Alpine Meet 2015

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Got in touch with Lip (Greetings!) over the weekend about hooking up for a long weekend on the slopes next year.

We've agreed either 27.2.14-2.3.15 or 6.3.15-9.3.14 and will probably base ourselves in Schruns although I will probably leave the details to him as he is more local.

Anyone else fancy joining us?

I'd love to join, but it all depends on what I'll be doing at that point in time. I'll return from Oman on february 1st, so I might not have a job by then. Having a job would probably be in the way, since going on holiday after 3 weeks doesn't really sound like a good plan :D Money at least should not be a problem, the Omanis are paying me well enough.

Well the plan is only for a long weekend and even if you do have a new job lined up most employers will respect prior arrangements. They certainly do here and from what I hear German workers enjoy much better working conditions than we do here.

Do your best - the more the merrier!

We were planning on hitting the slopes with Beni as well, so let's see how things go...

Reactions: MWF
Liking the sound of this already.

Great, I'd very much like to join you and I'm quite sure a long weekend will be possible with the new job I'll be on then.

I like the scenery but I never skied (?), and am not a huge fan of winter and cold. Although with the to be expected exercise cold wont be much of a problem. If I'd have the right gear.

wicked, so we have the role of the beginner sorted as well :D

also, yes. i love cold and snow, but you'll be mostly warm from the excercise... except for your fingers! for god's sake get good gloves

I like the scenery but I never skied (?), and am not a huge fan of winter and cold. Although with the to be expected exercise cold wont be much of a problem. If I'd have the right gear.

Yay, some company for MWF! :clap: :p Do eet, you're close enough, even for just visiting, if you get cold feet. ( ;) )

Thomas, do it, the ski is the limit!

Reactions: MWF
Mikko I'm a novice rather than a beginner. I can carve and everything!!

I suggest Dan and Thomas get some basic lessons at an indoor snow centre then beg, borrow and steal as much of the kit/clothing as possible from friends; no point in going to all of the expense at first then finding you hate it. Then those of us who can ski can each take a morning or afternoon session coaching them, share the load and get them up to speed.

Also if any of the more local skiers have a spare pair of skis (140-160cm) and poles I am happy to rent from you rather than fill the coffers of the ski hire places.

Last edited:
I know, hence emoticons. ;)

Checking out booking.com, accommodation is running short already around the area. Or anything affordable at least. And as usual I'm planning on a week long trip as a budget/effort compromise, flying to Munich and renting a car from there etc.

And I'm up for a challenge, if anyone wants to try getting beaten up by a mountain (snowboarding). But I bet you won't learn enough to make much progress at the slopes. :)

Last edited:
If we are going as a group is it worth looking at a chalet at least for the weekend? I don't mind handling the catering as per Roadtrip 2013 and "The Magical cat That Feeds Us" ie everyone chucks an allowance in per day, we hit a supermarket for supplies and get a production line going to make lunch while we eat breakfast. I can take charge of the evening meal if others are willing to pitch in with prep and we get dinner made while people take turns in showers and so on.

Last edited:
I'd miss half of that time either way. Going with full week plan I'd probably arrive on Saturday evening and leave Saturday afternoon. Of course, that's assuming Toni wasn't traumatized by you and is joining in as well. I have no issues (at the moment at least) traveling mid week. :)

If anyone has a rought number of what costs one would be looking at for accomodation, I would be happy.

Also: What region, or at least country, are we talking? So I know what would (!!, I am not commiting to anything :p ) be the best way of getting there..

[...] will probably base ourselves in Schruns although I will probably leave the details to [Lip] as he is more local.

that's what I was going off of, but really, I'm fine with mostly anything as long as I get to ski again and it's not bloody france :D

See top of thread then Googles. Consensus is Hermany as it's the most central.

Hermany = Austria ie Hilly Germany.

I skipped over the first posts again and again, but could not identify something as a name.. Anyway, 300ish km and 3/4 hours (toll-sticker y/n) away. Not the worst of all things.

Gonna ask google for how expensive that is.