Ownership Verified: Anesthesia's 4G Civic

Very clean Civic. Good job on the mods and de-rice-ification.

I like it. I've never driven a Civic of that generation, but one of my friends has a completely stock Si in that gen that he completely adores. I don't think he'll ever get rid of it (and who could blame him?)

Here are some of the things I have going on it when ever I get the place to do it in(I need power equip I don't have). So this would be the next week or two if things work as planned.
In addition to these, I have a timing belt kit, water pump and whole lot of gaskets and seals that are going on at the same time.
20110505_001.jpg

20101101_003.jpg

I fully support your decision to go with Konis. Do they come with the lifetime warranty in Finland? My friend had a set on his CRX that he autocrossed and beat the piss out of for three years; sent the shocks in and got a brand new set free of charge.

I'm not sure actually, I got these through a friend(who got them from the factory). if problems come up, I'll dial up my friend and find out. :D The ones on it now are Bilstein, they've been under the car for about 5-8 years(5 I've owned the car, 3 with the previous owner as I recall).

Since I last posted there have been some minor things done. I've changed the front shocks. The rear ones are still to be done, I need to upgrade the rear arms they connect to. Hopefully tomorrow the new head will be on and it'll be running on a new program.

The shocks were just horrible:

Well, it didn't go as planned. We didn't get anything done. :/
Today, I did some painting, the wiper arms were all sunburned. So I took them off and gave them some paint.
Good timing too, the forecast gives us rain for the next few days, started when I was putting them back on.

Before:
20110711_003.jpg

After
20110711_004.jpg

20110711_006.jpg

My DD in the backround

Last edited:
Stuff has happened! Changed the head, timing belt and all that would be wise to change while doing these. New exhaust as well.
The car is now running and tuned. It's running a lot better and with the raised compression it makes some more power too.

Interesting fact that these dohc engines have dome pistons compared to the flat pistons all the other engines of the same "family"
20110731_007.jpg

20110731_010.jpg

20110804_003.jpg

Well the new exhaust has been under the car for a while now, and the head job has worked as I stated in the previous post. I've been to two trackdays in the past month and a half. While the car seems to work there are some issues I need to sort out. I've been having problems finding the proper rubber mounts for the exhaust. I've had several under there and it just seems to sit wrong. It's too tight or too loose.

During the winter I'll need new tires as well. The ones under it now are just too hard/old and have very poor grip. I'll probably even go down a size on the wheels from 16" to 15".

Figure I'd post my winter beater now that I'll be using it for a while. Same gen Civic sedan, stock.

So it's a sedan, same sized engine but a sohc 16-valve same multipoint fuel injection. A little less power but enough to get around when the other one is off the road. Power steering, locks windows and mirrors. This'll be stock. I don't need it to be anything more than it is.

I had a volvo 240 that I sold last winter, I had one like this and I decided to get an other one since the previous one worked fine. Someone had had an accident in it, the front bumper is wrong and the steering wheel has been changed, I'll do something about these if I keep this one for longer than the 240. A little rust creeping on the rear wheel arches, the body is solid, so are all the other problem areas. Having played with this gen for a long time I know the problem areas and this one isn't that bad. The right hand side rear had the worst of it.
20110422_003s.jpg

20110422_002s.jpg

20110425_005b.jpg

Proof ofc. instead of impaling the tiny piece of paper I left the tip of the knob in the pic. :D
20111229_003.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clean Civic, good to see you keeping such nice care of it. I always had a bit of a soft spot for that incarnation of the Civic, they look really smart and sharp when they aren't riddled with rust. Having lived in Finland for 12 years myself I've seen how the Finnish winter can turn them into pure rust.

What is the engine designation on that 1.6 DOHC? I've never seen one before I don't think. I had a b16a (1.6 dohc vtec) powered 5th gen civic, and that was super fun car.

What is the engine designation on that 1.6 DOHC? I've never seen one before I don't think. I had a b16a (1.6 dohc vtec) powered 5th gen civic, and that was super fun car.
It's a D16A9, you never had this engine in the US(or even the one in the sedan for that matter). It's a close relation to the engine most US people know as a ZC. In stock form it has a little less power than the B16A1 that was available in these, but with little tweaking you can make more power and a good deal more torque through out the revband compared to a B16.

The Doctor 90 TY, ofc. there's always a lot to do when playing with old cars. :)

Last edited:
A small update. I got my new tires today. Toyo Proxes R1R, 195/50/15. That ofc. means that I'll be switching rims this summer. For the moment the plan is to use the five spoke wheels off my sedan, but I'm painting them darker. The basic boring gray just has to go. I've already painted the center caps. My friend had a 205 GTi in this color, I liked how it looked so I'm using it. Depending on the light it looks black or blueish gray.
The rubber
20120228_002.jpg

A center cap
20120227_001.jpg

Last edited:
I really love the uncluttered lines of this car. I also appreciate how light and simple they are. The interior has exactly what you need and nothing more. I'm glad to see that it's in good hands and that you're taking it to the track as well. I imagine with the light weight and uprated braking system that you can surprise quite a few more powerful cars when it comes to braking duels and cornering speed. What is the red line on the A9? Keep up the fantastic work.

A small update. I got my new tires today. Toyo Proxes R1R, 105/50/15.

Nice choice, normally "track" cars get wide tires and you went for a different route. Looking forward seeing those under your car. :)

Thank you. I've tried to keep it function over form.
Keeping up speed is a lot simpler when the car is light and agile. Bad tires are always a factor, but it seems that how it is set up now the problem is multiplied.

The red line is at 7250rpm, the stock rev limit is about the same. I have the rev limit at 7800rpm. I have stock cams(for the moment at least) so there's little point in going higher. It can take +8000rpm.

sifu, the size was a typo. The real size is 195 wide. :D
They're still not wide by todays standards.

Last edited:
A little update. New rims/rubber on. I've also done some little things in preparation for an inspection. I'm going to try to get it past inspection late this week or early next week depending on the weather. Some may not like the dark colored wheels or the size. But I like the change after having the same wheels on the car for six years. It's dusty, I can't wash it in the garage and I'm not allowed to take it out before I've had it inspected.
20120327_004.jpg

20120327_003.jpg

[e]Oh and the center caps are not in the pic. I'm not sure I'm even putting them on.

Last edited:
A few things that I need to sort out. My radiator is original,.it's mostly clogged. It started to heat up last fall after 3 laps or so. And the cheap discs(And I mean cheap no-name chinese brand) that I put on when I last changed discs didn't rly take the beating very well. The front discs are as the pics show- A bit more than just dead. I got these since I had to get the first discs I could get my hands on in a hurry(annual inspection). Won't be making that mistake again. They don't have a whole lot of kilometers on them(15-20 thousand). But they have been under the car for a while.
The problem
20120430_001.jpg

And the fix. Got these from a customer at work(I work at a wholesale company). Sadly we don't sell brakes. But I got them just as cheap.
20120502_001.jpg

Last edited: