American accent in Britain?

optimusprime

So, I'm starting a Rhodes Scholarship (w00t) at Oxford very soon, and I have a question of etiquette for you the Britons.

Namely, I am capable of producing a passable British accent, according to the opinion of my colleague, a Yorkshireman, who claims it sounds of generic southern England.

The question, then: is it bad form to adopt this accent constantly during my time abroad, or would this be somehow condescending? Of course, I will inevitably refer to a sidewalk or an elevator or something, compromising my identity, and I'd rather not ruffle any feathers. Though, I'd also prefer to blend in and be less of an outsider (if that's possible for a PhD student in physics).

I guess so. If its a 'generic southern England' (like me) then people can't really make any accusations about your background (except for when using words like elevator). I know someone who went to Oxford and believe me, they came out with such a posh accent. But don't run in shouting 'I'm from Americuh!' in your best western vibe. :lol:

I guess it comes down to why wouldn't you just use your native accent? Hopefully most Brits are smart enough not to judge you just because you're from here.

I wouldn't try to use an accent...... it all could go horribly wrong and become patronising very quickly. Just go in as normal and let times take their course.

Its not the words you use that will determine whether you are an outsider or not, its your whole approach.

Take it from someone who's been there and done that.

So, I'm starting a Rhodes Scholarship (w00t) at Oxford very soon, and I have a question of etiquette for you the Britons.

Namely, I am capable of producing a passable British accent, according to the opinion of my colleague, a Yorkshireman, who claims it sounds of generic southern England.

The question, then: is it bad form to adopt this accent constantly during my time abroad, or would this be somehow condescending? Of course, I will inevitably refer to a sidewalk or an elevator or something, compromising my identity, and I'd rather not ruffle any feathers. Though, I'd also prefer to blend in and be less of an outsider (if that's possible for a PhD student in physics).

Dear god no don't try it

I think it would be jolly good form my old bean

You'll pick up the accent over time anyway, just speak normally.

You'll pick up the accent over time anyway, just speak normally.

depends, my brother who lived in Switzerland speaks french with a very Australian accent and my dad lived in Nigeria for 3 years and has been in Texas for over a year sounds as "true blue" as when he left.

just don't go "pip pip cheerio lads" to everyone and you'll be fine
"oh cock" is fine though

Erh....don't do that, someone will work it out and you'll look very strange then

No one is going to lynch you for been an American, they may make some jokes but nothing more than harmless fun

We just hate your government for screwing up the world which judging my recent opinion polls Americans hate there government too, so were united on that

The question, then: is it bad form to adopt this accent constantly during my time abroad, or would this be somehow condescending?

Oh dear god please don't.

You may well do a very good British accent; but that's not the point. The point is that you should be yourself (and also that someone will notice, be it if you slip up and call a tap a faucet or whatever).

There's a lot of anti-US bumf in the papers that might make you think this is a good idea. Listen to the words of Charlie Brooker, a UK satirist, though : "I'm not a huge fan of Bush. He's a dangerous idiot who's dragged America's name into the mud, and crapped all over it, grinning as he does so. As for Americans themselves, I can honestly say I've never met one I didn't like. Maybe I'm shallow, maybe it's the accents. But really - every single one of them : lovely."

The other thing is that Oxford has plenty people from a million and one backgrounds and countries. You won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Try yelling "you sodding wanker!" (or something) really loudly in a blatant American accent when you get pissed off; it should be worth a laugh.

who the hell gave me neg rep for my post and didn't leave there name, quite rude!

I get that this isn't in the political section, but if the OP feels he needs change his accent its clearly political! And in I wasn't taking bias, I was going with the general consensus of opinion polls!

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have had similar feedback about my attempts at a British accent, but the few times I tried it at Oxford, despite getting no negative feedback, it felt so wrong that I went back to the American. Once you get there, you might even, as I did, find yourself comfortable enough with the American accent that it even gets a little stronger when in England. Oh, and congratulations (with extreme jealousy) on the Rhodes! Were you an '07 admittee, or did you get it a couple years ago and defer it?

Well, let?s just say you can really master a british accent (please excuse my doubts, I know a lot of people who think they can "do" varoius german accents, and they all are rubbish at it) ... what?s the point? It?s not like they?re going to point at you and scream when you open your mouth ... or drag you outside and hang you from the nearest flagpole ...
Surely, I also find some german accents hard to bare and you could encounter people who?ll find an american accent hard to bare ... but you?ll also adapt a bit the longer you stay. Even if you stand out a lot at first, you?ll gradually adapt to the way the people around you speak, that?s just normal. A buddy of mine went to berlin after school and when I saw him again a year later ... he adapted quite a lot of that accent.
I think it would be more negative for you if you did your british accent and people would notice that you can?t do it perfectly ...

Here is a brilliant idea. How about...just being yourself??!? :blink:

I know!! It's REVOLUTIONARY!!

Most Brits actually like Americans on a personal level - do not rise to the jokes it will soon stop as you do not join in. Actually give the beer a try and you'll soon be in with the boys.

If you play American Football joining the Rugby Club in freshers week could be a good idea. If you are arty join footlights.

One thing, George Galloway 1 Congress 0:

[YOUTUBE]b-NK8bWiJoQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Funny story - I knew this Asian kid on my friend's floor who had a really thick British accent. It was pretty cool and he seemed to put it on all the time...but later, when I asked about it, he said he was from New Jersey. "There were a lot of British people around me, though," he tried to justify itself, but later he revealed to my friend that he only put on the accent to pick up chicks. :lol:

If anybody can point out the Little Britain colony in New Jersey, let me know, I need to go pick up some Earl Grey, fish and chips, and maybe go out for a nip o' curry sometime.