Alternatives to Vista's Picture Viewer

Shadowness

Car(s)
Caged Clio 182 Track Car
So im getting fed up of using Vista's shitty high contrasty picture viewer. Is there an alternative program that does just the same job - opening pictures!

I dont want something that takes ages to load, just something like picture viewer, but actually showing the proper image!

Thanks

I have the problem as well. Oddly by deleting my Samsung monitor drivers and letting Vista install it's own the picture viewer works much better [still not the same picture that say Lightroom displays though]. Although that may not work for everyone

I'd love to get an alternative or an actual fix too.

Last edited:
Try irfan view. I don't use it so can't say for sure how good or bad it is but people I know seem to think it's fairly quick. As far as changing the image i'm not sure on that front. Give it a go I guess.

i have been using ACDSee 2.43 (classic) for just about forever to view pictures and i fucking love it and you can get it bundled with a virus free crack on just about any BT Tracker out there.

Yeh the trouble with bride is that it takes ages to load. I just want something to very quickly view photos, so no editing or anything like that, just do the same job as picture viewer.
I dont suppose there's any way to change to display properties of the picture viewer? I just cant believe microsoft could set it to show pictures really badly!

I assume you want something that you can use when you double click a photo in a directory, rather than starting up a program specifically to browse your pics with?

The time Bridge takes to load is greatly outweighed by the time it take the Vista picture viewer to scroll through images, for me they take a couple of seconds (at least) to render. So for me, when reviewing a load of shots I've just taken and selecting the keepers, nothing can beat Bridge (or whatever browser isn't the Windows version), but I agree that if I just wanted to open one picture to look at, it would be stupid.

Either way though, if I'm doing any picture browsing, Bridge is usually already open, and I'll just browse the directories using its interface, rather than Windows Explorer.

One more vote for IrfanView. Viewer is really nice and fast, thumbnail browser is not free of bugs though, but then windows explorer shows you thumbnails as well, so it's all right.

One thing that bugs me about IrfanView, is that I can't assign mouse wheel to be used for zooming, not browsing through photos. For that I would rather use back and forward buttons on my mouse.

One thing that bugs me about IrfanView, is that I can't assign mouse wheel to be used for zooming, not browsing through photos. For that I would rather use back and forward buttons on my mouse.
CTRL+Scroll wheel. Voila.

CTRL+Scroll wheel. Voila.

Ok, that works, even if requires a kb. But now try to zoom in so that vertical scroll bar appears on the screen. Now you can't use the wheel to change a photo, it will scroll it instead :( I don't want to scroll photos, I want to drag them with LMB.