And you thought the Viper was dead. Long live the Dodge Viper!!

That sounded good untill...

The lines were more feminine than the current coupe has.

NOOOOOOOOOO

that's just what I was afraid of :(

A Viper needs to look manly and brutal. That is the Viper's place in the world of cars. let other cars look feminine, dammit!

Oh come ON! I bet any amount of money that not a single one of you would turn the aids all the way off and push it.

It's very easy to act brave and brash on the internet, sitting in anything with more than 500bhp and little or no aids is a whole new cup of tea.

That explains why Pry was killed to death by his Viper. Plenty of auto reviewers have said it is manageable on the streets if you don't drive it like a track car.

That sounded good untill...

NOOOOOOOOOO

that's just what I was afraid of :(

A Viper needs to look manly and brutal. That is the Viper's place in the world of cars. let other cars look feminine, dammit!

Dude, Chrysler's owned by Italians now. Italians are more prone to wearing shiny shirts and expensive shoes, so of course their cars are going to look more feminine. Doesn't mean they aren't hairy chested and crazy.

I think that being scary is part of the Viper experience. It's never a relaxing ride but you feel quite alive after it has scared the hell out of you. Been there a couple of times. After the first time I had to almost stop because my right leg was shaking so bad that I couldn't press the gas. Really grows a respect for the car.

I think this video sums it up quite well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TX2F9Grxk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oh come ON! I bet any amount of money that not a single one of you would turn the aids all the way off and push it.

It's very easy to act brave and brash on the internet, sitting in anything with more than 500bhp and little or no aids is a whole new cup of tea.

If it really is so damn scary, why hasn't the 600 hp SRT-10 been a sales flop? Shouldn't everyone have gotten scared and not bought one? It sure as hell isn't a calm ride, but it's far from unmanageable.

If it really is so damn scary, why hasn't the 600 hp SRT-10 been a sales flop? Shouldn't everyone have gotten scared and not bought one? It sure as hell isn't a calm ride, but it's far from unmanageable.

How many have been driven hard?
How many have been driven with TC etc OFF?
It's all speculation at this point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they ever offered traction control on the Viper.

It appears you are right. I stand corrected.

Why is everyone misreading my post to defend the Viper at all cost? I said that for all of you wouldn't just be Captain Cocksure and jump in and thrash it. It should have a bit of aids, so it doesn't bit your head of in unpredictable conditions.

Why are there no pics in this thread yet? :mad:

I know, right? It seems odd that they were actually successful in making sure no one got at least a couple shots.

Dude, Chrysler's owned by Italians now. Italians are more prone to wearing shiny shirts and expensive shoes, so of course their cars are going to look more feminine. Doesn't mean they aren't hairy chested and crazy.

really? since when? by who? i thought they were owned by mercedes benz. (and that mercedes benz used the plans of the viper to make the SLS...)

really? since when? by who? i thought they were owned by mercedes benz. (and that mercedes benz used the plans of the viper to make the SLS...)

Dodge is part of Chrysler. After, depending on who you ask, the sorry state of Chrysler almost ruined Merc during their partnership until they pulled out / Merc sucked all money and resources out of Chrysler and then abandoned them, Chrysler have been on their own again for a few years until, after the bailout, Fiat bought into Chrysler to get a foot into the american market again. Apart from bringing their compact cars to the U.S. they plan on massive platform sharing between sporty Chryslers and Dodges and Alfa Romeo.
The new Viper/SLS were planned as a Chryler/Merc platform sharing during the partnership and ended up on the Merc side during the split. Again, it is up to one's own judgement (and up to on which side of the Atlantic you live) to decide if this was another case of Merc shamelessly drowning out Chrysler or not.

Last edited:
Fiat tech for new Dodge Viper

Fiat tech for new Dodge Viper

Full Article from Autocar

Dodge will use Fiat technology to improve the performance and accessibility of the next generation of its Viper, due in 2012. But the American sports car looks set to retain its own platform rather than becoming too closely linked to Ferrari?s and Alfa Romeo?s product lines.

Fiat, Dodge?s new owner, gave approval to the new Viper in the autumn, and Fiat Group chief Sergio Marchionne revealed a preview of the car to Dodge dealers in September. But the new model was expected to make extensive use of the Fiat parts bin; some sources had even suggested that it could be based on the same platform as Alfa Romeo?s 8C Competizione.

See a sideways pic of the outgoing Dodge Viper

However, Dodge CEO Ralph Gilles has now revealed that the Viper will get a chassis set-up designed with assistance from Fiat but not derived from another product. The car ?is not based on anything else?, he told the Detroit News.

Full Article

As far as Mercedes' ownership of Chrysler goes, the reason for purchasing Chrysler was that the American car executives had much larger compensation than their German counterparts. After the Chrysler purchase this was no longer the case. The ownership of Chrysler was a political move that allowed German executives to increase their pay without causing outrage.

The new Viper/SLS were planned as a Chryler/Merc platform sharing during the partnership and ended up on the Merc side during the split. Again, it is up to one's own judgement (and up to on which side of the Atlantic you live) to decide if this was another case of Merc shamelessly drowning out Chrysler or not.

Chrysler still has rights to the platform, just as Mercedes has rights to the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform.

Eh. Re design and sell as new model

I really hope they don't put a V8 in the new Viper.

unpossible.