Airplane or airport experiences...

Assigned seating, and their rewards programs?

most of them have a form of loyalty programs and only the cheap of cheap don't have assigned seating

I paid $20 more to fly Qantas over to the U.S over united for my next flight, a no brainer at that price (and still complimentary alcohol)

The Delta flight I'm on right now still has that new plane smell. The pilot just announced this 737-900 just left Boeing's factory 15 days ago.

So, it didn't smell like farts, weird salads, and general nastiness?

Exactly. It was all rather nice.

had my flight to the states with Qantas the other day, they've really lifted their game in the food and service departments.

I am 100% serious when I say that I had better food on Qantas in economy than I did on united in business class on my last trip

Flew DTW<>BOS over the weekend on United. All other things aside, the snacks were AMAZING.

cnJl1VL.png

So good infact that I just ordered a bag of 25. I just wish they sold it in normal, non-airline, sized packaging.

Last edited:
vueling's A320-200 has recently thoroughly earned its new #1 spot on the most uncomfortable seating ever leader board :shakefist:

Yeah, I've flown in numerous United owned A320's and they're awful. But, I haven't really found one that's even acceptable in my 5 years of air travel.

If you really wanna fly awful, try a Spirit A320. Will make all the other US airlines seem like luxury carriers.

Yeah, I've flown in numerous United owned A320's and they're awful. But, I haven't really found one that's even acceptable in my 5 years of air travel.

Oh the Germanwings A319 last week was acceptable. No more, no less... But at 33? a leg I can't expect more :D

So I'm in a newly refurbished Delta A320 right now. The team that designed and approved the new lighting strategy needs to be shot. The plane has an ambient ceiling light up the aisle above the overhead bins that is set to a bright blue. Blue is literally the worst for nighttime illumination.

NknrlJ5.jpg

And the personal reading lights are just as bad if not worse. They're non-adjustable unfocused extra bright LEDs that flood the whole area rather than concentrate light on the seat. The lady behind me has hers on, and the light is so powerful I feel like I'm sitting in fucking daylight.

All I want to do is sleep on this 10pm flight, but when I close my eyes, its pretty much just as bright as with my eyes open. Sure its prettier and sleeker and more high tech, but in my opinion, its a step backwards in passenger comfort.

EDIT: They dimmed the ambient lighting for landing.

ehnGrui.jpg

This is how we should've been flying the whole time. This photo really shows how bright the personal reading lights are.

Last edited:
Never been on an A320. United's Boeing 737's have the same ambient lighting. Typically though, the flight attendants switch it off during flight. It's only on during landing's and at the gate. I've been on some 777's that their reading lights are so high up that everybody within the a two seat circle are fucked for sleeping.

Never been on an A320. United's Boeing 737's have the same ambient lighting. Typically though, the flight attendants switch it off during flight. It's only on during landing's and at the gate. I've been on some 777's that their reading lights are so high up that everybody within the a two seat circle are fucked for sleeping.

Was just the opposite here. Off for landing, on for rest of flight.

Virgin America has one of the best interiors for an A320. Lufthansa's isn't so bad either IMO.

Week before Christmas, I was in California. Sacremento's airport is nice. Small and everything's nearby.

My return flight was LAX. The Hertz return section is weird. You pull in and there's really no signage for "RETURN CAR HERE" besides the usual "this is where you go from off the road and don't backup or the tires will be shredded." I ended up parking in a space, noting my own mileage and fuel and walking to the shuttle bus. San Fran's wonderful fully lit garage with people and clear signage is worlds better. They also don't have a highway ring road like most airports. LAX is much like Manchester New Hampshire's. Just z sort of a city street and all in a sudden you're at the airport. I can't give a proper review of the terminals at LAX because a lot of it was under renovation. Signage was clear, no pigeons like Newark, and cleaner than Laguardia. Fuck Laguardia.

I'm quite surprised for as big and busy as LAX is, it's set up externally like a small regional airport and not like a big international hub like O'Hare, Seattle/Tacoma, Atlanta, or Miami.

Last edited:
Waking up in a cabin due to commotion, smoke and a stench of burnt electronics is far less annoying than it could be if your brain instantly thinks "ah, burning phone or some such". Still, I'm glad the crew (Air India) got it under control quickly and we didn't have to land in rural Uzbekistan.

Delta just can't seem to get their cabin illumination right (or consistent). Higher up in this thread I complained about the blue lights and the LED personal lights - didn't have either of those issues on today's 6am from BWI to DTW, but instead, had an overly bright seatbelt sign.

pWQcjHH.jpg

tLoCpik.jpg

The second image really captures how bright it is. All of that illumination was seat belt signs. Made it really difficult to sleep onboard.

On the plus side, I got a surprise free upgrade to Comfort+. Booked a Basic Economy fare so didn't get a seat assignment until check-in. Checked-in and saw my seat in row 28, way too far back for my liking. The seat map showed rows 10-12 as Comfort+ and 1 open seat in row 13, so I switched to that. Getting on the plane, turned out that rows 10-15 were Comfort+, including my seat. Woo!

Last edited: