Am i the only person here who doesn't hate Rap?

I like rap, but only if it's by artists from 1998 or older. I think it was about then that it just kinda died. New rap can go to hell for all I care.
Someone in one of my classes this past quarter did a research project on hip hop. He played some stuff from the early 90's then contrasted it with the stuff they play today. The older stuff was actually almost worth listening to. The songs now have like five words in the lyrics and a repeating melody that gets annoying after 15 seconds. Now they're even stealing melodies from older songs and putting their crap lyrics over it.

Unfortunately one of my friends listens to this stuff and I've gotta hear it everytime I'm in his car. The rap stations here basically play the same three songs over and over. On a 45 minute trip we heard the same song 4 times. I wanted to jump out of the car to end the misery.

Sorry, "hizzle fizzle ma nizzle [beep] anda [beep] fizzle sizzle [beep]" is not talent... :p

i want you to go back to my post and hit play. those verses took skill and tallent and none of them have a single izzle anywhere to be found

Seconded.

To clarify - I hate current rap, it's just garbage. However, Run DMC's "Tricky" is a laugh on Singstar...

Oh yeah, I love Run DMC. :D

I guess you can be excused though since most likely you're young and grew up with what' s "poppin'" on MTV right now.
Actually, MTV has some pretty incredible effects on my gag reflex.

Just wondering, because ive been bored and read some old stuff and MAN DO YOU GUYS HATE HIP-HOP,

in all honesty i don't really listen to rap much, but if it wasn't for Schooly Ds intro to the show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" i would have never realised that i didn't actually hate that show (hell, now i like it)

I mean sure there has been crap, but its not like their wasn't the same level of crap in Rock, or techno, or whatever.

for what its worth i mainly listen to either Classic Rock or Techno like early Junkie XL (or anything driven/theatrical enough that it has or could be used in a top gear episode :p)

clip of ATHF for all the none-U.S. members

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ALEBi7v7aRw[/YOUTUBE]

I think modern rap is... :puke: .
Even old rap isn't that good but it is better than the crap the "artists" make these days.

There is some good rap around, but as Austere correctly points out, its mostly underground and you really have to dig to find it.

I'm another who can't stand black gangsta rap. Well, anything on commercial radio these days...

Not sure if this has been posted on these boards before, I suspect it has, but what the hell - here it is again :)

RnB_hitwizard.jpg

This program has only been known to crash once,...to a terrible group known as the Black Eyed Peas.

Stuff from the 1980s is not bad at all.
For example, these lines are pretty good lyrics for any song:
A child was born, with no state of mind
Blind to the ways of mankind
God is smiling on you but hes frowning too
Cause only God knows what you go through
You grow in the ghetto, living second rate
And your eyes will sing a song of deep hate
The places you play and where you stay
Looks like one great big alley way
Youll admire all the number book takers
Thugs, pimps, pushers and the big money makers
Driving big cars, spending twenties and tens
And you wanna grow up to be just like them
Smugglers, scrambles, burglars, gamblers
Pickpockets, peddlers and even pan-handlers
You say Im cool, Im no fool
But then you wind up dropping out of high school
Now youre unemployed, all null n void
Walking around like youre pretty boy floyd
Turned stickup kid, look what you done did
Got send up for a eight year bid
Now your man is took and youre a may tag
Spend the next two years as an undercover fag
Being used and abused, and served like hell
Till one day you was find hung dead in a cell
It was plain to see that your life was lost
You was cold and your body swung back and forth
But now your eyes sing the sad sad song
Of how you lived so fast and died so young

Here are some gems from the rap genre.

"Verse number 2 do the damn thang keeps on my neck pocket's full of Ben Franks."
-Yung Joc, "It's Goin' Down."
What the hell does this even mean?

"There's no need to lie folk, Why you sleepin' wit ya eyes closed?"
-Timbaland, "Get on the Bus"
How the hell else does one sleep?

"I can double my density from three-sixty degrees to seven-twenty instantly."
-Canibus, "Funk Master Flex Freestyle"
Since when is density measured in degrees? And in what base-system does 360 x 2 = 720?

"Thirty-eight revolve like the sun round the Earth."
-Jay-Z, "It's Hot"
The sun around the Earth? This guy isn't just an idiot, he's an idiot from 1200 AD.

"N****s in the Bronx call me Lex cause I push a Lex, and I rock a Rolex and I lounge on Lex', and I love sex."
- Peter Gunz, "Deja Vu: Uptown Baby"
Rhyming Lex with Lex with Lex. Creative. Again, what the hell does this mean?

"Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin."
- Dr. Dre, "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang"
Thank you, Captain Obvious. I can apply this formula to anything, "never let my type 'cause if I type then I'm typing." See? It works... ok, not so much.

"When it's hot I'm duckin them people with my fire arm Look I be straight thuggin."
-Turk, "Trife Livin"
English must be a second language.

"My paragraph alone is worth five mics (uh-huh) A twelve song LP, that's thirty-six mics (uh-huh)"
- Redman "5 Boroughs"
I think Redman is tying to use an oven timer for a calculator again.

Don't try to treat me like I AIN'T FAMOUS My apologies, are you into astrology Cause I'm, I'm tryin to make it to Uranus
- Kanye West, "Gettin' It In"
This is the man who wanted his own book inserted into the bible and his picture displayed next to the word "genius" in the dictionary.

"Hood n***a from Bankhead, I stay by Grandma Nana I lay by my banana, dumpin' and punkin' monkeys."
- Young Dro, "Shoulder Lean"
I am fuck out of witty repartee for this steaming pile. Honestly, I could eat the Urban Dictionary and shit a better song lyric.

."When you take a sip you buzz like a hornet Billy Shakespeare wrote a whole bunch of sonnets."
-LFO, "Summer Girls"
Let me guess, a rhyming dictionary and they only look at the first word listed. It's the only possible explanation

"I'm hungry for cheese like Hungry, Hungry Hippo."
- Project Pat ("Ballers")
See? Hungry, Hungry Hippos! It's wholesome fun for the whole family. (ok, I'm stumped on that cheese thing).

"If you don't bring back my m****f*****n money or my m***f****n dope, you can forget about Christmas n***a, cause you ain't gon even see New Years."
- Master P ("Do You Know")
I think my * key is worn out. Nice talk, sugar mouth, I bet if he had his dope he's be more mellow.

"It's like fee, fie, foe, fum, I smell the blood of a jealous ass punk."
-Prodigy ("Click Clack")
Rap is my anti-drug. I read something like this and realize that the only way someone could have written, recorded, or published it is by being on many substances in great quantity. If it ever starts to make sense to me, please, have an intervention.

Wow contragtulations you have proven that shitty rap artists* write shitty lyrics. How many lyric sites did you go through in order to make the list?

I don't think anyone is arguing there is really really really reallly really shitty rap music out there. The same can be said for every genre of music on the planet (the whole pop-punk-emo-thing). 90% of Rap that you are going to hear if you are a casual listener (ie. you only watch MTV and listen to mainstream radio stations) is total crap. However if you look around for artists that are doing their own thing and are not 1 of 100 artists that all sound the same to sell records, i think you will be pleasantly suprised by what you find.

*dre isn't shitty thats a small part of an awesome track.
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5gk8pbd_DNM[/YOUTUBE]

also i forgot about:

Nappy Roots. Man i love this song even if it is "dirty south" which normally i cannot stand
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=V-4UyqJg0lQ[/YOUTUBE]

and Pharcyde: the video is damn awesome
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3qMdkucM0[/youtube]

Last edited:
Was just listening to Lil John and East Side boys or something. Seriously, It couldn't have been hard to come up with that piece of music. It's just a combinations of "fucks" and "nigga". Thats what I dislike about modern rap. You always get the sense that all they do is show a big wad of cash with ten horney chicks shaking their asses beside them in front of a pimped out Escalade.
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=dRV3fWKPxaM[/YOUTUBE]

i want that program, then maybe i can make enuff money to get me some supercars o_O

The only rap worth listening to is non-mainstream bullshit. And that means that the only rap listening to is Deltron 3030.

The video on this one is a fan-comp of Gorillaz clips, just listen to the music.
[youtube]HtCZ3ZyT8P4[/youtube]

[youtube]dPT5qyTFS-8[/youtube]

[youtube]-oCXwl7XBiQ[/youtube]

Some of it is very very good, the rest is total shite

I love the argument I hear over and over again, "Mainstream rap isn't good you have to go underground." Ok, fine, the fact is that the sound of rap takes my last nerve and shoves it in a tree shredder. For the most part the lyrics are obscenity laden, violent, misogynistic crap. There may be "good" artist underground, but that isn't the mainstream, and the mainstream is popular because that is what most people listen to! You can't point to the extreme minority and say "see, rap doesn't suck" when 98% of it does suck.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the rule is still, "Rap Sucks"

Alright, most popular music (emo, pop, etc) are crap, but rap manages to be crappier.
At least you need to have a little bit of musical knowledge to play an instrument, even if the song has just 3 chords. Rap doesn't require that. It doesn't even requires the ability (oh, sorry....ahem..."skillz") to rhyme or to construct a beat.

I love the argument I hear over and over again, "Mainstream rap isn't good you have to go underground." Ok, fine, the fact is that the sound of rap takes my last nerve and shoves it in a tree shredder. For the most part the lyrics are obscenity laden, violent, misogynistic crap. There may be "good" artist underground, but that isn't the mainstream, and the mainstream is popular because that is what most people listen to! You can't point to the extreme minority and say "see, rap doesn't suck" when 98% of it does suck.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the rule is still, "Rap Sucks"

I never at any point said that 99% of rap doesn't suck, because it does. The vast, vast majority of modern rap is intellectually insulting garbage. However, I feel that it's worthwhile to point out a good, non-mainstream artist lest they become lost in the flood of mediocrity.

^^^ i think he was talking to me

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the rule is still, " Most Rap Sucks"

Fixed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It just annoys me no end when people dismiss a whole genre of music as being shit becaues what they hear on the radio is crappy. I think if some of you guys gave some of the youtube links a shot you might be supprised especilly with Deltron 3030, Atmosphere, Jurrasic 5 and Pharcyde. However my old roomate did make me listen to just about every country artist out there for 3 months trying to get me (unsucessfully*) to like country music so i doubt it will change anyones mind but i say atleast give it a try.

*if you consider Johnny Cash country then technically he did suceed though it was more of a rediscovery then anything else

Last edited: