Alloy wheels

_dexter_

Car(s)
Lolvo V40
Dear FG community,

Can someone please help my clarify following:
I'm in process of buying new alloys and I found ones that I like. Thing is that I found SAME LOOKING alloys, produced (or "produced") by two different companies.

AVA wheels: http://www.avawheels.com/products_inside.asp?ID=C02F93BJ88YP8NW6T6VY
and
Z performance wheels: http://z-performance.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=85

Problem is that first ones are roughly 30% cheaper than second ones. My question is - is it possible that those two are THE SAME wheels?
I googled this, but didn't manage to find satisfying answer, so I'd be grateful if someone could help..

Cheers

Do the AVA wheels come with a T?V Teilegutachten? If not, that would be a good justification for higher prices even if the wheels were identical or near-identical. Without such a piece of paper it'd be a pain in the ass to legally use them in Germany, not sure about how other EU countries decide what wheels are legal for what car.

Are the Z wheels made in Taiwan?

AVA have both ISO9001 and TUV certificate on their web page, but they have both expired, so I'm not sure..
Regarding Z wheels I'm not sure, but it's certain they're not made in Austria..
Legislation-wise I don't care for TUV, here in Croatia we don't have such rigorous standards.. At least for now..

Last edited:
AVA have both ISO9001 and TUV certificate on their web page, but they have both expired, so I'm not sure..

Those are entirely unrelated. ISO9001 certifies that they (used to?) maintain certain quality control standards, and that T?V certificate for the company is going for a similar thing.
What I'm referring to is a per-wheel (model AND exact dimensions) certification listing what cars (make, model, engines, driven wheels, etc.) are legal to use it. Without that, you will need to get your car-wheel combination accepted individually by any T?V-like place for added cost.
On the Z page you linked there is a long list of these certifications, each over a dozen pages long.

Now I see what you mean :nod::thumbup:

But still, to me personally that doesn't mean much since I can drive car legally without such certificate..
Could this be the only difference and reason for premium price?

It could be, along with the other company being Taiwanese... so maybe Z is buying from them or having them make the wheels for them.

Doesn't have to be though... you could just email both companies and ask them.

I will, but I don't think they'll admit such thing.. Anyway, thanks for advice! :cheers:

They are both made in Taiwan. Z-Performance prob just licensed the ability to carry that wheel under their name. Both are cheap cast wheels so if you want to go that route, go with cheapest. Prob better than Chinese shit, but don't expect much.