'American Special' Complaints: BBC Response

No, this is about the American Special, not the removal of You Tube videos.

Also, bad form in linking to your own post (especially a post that has already been covered in other threads) - and one as poorly worded and formatted as yours.
:oops: I am dumber than I thought.

They probably had those apology articles written before the show was filmed.

Sadly, so many things that Jeremy says about Americans really is true, at least in the areas that they visit. Luckily I'm more Italian than American, so I really don't take offense to what he says. Even if I wasn't Italian, I grew up in such a laid back city, that we don't take ourselves to seriously. That's for the deep south to do.

Yeah the BBC seems to retain some good common sense. I'm happy with how they just let their programmes get on with it.

So many of us Americans are put between a rock and a hard place when Clarkson makes these comments.

Yeah but the show isn't made for you - it's made for a BRITISH audience and is also paid for by that same BRITISH audience.

If an American decides to go and download it for free from a torrent site and they don't like the content - that's your problem.

Yeah but the show isn't made for you - it's made for a BRITISH audience and is also paid for by that same BRITISH audience.

If an American decides to go and download it for free from a torrent site and they don't like the content - that's your problem.

OWNED 8)

I pay for bbc!!! so i'm in there aswell!!!

To be completely honest i'm not paying for it anymore..:p Now i'm getting it f?r free!!

If an American decides to go and download it for free and complain about the content on a website created, owned, and operated by an American - That's your problem.

No. If I download any content, whether from the BBC or Al Jezeera, and am offended by the content, however little, I can say so. This is the appropriate place to do so when it comes to Top Gear, so I did.

Clarkson has the right to come here and call me fat, stupid and rude; and I can, and will say that that crosses the line. If you weren't a hypocrite, you would say that your reading of my opinions is your problem, just like TomCat said.

Last edited:
Bless them for that.

An American network would have dragged Clarkson out in front of a press conference where he would have had to read an aplogy and then send him on a tour of talk show appearances, further explaining how wrong he was.

Then they would fire him.

-Justin

That is SOOOOOOOOOOO true. And don't forget, then Clarkson wouldmhave to go into re-hab.

All in all, I saw the humor (note American spelling) in the episode, and wondered, too, if a similar venture by some Americans in the U.K. with simiar slogans on the side of the cars would get similar responses.

"We trust most viewers are familiar enough with the style and tone of the show not to take offence".

OR

If you don't like it don't watch it.

For god sake these people KNOW what Top Gear is going to be like, they KNOW what Jeremy Clarkson is like. WHY the FUCK do they STILL TUNE IN every fucking week. Fuck!

Sorry about the swearing but I get bloody pissed off by these annoying, lentil eating, beard sporting (fully bushy beards), sandle with sock wearing nutjobs.

RANT OVER :)

You forgot Nascar racing, inbred, goatbangers :)

It's quite useless to explain the tone of the show to them IF they are watching it for the first time, and got irritated because they weren't used to it.

I forsee the amount of complaints from "oversea" will way surpass that of the "caravan" episode.

carry on

Sadly, so many things that Jeremy says about Americans really is true, at least in the areas that they visit. Luckily I'm more Italian than American, so I really don't take offense to what he says. Even if I wasn't Italian, I grew up in such a laid back city, that we don't take ourselves to seriously. That's for the deep south to do.
fair enough. i'll take it that every italian walks around saying "mama mia! itsa spagetti!" all the time, they're connected to the mafia, and they're all fascists.

i'll c&p what i just posted in the episode thread:

the fact that top gear is filmed primarily for the english audience isn't a green light for the producers to be as crass as possible towards others. that is like saying the contents of the film, triumph of the will, is fine because it was intended only for germans, and non-germans have no justification for being offended. i know some troll will try to interpret that as me equating top gear to a nazi propaganda film. that's not what i'm doing. i'm just saying that top gear needs to be more responsible. if they want to insult and flame americans, the french, germans, italians, etc., then they should do it more responsibly and not present their views as fact. and top gear isn't ignorant to the fact that well over 200 million people view the show in some capacity around the world.

as i said before, i didn't mind that they goofed americans. i was disappointed that was all they did during their visit. and i was annoyed top gear presented their special as a fact. this thread has shown that most viewers, even my fellow americans, aren't clever enough to understand top gear's experience is hardly genuine. top gear should've been responisble and made it more clear the american special was hyperbolic satire; not journalism.

You are probably right...but the again, 99% of "us" are ignorant to the very existance of Top Gear. Even if "we" were, it'd pale in comparasioon to the discussion about the death of Anna Nichole Whatsername