All things crispy and crunchy

Buktu

Car(s)
Suzuki Swift 1.3 2006
Just found Salt&Vinegar chips at the supermarket. Immidiately bought two bags, not the most common flavour around here. But they're soo good.

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Not crunchy, but that reminds me of some jerky I bought a week or two ago. the top warning on this red bags says "Caution: Prepare for pain."

I'll admit...it's pretty hot...like hot enough that I don't eat much of it and I have a feeling if I did, I wouldn't feel so good after...but not so hot that I'm going to throw it away.

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
I haven't had this in about 12 years.

The vending machine at work had them, 60p for about 11 crisps in a bag isn't great. But they're still pretty good.

Andeh

is teahte tbungafloed
Car(s)
Fiestas, Mondeos, Anglia, Austin 7, Corsair, Chrys

Best crisps on earth. Made in Lincolnshire but only for sale in Cumbria and Dumfries & Galloway.

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
Doritos, why not... made this Guacamole the other day for grandma, she had never tried it.

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Recently they sell these here and they are quite good, though a bit country-style, if you know what I mean:

Emarline

Car(s)
Crosstown buses
As my first name is Devon, I'm side-eying those a bit now... >_>

:p

Jimi Hendrix

Never understood the need to add 'artificial' flavours or spices to 'proper', 'natural' chips. If the raw material is really good, just cooking it in olive oil and adding salt in the needed quantities will do, anything else just will worsen the product imho.

ahpadt

Forum Addict
DONOR
Never understood the need to add 'artificial' flavours or spices to 'proper', 'natural' chips. If the raw material is really good, just cooking it in olive oil and adding salt in the needed quantities will do, anything else just will worsen the product imho.
You don't deep fry potato crisps in olive oil.

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
Some of the olive oil brands are good but I think other oils do better. I can't have peanut oil but from my experience canola oil is pretty great. it's what they use for these incredible chips:

ahpadt

Forum Addict
DONOR
Olive oil can't withstand as high temperatures as sunflower oil, so the crisps won't be as crispy. The ones I've had have been very thin and brittle, not too crisp.

equiraptor

Car(s)
2006 Mazda MX-5, 2007 Suzuki SV650
That depends very much on the exact oils used. The extra virgin olive oils we (or at least I) tend to think of for olive oil have a low smoke point. But the less delicate olive oils have a higher smoke point and can thus can take more heat. Similarly, an unrefined, flavorful sunflower oil has a lower smoke point, while a refined sunflower oil has a higher smoke point. I'd imagine there are olive oils that'll fry chips/crisps well, but we tend to see peanut oil, canola oil, and similar, just because it's more available (and when more refined, the subtle differences in the oils are less apparent).

ahpadt

Forum Addict
DONOR
That depends very much on the exact oils used. The extra virgin olive oils we (or at least I) tend to think of for olive oil have a low smoke point. But the less delicate olive oils have a higher smoke point and can thus can take more heat. Similarly, an unrefined, flavorful sunflower oil has a lower smoke point, while a refined sunflower oil has a higher smoke point. I'd imagine there are olive oils that'll fry chips/crisps well, but we tend to see peanut oil, canola oil, and similar, just because it's more available (and when more refined, the subtle differences in the oils are less apparent).

From Modernist Cuisine. </discussion> :p