Am I insane for wanting a muscle car as my 2nd car?

Am I insane for wanting a muscle car as my 2nd car?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I know I'm really putting the cart before the horse on this one, but I can't stop obsessing about it. :(

When I get my driver's license soon (finally, I know! :lol:), I have a total beater Chevy Corsica waiting for me. It's FWD with a 2.8L in it I believe. Once I use that thing to go from someone who can pass a test to someone who is a good driver as well as someone who can drive stick (I'll be getting my license on an automatic), I want to go crazy and buy one of these:

http://v007.me/vipers

Is this an insane plan? Should I really take a baby step with a car such as a STI inbetween the two? Or should I go for it?

The important thing to note here is that I have no commute. I work from home and my only car will be my weekend car. Barely any mileage put on it -- just going to the grocery store and pleasure drives. I won't be forced to drive around the city in it if I don't want to. Hell I can just stick to side roads and such until I'm used to all that power if need be -- it's not like I have anywhere I need to go.

So am I nuts?

Last edited:
I'd say go for it.

My first car was a hot-rodded El camino, "3rd" was a V8 Jeep. I was 17 and 19 for each car respectively.

The only thing is know your limits when driving the car. Don't go out and hoon it up on the first day you get the car. Learn the car, get to know it. I'm not saying my cars were anything like a Viper, but the idea is the same really.

TL;DR. Do it! But be smart about it when you're driving.

The only thing is know your limits when driving the car. Don't go out and hoon it up on the first day you get the car. Learn the car, get to know it. I'm not saying my cars were anything like a Viper, but the idea is the same really.

TL;DR. Do it! But be smart about it when you're driving.

That wouldn't be a problem. I'm a really cautious driver and a responsible person in general. I'd totally ease into it.

If you can afford the insurance, go for it! (Even if you can't, still go for it! :D )

Yeah, that's my only concern. Based on reports I've read, insurance is dang cheap but those are when you own additional cars. This would be my only car which would likely make it problematic. Hopefully I can get some type of low mileage plan.

Wow, being in the same picture as Richard Hammond really rubbed off on you :p. If you can do it without denting your finances, go for it!

Throwing another vote in for the muscle car.

That wouldn't be a problem. I'm a really cautious driver and a responsible person in general. I'd totally ease into it.

If you can afford it, GO FOR IT!
Just please please PLEASE take some classes first, do some auto cross or whatever you can to improve your skills.

Viper this is car enthusiast forum, you know our answer. :p

Anyhow, I don't see it being a problem. Unlike most teenagers ( and even some adults ) you have the maturity to not kill yourself.

Pretty much this ^

Well, in that case.... DO IT!!!

Go for it if you can afford it. Being a second vehicle with no commuting should make the insurance less pricey.

Only word of caution is, if this Middle East thing causes another global economic downturn (through say, high fuel prices) you wont be able to give it away if you need to divest yourself of it.

So long as you can afford to buy and maintain it and have a place off the street to keep it, I say go ahead.

Insurance will be expensive, especially for a man your age. You might have to get married to save some money.

:lol: Quiky.

/Also saddened that Vipers are not that price here... :(

Can I just ask how long do you plan to drive the Chevy Corsica, before you buy the Viper? I gather you'll be fairly eager to learn stick and become a driving God :devil:.

As long as you leave yourself enough time to learn and master stick, there's no reason why you'll have trouble. Just my two cents :).

I've been looking at Ferraris 308s yesterday - GO FOR IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.