An alternative to a wheel?

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
The X and Square pedals are a great idea! Thumb and knuckle downshifts. Not so keen on the cockeyed "wheel". I doubt I'd ever get used to that.

JohnnyRacer

I find the steering interesting. From and ergonomic standpoint, it MAY work because that's how your thumb naturally sits when holding the controller.

killpanda

wants to fondle your manboobs
I would be willing to try that, HKS should send one to me asap :)

Shentar

Car(s)
06 Porsche Cayman S, 90 Miata
I saw the title to this thread and thought, "blocks are an alternative to wheels, but you won't go as fast".

Then I saw the controller, and I am intrigued. If nothing else, I bet it will add a lot of power to the in-game cars thanks to all of the stickers.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
It looks interesting, I'm not sure how I'd get on with trading the more natural left-right motion of a stick to the forward-backward motion of the steering 'wheel' though. And because it's the same shape as a standard PS3 controller it'll still be uncomfortable to hold.

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
Speaking of controller feel, since I'm going to be getting a PS3 soon, I'd kind of like to explore 3rd-party controller options. I've never liked the sticks on the PS controller. They're too light and they're not in the right place.

Does anybody make a PS3 controller that's more like the Xbox controller?

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
I don't know if anyone else does, but you could.

It's an old mod now that I'll certainly be doing trying to do it and failing when I inevitably get a PS3.

Edit: Also.

Last edited:

mclarensmps

Car(s)
'11 KIA Forte Coupe
That HKS wheel looks very interesting, and I'd be willing to give it a shot. Reason being: I'm lazy to play games with a wheel. If I want a wheel, I'll go out and drive. For games, I want to just use a controller. A controller that allows me to use simulation mode in GT with a bit more grace would be more than welcome in my gaming arsenal.

justinb

I am also interested in the different controllers out there with GT5 around the corner. I'm pretty decent(I think) with the standard DS3 but it would be nice to have something a bit more realistic.

Everyone talks about the G27 and how great it is but I don't have $300 to spend or the room to build a setup for it!:lol:

speedmeist3r

Car(s)
987 B 3.4 S (M)
I've always liked these Speed Freeks since I got 'em 3 years ago. Fitted them onto my Xbox 360 controller and they're pretty comfy, even with other non-driving games. It fits onto the DS3 controllers as well. With your thumb on the stick, they sit pretty flush (ie. no rough edges your thumb can feel). The side walls not so much prevent your thumb from sliding off but provide more leverage for finer control.

Link: http://www.kontrolfreek.com/

Last edited: