After motherboard upgrade, wifi NICs stop working, but wired LAN still works

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
I recently upgraded a Sandy Bridge desktop to an AMD setup with a new motherboard and CPU, also upgrading the GPU in the process, but with the rest of the system (and software, including an install of Windows 7 Professional x64 ) remaining the same. Somehow, in the process of upgrading, my PCIe wifi card stopped recognizing any networks at all, refusing to find any signals even where I could verify, using other computers, that said networks did indeed exist. Updating the latest device drivers didn't help; I also tried using a USB NIC, but I had the same problem, even after trying to disable and re-enable the device in Device Manager. Looking at the wireless network status under Network Connections, i'm getting a stubborn 0 packets in both the sent and received counters.

If I do connect it directly to my router with an Ethernet cable via the on-motherboard adapter, it works fine, but I need to use the computer in a part of my apartment that I can't connect via a wired connection. Am I missing something in trying to get this thing to work? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wifi drivers with both my firewall and antivirus disabled, in case they were blocking something, but still no luck; the system sees the adapter and says it's working properly, but it won't recognize the existence of any networks.

Answered my own question: uninstall ZoneAlarm and everything will be alright.