Am I insane for wanting a muscle car as my 2nd car?

Am I insane for wanting a muscle car as my 2nd car?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or just straight up driving a Porsche.

First manual car I drove: Ford Focus
Second: 997 Turbo - Fuck this car's clutch was like an on off switch for my beginner (lack of) skills.

Heh, I'm currently learning on a Boxster, it's doesn't seem any harder than the Tiburon and Corvette I've also tried :p

But then I don't have much to go on for comparison.

A Boxster's clutch isn't bad. Even the GT3 RS, with its lightweight flywheel, isn't as bad as my Miata with its lightweight flywheel (the GT3 RS flywheel is around 14 pounds, mine is around 7). A sharp clutch isa bit more challenging than a gradual clutch, but the flywheel is what really decides if the car will be challenging. Heavier flywheels help keep a car from stalling. Cars with lighter flywheels are much easier to stall.

My timeline is more and more seeming to be too unrealistic. Perhaps spring/summer 2012 is more like it. :(

Think of it as more driving experience under your belt! It ultimately can't be a bad thing unless Viper prices Skyrocket, which is doubtful to happen.

Think of it as more driving experience under your belt! It ultimately can't be a bad thing unless Viper prices Skyrocket, which is doubtful to happen.

I know, but I'm already going stir crazy as it is. Knowing the money is sitting in the bank and I could go out and buy one. :(

I know the feeling.

I have the money to do quite a bit of work to my Caballero, but recently I just haven't been able to get to it and it's really driving me insane because I wanted to have the "repair" part of the project done for the end of the summer so I could start modding it come winter time. But it's now looking like it won't be done untill NEXT summer.

I know, but I'm already going stir crazy as it is. Knowing the money is sitting in the bank and I could go out and buy one. :(

I suggest sticking it in a 6 or 12 month certificate of deposit and removing that temptation while letting it accrue interest. :p

Talked to a guy at a Dodge dealer, he said something like 40% of Viper owners crash on their first day with the car, and 70% crash within a year. Don't be a statistic.

Maybe there is a track around Portland that you can take this car to play around on? Therefore losing control will have less of an impact on money and health.

Spending 50k on a car, a track membership (and training) can't be a burden. Disclaimer, I have no idea how tracks are run.

Also: Some people are advocating that Viper get something else before. That is understandable and completely logical.
The way I see it, he wants a Viper and another car just sets the time when he gets that car farther away. So maybe instead of saying NO DON'T DO IT. You should think of ways that he can get his Viper and be safe in it. The Viper will be more then going fast to him. It is a dream accomplished.

My ideas:
Track and training like above.
Viper plus cheap Miata.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about it more and am likely going to push this timeline back. I still don't like the idea of throwing away money on an intermediary car, but I think I need more miles under my belt before I move onto a car I care about. I still make minor mistakes here and there and I'd rather make them in the Crapsica than a nice car.

I suggest you make it your third car and go for a small RWD sportscar inbetween, like the Miata, that was mentioned (over and over and over again).

I suggest you make it your third car and go for a small RWD sportscar inbetween, like the Miata, that was mentioned (over and over and over again).

I guess if I buy an old enough car, it wouldn't depreciate a ton during the time I owned it. That's my biggest worry since I'd likely be reselling it.

I guess if I buy an old enough car, it wouldn't depreciate a ton during the time I owned it. That's my biggest worry since I'd likely be reselling it.

Just don't get a Saturn.

There you go.
You?re in RWD land, there must be something cheap that can be driven to the ground and teach you something about driving a car with such configuration.
Also, is spending time on a racetrack possible?

Buy an old, rust free Miata in Texas. Play with it a bit with us. Take it home. It'll sell NICE up there (being rust-free, and all). ;)

Yes, I do think everyone who fits should own a Miata. Leave me alone already. :cry:

Why are people acting like you need to learn anything to drive an RWD car? It's just a goddamn car, get over it.

Why are people acting like you need to learn anything to drive an RWD car? It's just a goddamn car, get over it.

It's not really RWD cars in general but high-horsepower-no-driver-aids RWD cars. It's a radically different driving experience. On top of that, FWD and RWD platforms react very differently.

The same false logic often is applied to bicycles and motorcycles. After all, a motorcycle is just a goddamned powered bicycle, right? If you know how to ride a bicycle, you know how to ride a motorcycle, right?

Wrong. That 'logic' gets newbie motorcycle riders killed. Same thing applies to ecocrapboxen vice the Viper. And the performance differential between something like the Crapsica and a late Viper is not much better than that between a pedalbike and an Open-Class/literbike class motorcycle. Just as with bikes, the prudent operator will work their way up to the monster they want to ride.

Last edited:

Carroll Shelby made two AC Cobra Super Snakes. Even by today's standards these were super car fast. One he built for himself another he sold off to some guy. Unlike Shelby the other guy had never been a professional racing car driver; he died in it promptly after purchasing it.

I've been driving yank tanks since I learned how to drive so while not the ultimate tutor in matters of RWD they did give me a decent idea of how front engined rear drive cars handle. I had no problem catching my Mustang when it went through snap oversteer on a wet day.

Last edited:
Have you ever driven any car stupid enough to overstretch it's limits? Take some well-used 80s metal I drove when I first got my license: My mom's MK II Golf 1.6 diesel. With an unbelievable 53 hp it was not exactely a racecar, still, being an inexperienced driver and a bit of a hoon I attacked a 90 degree corner too fast on a wet surface and the Golf did what FWD cars do: It started to push in a straight line instead of turning in.

Imagine my surprise when I made the same mistake in a Ford Sierra, it's 73hp Pinto engine lacking power as much as the Golf's. I suddenly found myself facing in the wrong direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.