'American Special' Complaints: BBC Response

Hasn't this got a little off topic now? Or have I just got lost in the vast wasteland of quotes and counterquotes? :whistle:

How long have you been posting on forums? I'm having this discussion with you, but I'm talking about other people. You can see it in my posts. I'm not going to quote each and every person who said it and respond with the same exact post, that's just a waste of time. So I'm talking about it with you, in general. If you do not want to talk about it, quit replying to my posts.

I've been posting on forums for, I dunno, eight or so years, and by the looks of it a hell of a lot longer then you.

If you're discussing the topic in general, it begs the question why the hell are you quoting me? You could easily discuss it in a general manner without quoting. I have no problems with discussing this topic but if you quote a poster and then backtrack saying "hey, I was only discussing it in general", you'll only end up making yourself look stupid.

Riiiggghhht. And in your perfect little world, it would work just as you say. But getting back to reality, the BBC decides if a show goes or stays. However they decide this is up to them. Sure, money is a motivating factor... sometimes. But with any decrease in ratings, other shows will see an increase. People tend to change channels, rather then turning the TV off. The BBC won't loose money, so they just need to decide how to best serve the viewing public, if they care enough to do even that. TopGear has been around for a long time and it's always had viewers, so it's always stayed around. If TopGear lost viewers, the BBC would probably choose another time-slot for it and give one of their other higher rated shows TG's old-time slot. New shows are expensive to start, so in terms of business and finance, it's smarter to keep an existing show around, even if it's not getting the high ratings anymore. But the fact remains, the BBC doesn't have to worry about loosing money, so any contracts they may have signed with Clarkson, Hammond, and May would be more costly to break then they're willing to spend. If TopGear has absolutely zero viewers (impossible), it would be cancelled sooner or later, but not right away.

I think this post coupled with you're old posts suggests you are pretty clueless how the BBC works, or the history of TG itself.

The 'old' TG, which ran from the 70's on BBC, got axed in 2001 because, yeah you guessed it, poor ratings. So it has happened before, and if there is a fall in TG's audience numbers it can very well happen again. Just because the BBC get's a fixed income doesn't mean it can do whatever the hell it likes with the money. The BBC can't continue spending money on a program which isn't justifying expenditure through return in audience figures. So you're theory that a fall in TG's audience figures will only mean a change in time slot and cause no concern because "the BBC doesn't have to worry about loosing money" borders on a retard to sub-retard level.

But with any decrease in ratings, other shows will see an increase.

Yeah, to one of the BBC's rival channels. Another quick lesson, there are five terrestrial channels in the UK which everyone with a TV can tune into, only two of which are BBC channels. So there is a good chance that viewers lost to TG will probably be watching a non-BBC program. Care to explain your theory again?

Actually, on second thoughts don't. I and a few other posters have already proved your argument to be flawed so I think it's best to call it a day and end this discussion, there is nothing new to say which hasn't already been said.

I've been posting on forums for, I dunno, eight or so years, and by the looks of it a hell of a lot longer then you.

If you're discussing the topic in general, it begs the question why the hell are you quoting me? You could easily discuss it in a general manner without quoting. I have no problems with discussing this topic but if you quote a poster and then backtrack saying "hey, I was only discussing it in general", you'll only end up making yourself look stupid.
I already told you why I was quoting you, what don't you understand?

You know, it is possible to discuss a topic, like a speech, with someone other then the person who gave it.

I think this post coupled with you're old posts suggests you are pretty clueless how the BBC works, or the history of TG itself.

The 'old' TG, which ran from the 70's on BBC, got axed in 2001 because, yeah you guessed it, poor ratings. So it has happened before, and if there is a fall in TG's audience numbers it can very well happen again. Just because the BBC get's a fixed income doesn't mean it can do whatever the hell it likes with the money. The BBC can't continue spending money on a program which isn't justifying expenditure through return in audience figures. So you're theory that a fall in TG's audience figures will only mean a change in time slot and cause no concern because "the BBC doesn't have to worry about loosing money" borders on a retard to sub-retard level.

