American Top Gear possible hosts

Leno and Allen would kick ass at this. Ever watch a Tim Allen interview on the Tonight Show? Allen always brings some crazy car and they go over the interview time just talking about cars. I don't know where the person who said they'd just talk about themselves got that idea, but they clearly havn't seen any interview segments with them.

Adam Corolla is not a racist.

I doubt Andretti sr. is doing much of late, and I've met him before(and he's been on both Home Improvement and the Tonight show), he's a nice guy.

I vote nay on Danica because, well, if you've ever seen one of her interview segments(or that crap on HPTV) or met her you'd know.

Leno, Allen, Andretti. I think that works very well.

Andretti spends a bit of time in Napa valley where he owns a vinyard. I'm actually a member of their wine club and have more than a few bottles of Andretti wine around the house.

It's really good wine too.

American Top Gear? It just wouldn't work. It really really wouldn't. Top Gear is funny because of Jeremy Clarkson. American's just don't know how to be funny. They really do not. Jay Leno is a pretty funny guy, but nothing compared to Jeremy.

Just copying the formula for Top Gear wont make a show successful. Hearf of fifth gear? Is it funny? Hell no! Hell hell no.
But if Jay Leno did host an American Top Gear, then at least they would have access to a butt load of supercars.

Fifth gear was started after old top gear was canceled it copied the old format, the new top gear was set up by Andy Wilman creating the formula for success. Clarkson does not have access to "butt loads of supercars" rather the free marketing that the BBC offers allows them to get some goodies not to mention the BBC Top Gear Magazine. As for funny I would say Benny Hill is not our cup of tea.

I think an American TG could work. Three presenters with a different take on stuff - not the same exactly as TG but with similar elements then develop it onward in a US way. One thing they have got to be able to do is slag off a crap car and not be bland for the sake of avoiding sponsorship or legal trouble.

Ventura6 said:
I'll do it. Where are the tryouts?

I'm willing to get on the Discovery Channel or TLC and review cars, stage mishaps (a problem with the last couple seasons of Top Gear), and race all over Texas in some kind of public transportation while Jay Leno gets a Caparo.
Leno in his 700hp RWD Toronado, the others in a yellow cab. That would show us actually HOW FAST a yellow cab driver is willing to go if you just keep feeding him tens.

I'm reminded of Sienfeld's cab bit. "The worst thing you can think while you're in a cab is, 'I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He is driving quite fast... and quite recklessly... on bald tires.'"

The unique thing about Clarkson is his dynamism. One minute he is looking very stately and British and the next he is on all fours trying to crawl into his GT because he can't fully open his door. I don't think any of the people mentioned here will do that, and if they do, it won't be funny because they aren't British. We don't need an American Top Gear; we need a network with the cojones to air the show in its 1 hour glory.

Ugh, I want nothing to do w/ an American Top Gear for many reasons.

Getting "big names" to host it would ruin the charm of the show. Car nut or not, Leno won't do it and I don't want him to. He's too vanilla these days.

Any station that would broadcast an American Top Gear has to answer to sponsors. Most don't have the danglers to take on a Ford when Ford gets ripped for the crap 500 and turns back to Discovery and says, "We're pulling all our ads from all your channels." So Leno hosts the show, rips the Chevy something or other and GM then threatens to pull their ads from the Tonight Show.

Nope, either get a bunch of relative no-names and pray that Discovery will stand behind them when they rip the Ford/GM/Chryslers of the world or don't do it at all.

American's just don't know how to be funny.
so that must be why our comedy shows and movies are so sucessful, and that must be why nearly the entire lineup of comedy central is purchased and downloaded abroad along with adult swim, family guy, the simpsons and tons of other network shows. yeah, I suppose we don't know how to be funny.

fucking dumbass.

from most of these comments I don't think most poeple in this thread have seen work done by anyone we're talking about.

I don't think Jay Leno would make a good host if the US version were meant to be a copy of the original show. The major content of Top Gear is based on one thing only: criticism, and I don't know anyone else in the motoring journalist world that's a better critic than Clarkson. Leno just isn't that kind of guy. He's known for being a downt to earth, all around nice guy and has a love for everything, whereas Clarkson has an image of a cocky arrogant bastard that hates 9 of 10 cars out on the road. Both could make a witty TV host that's very likable, but in totally different ways.

zenkidori said:
I doubt Andretti sr. is doing much of late, and I've met him before(and he's been on both Home Improvement and the Tonight show), he's a nice guy.

Andretti was on the documentary "Dust to Glory" about the Baja 1000 a couple years ago. The guy is a riot. He was driving a baja truck like he was born to do it, and cracking jokes the whole time. I like Mario.

Tommy Kendall gets my vote. Unlike Leno and Sienfeld he can actually push a car around a track. Teach him to say "POWAAAAA!!!" and he'd fill the JC spot perfect.

His show on Speed is always sponsored by manufactures. I think that keeps him a little to corporate. I'd like to see him in an environment where he'd be free to comment positive or negative and really flog the cars to the edge.

2005semapeace.jpg

I like Adam Corrolla but he's always trying to add some stupid shtick.

How about Jason Priestly for the Hamster roll? He used to be a racer before he hit the wall.

Jason-Priestley-s-Paradise-Wedding-2.jpg

Finally Dennis Gage for the roll of Captain Slow...
sn_0509_bod_10.jpg

Ok, I have to say yes just because of the moustache. The hat is a nice touch too, I have one similar.