Anglolovers

Maeday

Car(s)
2005 Chevy Silverado
I'd say it's a fair assumption that a lot of us non-UK posters are Anglophiles. I myself have wracked my brain trying to figure out how to frickin' live there. Anyways, what do you all like about that fair isle? Wales and Scotland are included. Don't give me crap about "Scotland isn't England" blah blah blah I know, "bugger the Queen" yada yada

I can't really explain why I like England so much. I think it's the combination of a rich history and a very vibrant, green landscape. And the amazing sense of humor (humour, there you happy?)

Find a Top Gear loving English guy with a razor wit and good personal hygiene who lives in a part of the country you like and where you can get a job who is willing to marry you on the basis that you can have an amicable divorce once you have your British passport.

So basically narrow down your location. I'm sure there will be no shortage of willing candidates.

So.... move there?

Not to be a dick, but I don't understand why this isn't just in random thoughts.

I lived in London for a year. Uh...yeah, I guess I enjoyed it there.

It's great to be in a walking city?any city like that, whether it's Boston, New York, or San Francisco, even, and finding a pub on every corner. The museums are free, which is brilliant, and the tube is definitely one of the best in the world*. And from walking around piss drunk at 2am back to my dorm without calling a cab or getting mugged or raped, it's definitely a safe city. (Then again, I don't know if East London still has that rep).

In the end, however, there were way too many things I missed about home?friends, driving cars, not going broke every time I bought groceries,
, having a bank that wasn't as shitty as Barclays?that made me look forward to going home. Most of the people in pubs I met (including the girls) enjoyed having sober conversations about World War II, however. Hey, if that's your thing, go for it.

*Too bad it, like Boston's, closes at midnight. Fuck that noise.

So.... move there?

Not to be a dick, but I don't understand why this isn't just in random thoughts.

I had a funny thought, to find out other people's thought on England. Crazy I know!

UK restrictions on working visas are very strict. At the present I have no skills that many other British do not, which, as much as MWF was joking, makes marriage to a British guy, or becoming a dentist, financial analyst, etc., the only viable options. Americans can't just move there even with lots of planning. That wasn't the point of posting this thread anyways.

Last edited:
I had a funny thought, to find out other people's thought on England. Crazy I know!

UK restrictions on working visas are very strict. At the present I have no skills that many other British do not, which, as much as MWF was joking, makes marriage to a British guy, or becoming a dentist, the only viable options. That wasn't the point of posting this thread anyways.
I see what you did there...

Also, its "Britain" if you are referring to all of the UK. Referring to Scotland, Wales or Ireland as England is a mistake you only make once if a local is within earshot. :p As a Englishman in Scotland its a pet peeve of mine.

I personally find the UK rather boring, not that great but also not awful. But I have never left the mainland so for all I know it could be shit compared to everywhere else! :lol: Oh, and summer only lasts 2 weeks, it gets to 23C, then rains/snows for the rest of the year.

In fact here in in Aberdeenshire the weather is something like this:
"Good weather", vertical rain.
"Bad weather", horizontal rain.
"Dusting of snow", a foot of snow.
"Proper snow", garden shed is buried.
"Storm", garden shed is airborne.

Also, its "Britain" if you are referring to all of the UK. Referring to Scotland, Wales or Ireland as England is a mistake you only make once if a local is within earshot. :p As a Englishman in Scotland its a pet peeve of mine.

I personally find the UK rather boring, not that great but also not awful. But I have never left the mainland so for all I know it could be shit compared to everywhere else! :lol: Oh, and summer only lasts 2 weeks, it gets to 23C, then rains/snows for the rest of the year.

Oh crap you're completely right. I really don't mean to mix those things up, I know how important they are. Let's just say, Britphile (oh god that is terrible)

Anywho being from Texas, your weather sounds divine. As much as I love lots of warm weather, I could go for a rainy, cool place, especially with the drought we've had here for many months now. Snow is welcome too. And don't get me started on thunderstorms, there's nothing better!

haha I didn't even pick up on the dentist thing. You guys actually have the best teeth in the world according to some reputable health organization.

Last edited:

Ditto.

I love England. I love our shitty weather. I don't think it is boring 'ere at all. In between all the mad people an' the sheer amount of history we got I reckon we got a good thing goin'.

Hey, the weather was pretty nice for a few weeks at a time. It was just that two-month period from January-early March where it was cloudy every. single. bloody. day.

My friends over there say it's pretty humid right now, though.

I think it'd be a cool place to visit, so I won't say anything about being able to live there until I saw it for myself...which I'd like to do within the next decade. I do like overcast days...

Can I own something like this there? :lol: (Makes a big difference to me)

^I just noticed the plates, maybe there is hope!:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Can I own something like this there? :lol: (Makes a big difference to me)

No, you can't :p
And same goes for the rest of Europe basicly.

I've always rather liked Britain too, visited London and Oxford numerous times already. And if everything goes according to plan I'll be studying there for about 5 months in 2013. :)

I think MWF can attest to the fact that, while it rains a lot in the UK, you folks know nothing of the kind of storms we get in Texas. Or did, before this year. I don't think it's rained here since he left.

I loved the UK while I was there, years ago. We have nothing like your history. Here, something is "old" if it was built before the 1950s. Seeing ancient buildings right there on the street is something I don't think I could ever get over.

Not to mention the land itself. Really, really beautiful. So much greener and more lush than most of Texas.

I did miss our food though. English cooking is significantly lighter on the spices than Tex-Mex.

And England has some excellent words. Not just bollocks and arse, but lorry and brilliant as well. And the comedy there seems smarter than the comedy here, but maybe that's my sampling bias.

I think MWF can attest to the fact that, while it rains a lot in the UK, you folks know nothing of the kind of storms we get in Texas. Or did, before this year. I don't think it's rained here since he left.

I loved the UK while I was there, years ago. We have nothing like your history. Here, something is "old" if it was built before the 1950s. Seeing ancient buildings right there on the street is something I don't think I could ever get over.

Not to mention the land itself. Really, really beautiful. So much greener and more lush than most of Texas.

I did miss our food though. English cooking is significantly lighter on the spices than Tex-Mex.

And England has some excellent words. Not just bollocks and arse, but lorry and brilliant as well. And the comedy there seems smarter than the comedy here, but maybe that's my sampling bias.

Yes I definitely would miss Tex-Mex, but I think the quality of Indian and other Asian foods would make up for it. Ditto on the ancient buildings as well. This lack is especially blatant in the Houston area, which likes to bulldoze over everything old. And comedy there did seem smarter, but with 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Party Down, and other shows it seems that we are starting to catch up. But fortunately and unfortunately there will never be another Monty Python.

Haha, my old house was built in the late 1700s on top of a medieval graveyard. When digging the back garden for vegetables and such it wasn't unusual to find human bones. My favourite was the jaw bone, complete with teeth.
As somebody with a very keen interest and history and archaeology this excited me quite a lot, although might be a bit too much history for some people. :lol:

Here is a picture of the street, the top is from Google Streetview and is a year old, the bottom is from the 1960s. The place has barely changed since the 1700s, let alone a mere 50 years ago!
oldvsnew8.jpg