Another epic fail at computers from yours truly

Homer_Bart

Car(s)
2007 BMW 320i
Alright, i'm now posting from my psp! short story, took apart my laptop just now to clean the fan because it was always overheating, and after cleaning it, i screwed everything back. All seemed fine. Pressing down the power button, the screen is black, the lights light up and blink like they should, the hdd is spinning, but the fan isn't.
What could be the problem? Short circuit?

Thanks in advance :D

Is the screen backlight coming on? If yes, may be graphics card/mainboard (if you have integrated graphics). If not, maybe monitor connections. Dunno, only time my laptop's done that was when the graphics card was fried, and the backlight came on then :S

Check there isn't a loose wire going to the board, it's not always immediately obvious because of the plastic casings. sometimes the fan will twitch if one cable is disconnected. Mine did.

All of this sounds pretty good. If you've all ready broked it, then you might as well take it apart and try everything to fix it. Just check it before you screw it all together next time! :D

Sounds like a loose monitor cable, although it could also be a short. Hope for the former and retry putting it together.

I was advised by the tech guy to sned it to Sony for a fan repair (to fix the overheating problem), while at the same time letting them diagnose the screen problem.

Once again, thanks! :D

Considering that one of the problems might have been caused by you opening the system, they will figure out its open. So its a 50/50 chance that they will turn a blind eye or send it back with a huge "warranty void" on it

Its warranty has expired 4 years ago :p

It's a 2004 VAIO TR3, only been opened twice in 2005 by Sony to fix the always failing webcam (back then it was a marvel to have an attached webcam), and never been opened to clean the internals ever since.

I'll just send it to them for a quick fix, probably a loose connection, and also diagnose the overheating problems. Still, I better learn and understand before taking apart my computers again, lesson learnt! :mrgreen:

Is it worth having it fixed considering its age?

In the future use compressed air or a vacuum to clean the fans.

Yep high quality all around.

Yeah for having a long Internet memory :p.