed the records were stolen before charges of handling stolen goods could be laid.

Police are believed to be checking for any link between the source of the story and anybody connected with the clinic.

A Victoria Police spokesman said a number of documents had been seized from 7 and that the station had been co-operative with detectives.

"As investigations are continuing, it would be inappropriate to comment at this stage."

Seven named the drugs and the club involved but not the players.

Information in the hand-written records, including the club, its players and the type of substances allegedly used, cannot be revealed.

An injunction preventing public identification of the players and other details stands until a further court hearing on Thursday.

Under the AFL's controversial drugs policy, club officials are not told of a player's drug use until he returns three positive tests.

That policy, introduced for the 2005 season, has sparked major community debate.

AFL Players' Association (AFLPA) chief executive Brendon Gale yesterday joined the widespread condemnation of Seven's decision to pay for the medical records and make them public.

He described it as the most serious issue which has faced his association in recent times and a "blatant breach of trust".

Gale said he was continuing to talk to the players about how they might react to the publication of the documents, but has not ruled any direct revolt against Seven and a possible Brownlow black-ban.

"Why would they co-operate and support an organisation that has been involved in such a blatant betrayal and breach of trust?" Gale asked.

"The feeling, after speaking to our members at length this morning, and certainly our executive, is one of absolute outrage and disgust.

"I think the issue is that serious it does require some action.

"This is a line too far. This is unethical - I'd suggest it's unlawful. It's just too far."

The issue of how Seven came upon the documents has now become a full-blown police investigation.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said it was "obscene" that confidential medical records would be offered for sale and made public.

"People should be able to seek health services without fear that their private details will be splashed all over the media."

Source

Last edited:
Its a classic ABC comedy series that started it all for the Working Dog team.

it's really cheap at JB at the moment, I recommend buying it (if you don't like it it's all HondaF1's fault... :p)

^ Yeah Yeah, Blame the Honda man!! :?

Haha, Today Tonight is getting Channel 7 into big trouble. They just ran a story having a go at the AFL and Players and they still maintain that someone sold it to them who found it in a gutter.

Oh dear, Seven is stuffed.

Haha, Today Tonight is getting Channel 7 into big trouble. They just ran a story having a go at the AFL and Players and they still maintain that someone sold it to them who found it in a gutter.

Oh dear, Seven is stuffed.

I don't suppose there's a slim chance anyone taped that did they? I would've liked to have seen that...:(

I stumbled across it by accident.

It was hilarious. They were trying to defend their actions and the reporter who broke it. I was laughing through it :lol:

If yoy have Foxtel, then it will be on replay on Sky News late tonight.

Will this suffice?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-04KEP918Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2QGU68XELY[/youtube]

^ I thought you had actually found the proper video :(

Fuck Channel 7, seriously, what they did is disgraceful and I applaud the AFLPA and it's members for taking a stand.

Medical records don't just end up in a gutter, they had to be stolen, there is no other way... I think it also reflects on how poor Channel 7's judgement was, apparently the records were offered up to 9 and 10 but they didn't want a bar of it and then 7 pays $3000 for them. Chequebook journalism at it's worst.

If the TT report appears on You Tube, I'll post it. It was so pathetic.

Edit:

From foxsports.com.au

However, Seven also criticised the AFL and the AFLPA for their attack on the reporter who broke the story, Dylan Howard, rather than focusing on the contents of the report.

A report on Seven's Today Tonight accused AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou of "playing the man and not the ball", and said AFLPA chief executive Brendon Gale "sounded more like a jilted girlfriend than a footy official" at Monday's press conference.

2nd Edit:

Apparently, the club said to be heavily involved in drugs is Hawthorn.

Last edited: