Aftermarket Lightning cables?

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
I'm due for a new (i)phone this fall, so I'll have to buy a few Lightning cables. I have maybe 5-6 30-pin cables in use right now. The car, at work, nightstand, desk etc. Having only one would be a pain in the ass.

I don't own any lightning devices atm so I have zero experience with the standard. When it was new I kept hearing complaints about built-in chips that would make it difficult or impossible to produce aftermarket knockoffs. Is that still the case? I'm seeing cheapish cables on dealextreme among others. Do they work?

As far as I've heard, these aftermarket cables might have a tendency to burn the iPhone's charging mechanism.

What he said.

Also from what I understand they would not be orientation independent.

*puts on miners hat*

I've been looking recently for a very short charge cable, to go from the usb port in my car, to the phone cradle above it. Only needs to be a few inches long. Wondering if anyone can recommend any cables, now they've been out for awhile.

That may just work, thanks!

My other option was looking to be an adaptor from eBay, as I have a couple of USB to micro USB cables which are about the right length.

Ended up buying this from a shop in Melbourne. I've read a couple of reviews that say it's decent, and isn't going to stop working the second time I use it.

dc-158_1.jpg

There's also stuff like this or this.

The Amazon Basics cables have been a mixed bag for me. I've now had 5, and 2 went bad, all with several different thicknesses of wire and reinforcement at the ends where it joins the plugs.

I bought a handful of dirt cheap eBay knockoffs when I got my first Lightning iPhone. They all failed within a few weeks at most.
All of the ones I use at the moment are OEM except for a Belkin one I picked up cheap. I use that one for charging my phone every night and it's been fine so far.

Anker stuff is good. I have a bluetooth speaker, a 6-port 230V USB charger and a 5-port 12V USB charger. Last week I ordered a power bank and an USB-C cable as well.

Cable arrived 4 days after ordering, so it's been in use for a week or so now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452832815.724773.jpg

Happy with it so far.
Also noticed that my phone charges rather quickly in the car. Was on 4% when I left work last night, and was at 20% when I arrived home 12 minutes later.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just ordered these for my girlfriend, and they turned out great.