After desert crash, motorcycle racer rides 14 more miles with broken ribs, collapsed

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/02/after-desert-crash-motorcycle-racer-rides-14-more-miles-with-br/

Endurance off-road racing is brutal, and riders willing to tackle the open desert on a motorcycle are as tough as they are adventurous. Sam Longson, competing in the Best in the Desert "Vegas to Reno" race on August 17, showed just how rough off-road racing can be when he rode his bike the final 14 miles of the race with three broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung.

After riding 520 miles of the 534-mile event (known as the "Longest Off-Road Race in the United States"), Longson crashed his Yamaha after hitting what appears to be loose gravel over the trail. The incident occurs at the 4:30 mark of the video, at which point Longson flies back-first into the rock-strewn terrain.

Being in such a remote location meant Longson was far from help, so he hopped back on his bike, took a quick breather and headed for the finish line. Through the rest of the video, you hear him groaning in pain as he rides over the rough terrain. Despite all that, he finished the race in 38th place overall and third in his class.

The ordeal, recorded on Longson's helmet camera, is posted below. Note that the audio contains some explicit language, particularly (and understandably) in the portion following the crash.

The guy on the 4 wheeler didn't stop to help? And I could only watch about a minute after his accident of that before I had to shut it off. Damn, I would have still been lying there screaming for help!

In the daze he could have said okay. When I broke my collier bone I did the same right after to someone who asked.

In the daze he could have said okay. When I broke my collier bone I did the same right after to someone who asked.

Me too, 4 days later was a different story.

He slowed down and asked if he was alright, but whatever response he got from the rider must have convinced him he was okay.

Ah, I didn't think of that. But I still can't imagine even trying to get back on my own..I'm such a wuss.

He slowed down and asked if he was alright, but whatever response he got from the rider must have convinced him he was okay.

After my crash it took me 20 minutes to realize I broke my arm in two places. Endorphins are pretty powerful at shutting out pain.

Indeed, few weeks ago one of the regulars walked into 'our' pub after falling of his bike a few miles away, he was quite clearly not alright, yet he was convinced he was, he rode his bicycle for the last couple of miles with what later would turn out to be a broken arm and 2 cracked ribs.

Of course if he would have been in a car like a sane person this would not have happened.......

lol a few days ago i was clearing some bushes in our garden, with short trousers. Of course stuff hits my legs all the time and i don't think much of it. But then i look down, only to find that a huge rusty nail (0,5cm diameter) is sticking into my lower leg :blink:

If I hadn't seen it, I would've continued until i ran out of gas.

No match for the injuries of that guy in the vid, but still does show the power of adrenaline.

While hardly near this guy's experience, I've fallen off my mountain bike on trails and had to bike several miles bleeding all the way.