Alpine Meet 2016

alright people, any more planning to be done here? :p
i'll go and ask at what point i could possibly schedule that week of holiday with the new job, just to have this all airtight.

Yeah I could also do with confirmation as flight prices are only going to go in one direction....

I'll try and get the week of holiday confirmed tomorrow...

Last edited:
Seeing that some people are aiming to be there just for a weekend, I guess the schedule should reflect that, if people can take holidays for uneven weeks.. Could people staying for longer do Thu-Thu, for example. That way everyone would be there if(when) some are staying only Friday-Sunday, or Saturday-Monday, or something similar. 18.2. - 25.2. would be Thu-Thu around the first weekend.

That is a reasonable point I guess although for me it does mean using an extra day of precious leave but I guess I can live with that.

I don't mind, I'd probably leave Wednesday then so I'll be there on Thursday and I'd prolong it to the weekend.

Unless someone wants to be picked up on the way down.

Last edited:
yeah, works for me... i'd probably end up taking the whole week off plus the two additional days the week before...

Sounds good! - I will be there at Friday morning the 19th, and will stay until Monday evening the 22th.

This is taking shape just nicely.

Alright, I just got my leave approved for Wednsday February 17th till Friday the 26th.
My current plan is to drive down to Italy Tuesday after work and get the house ready for the bulk of people to arrive. I could pick someone up from the airports of Frankfurt, Munich or Innsbruck on my way down or drive down to Venice or Treviso the next day.

There are 6 places left at our house, three double beds. It probably makes sense to start thinking about who stays at our house and who stays at a hotel. I'll check possible places in the area now.

Last edited:
I wanted to bump this thing, because reddit just showed me exactly how I currently feel about the prospect of snow:

I'm 99% in. Slightly confused about the timing here; I guess the weekend 20th-21st February is the primary date, and some people will be there earlier and/or staying longer, similar to how Ringmeet works? :) I'd like to stay in the house if possible, and am somewhat flexible on timing - taking a few extra days off work should be no problem at all, so I can drive down Wednesday or Thursday and stay until Monday or Tuesday.

Good that this thread pops up again.

It's been three years (i think) since i've seen any snow, and my snowboard is getting rusty.

If i don't forget i can confirm somewhere next week if my colleagues don't cause any trouble.

Leviathan, Adamar, as it looks now the house seems to be full, but if you want to join we shall find a solution that is agreeable for all. Not everyone stays all the time anyways, a 2nd appartment might only be necessary for a few days.
Indeed I miscalculated somehow, the house offers 6 sleeping places additional to my room. I'd offer Mikko, MXM and 47 a place in any case, as they've hosted me before. The other three places we'll have to see how to divide fairly.

Regarding the date: I'll be there from the 17th or 18th until the 27th or 28th. So between the 18th and the 27th the house will be available.

I'll start a list of interested atendees, we should add the dates people will be staying or planning to stay (the dates I put in might be wrong):

- DaBoom
- MXM
- MWF (Feb. 20th - 27th)
- eizbaer
- lip (staying at a hotel) (Feb. 19th - 22nd)
- Beni (Feb. 17th - 28th)
- gt1750 +1 and a half (Feb. 19th - 27th)
- leviathan
- Adamar

Ok, if the house is full, hotel is also an option for me. Any recommendations?

I also started looking at the costs. Ski pass is obviously first and foremost. Prices for the Dolomiti Superski area are listed here: http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-pass/prices, works out at ~50? per person per day (no group discounts I could find), a bit more for <4 days, a bit less for longer - seems fairly reasonable to me. Any other "big" costs to keep in mind?

I don't have any personal experiences with any hotels there, but I will look for ones that are in walking distance. Forno di Zoldo is the town our house is located, Zoldo Alto is closer to the skiing area but 15 minutes by car.

These two appartments on airbnb are well within 5-10 Minutes by foot from our house:

Appartment 1 and appartment 2. Possibly worth checking out.

If you have the whole skiing/snowboarding equipment then there shouldn't be any other big costs. The car should have good winter tyres and snow chains (in heavy snow police might not let you drive up the passes without chains or awd).

Last edited:
That's a small bummer. In that case make me an undecided. Not really in the mood for staying in a hotel alone.

Also, the lack of winter tires would make this journey an adventure.

But, let's enjoy this while we're waiting:

Also, the lack of winter tires would make this journey an adventure.

Is there no need for winter tires in Belgium? Or do you just don't use your car during the winter?
But yeah, going on a ski trip with a 2WD car only on summer tires is not recommended.

In a more egoistic note:
Snowfall is expected here in Switzerland from tomorrow on, and I plan to hit the slopes on Monday. Hurray! :mrgreen:

We get maybe 1 week of actual winter. And since i moved to a new appartment, i walk to my work (750m). My car gets used maybe once every month, maybe.

So it's not really justified to buy winter tires for one week of vacation.

Reactions: lip