Yeah, to one of the BBC's rival channels. Another quick lesson, there are five terrestrial channels in the UK which everyone with a TV can tune into, only two of which are BBC channels. So there is a good chance that viewers lost to TG will probably be watching a non-BBC program. Care to explain your theory again?

Actually, on second thoughts don't. I and a few other posters have already proved your argument to be flawed so I think it's best to call it a day and end this discussion, there is nothing new to say which hasn't already been said.
Give me a break. You haven't proven shit. TopGear was cancelled before. Yeah, after 30+ years of boring the public to death. I would think it's obvious by the BBC's generic response to any and all complaints that they really don't care. But you expect me to believe that they'll act completely different, even to the point of cancelling one of their most popular shows, if TopGear lost viewers? Based on nothing. Even if TopGear lost 50% of it's ratings, it'll probably still be rated higher then most of BBC's other garbage.

I already told you why I was quoting you, what don't you understand?

Yeah, and you were generalising me as someone who thought that non-Brits don't have a right to complain about the show and that Brits were the only ones entitled to an opinion, on the mere basis another brit might have said that. Still confused (and I imagine you might be) go back and look at the original posts.

Give me a break. You haven't proven shit. TopGear was cancelled before. Yeah, after 30+ years of boring the public to death. I would think it's obvious by the BBC's generic response to any and all complaints that they really don't care. But you expect me to believe that they'll act completely different, even to the point of cancelling one of their most popular shows, if TopGear lost viewers? Based on nothing. Even if TopGear lost 50% of it's ratings, it'll probably still be rated higher then most of BBC's other garbage.

I (and others) have proven:

a) A significant decrease in TG's audience will likely mean a cancellation of the show
b) TG has previously been cancelled in it's history
c) As far as the BBC is concerned the most important audience by far is the British audience

Tom, you don't have an argument, largely because you don't know what you're talking about, OK. This discussion is over.

For once in all my days as a forum addict, I do think that Special Olympics thingy is right.

:lmao: The only thing lamer than this argument is when one participant says "I'm right, so this argument is over!" Hilarious! :lol:

LoL

Your absolutely right it is lame and very lame to say I am right thats the end of it, being lame though don't necessarily make the argument or debate if thats what you want call it, make the point he is making incorrect.

:lmao: The only thing lamer than this argument is when one participant says "I'm right, so this argument is over!" Hilarious! :lol:

When there is nothing new to add to a particular discussion, and when all points appear to have been made, the rational conclusion would be that the debate is over.

Though I don't mind continuing the argument, but it'll just mean having to repeat what's already been said over and over. Maybe I'll just copy and paste from older messages to make life easier.

Last edited:
When there is nothing new to add to a particular discussion, and when all points appear to have been made, the rational conclusion would be that the debate is over.

Though I don't mind continuing the argument, but it'll just mean having to repeat what's already been said over and over. Maybe I'll just copy and paste from older messages to make life easier.

Or, y'know, not.

I don't know why he's getting so worked up. I said from the very beginning that I was talking about other people's posts and what other people are saying, must not have been paying attention. He's more then welcome to read the original posts. The very most I said about him personally was that he "seems to think" Non-Brits don't have a say. I based that off his very first post in this thread:

http://img233.imageshack.**/img233/7328/dumbfuck1id5.jpg

If I was a moderator I'd lock this topic and then beat you all with a stick like a hick with his kids.

Anyways, Top Gear's content is answerable only to licence fee payers. It's the way the BBC's worked for near 100 years and will do so. People who don't pay the licence fee can only complain about objectionable content. And in this case.... tough shit, they made their own damn bed so they can go and lie in it.

I don't know why he's getting so worked up. I said from the very beginning that I was talking about other people's posts and what other people are saying, must not have been paying attention. He's more then welcome to read the original posts. The very most I said about him personally was that he "seems to think" Non-Brits don't have a say. I based that off his very first post in this thread:

I've already made my personal stance pretty clear in a number of subsequent posts, I think the absolute best conclusion we can come to here is just agree to disagree