Ownership Verified: Another Ex-Cop car

ChuckMoritz

Car(s)
W124 230E
So, now that I've got the attention of all the Crown Vic fanbois, may I dissapoint all of you with my new acquisition:

IMAG2166.jpg

This might actually be a new contender for the slowest car on finalgear :lol:

If you can read the licence plate, you can see that the last time it moved under its own power was 11 years, 1 month and 28-30 days ago. That's when the previous owners, a couple who own a licence plate business, tried to move it from Wiesbaden to (I think) Rosenheim.
At some point in their journey, it stopped moving under its own power though, and had to be towed to the closest place where they could leave it. Her mothers house... Who just so happens to be our neighbour 1 km down the road :)

I first found out about this bus 5 or so years ago, back when I still worked as a chimney sweep here. Back then I thought about rescuing it from its mossy grave, but decided against it because of it being too much work etc... Well, now I'm a changed man and somehow grew to love work, and I gathered a bit more experience wrenching and welding on both the Battleship and the W124 :)

Also, what kind of dirty hippie student would I be without a proper bus? :mrgreen:

So after asking around for who actually owns it, and setting up for them to come down here to seal the deal, today I bought it. I am officially the second owner, the first being the Wirtschaftsverwaltungsamt der Hessischen Polizei :D

My sort-of proofpic, proof being the W116 in the back:
IMAG2157.jpg

And some more:
IMAG2153.jpg

IMAG2151.jpg

Nature trying to take it back...
IMAG2158.jpg

IMAG2159.jpg

The interior is the most appealing part, it stayed remarkably dry over those eleven years... The biggest drawback about it is my unability to stand straight up inside <_<

IMAG2160.jpg

The underside is in reasonably good shape, especially the frame, they took really good care of their police buses appearantly :)
IMAG2163.jpg

IMAG2168.jpg

Although the body attracts rust like only old cars in Germany can. I think fixing this will be relatively easy, there are nno crazy shapes on this bodystile, only straight metal :)

IMAG2170.jpg

One last look at it, bevore i remove it from its ancient burial grounds sometime next week...

Last edited:
This is has to be at Ringmeet 2018. :lol:
And do laps, obviously. I'll pay for them. I mean it.

This is has to be at Ringmeet 2018. :lol:
And do laps, obviously. I'll pay for them. I mean it.

I'll remind you when the time comes ;) And hopefully I'll make it next year too, this year my plans got destroyed by other stuff.
Theoretically I could hook up a car trailer and take two cars at once, to make up for missing out this year :lol:

Awesome! What's the plans? Camper?

Glamper. :D

First on the list is getting it to run again though... :p

I'll be the first to ask: why?

What he said. Also what CraigB said and Glamping ;)

I'd rather grow plants instead of crystals though. It has more of a greenhouse feel to it instead of the windowless drug den vibe anyways :lol:

Oh, and i forgot to mention in the first post, since most americans probably won't recognize what this actually is...

IMG_1741.JPG

I took that 5 years ago, when I first found it, and before someone took the goddamn star :mad:

Most importantly though, I won't have to stray from the only brand I'm kinda loyal to :)

German Rick Hamilton confirmed :lol:

Time to make it a high top so you can stand up.

No, stop right there. All my cars so far have been dead reliable. And not crap ;)

I thought about making it a high top too, but I think that'll have to wait until I actually have to move in for whatever reason :rolleyes:

Oh, now you tell us it's a baller Benzo :p

Why would I buy anything less, when I can worship the stars? :p

Also, you guys should expect nothing else than some kind of fixer upper Benz when klicking on a PYC thread I made :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I'll remind you when the time comes ;) And hopefully I'll make it next year too, this year my plans got destroyed by other stuff.
Theoretically I could hook up a car trailer and take two cars at once, to make up for missing out this year :lol:

OK!
:lol:

Solid plan.

Any clue as to why it quit running all those years ago? What sort of engine do these have?

Practically flawless, like all plans I ever made :lol:

They have the usually even more indestructible diesel I4 Mercedes made from the 60's to sometime in the 80's... They also made them as an I6 version, but those are reserved for even heavier buses.

The whole series is called OM300, the one in this is a OM314.

3.758 ccm, thats almost 0,7 liters per cylinder, which is quite american in my opinion :p
those 3,8 liters produce a whopping 80 Pferdest?rken, and 228 NM.
That's 79 Horsepower and 168 lb-ft for you :)

Although, I don't know why it stopped running all of a sudden. I asked them, but neither could give me a definitife answer. I guess I'll have to find out. this time i recruited some help though, since I learned some years ago that I'm not that good with diesel engines...

That help is actually the same guy who traded me a five gear transmission for the stroke eight after i learned that I'm no good with diesel engines :lol:

OK!
:lol:
Hopefully this won't have the same fate as the slow drag race with andeh and captain70s back when I bought that stroke eight <_<

I'm determined to pull this one through though ;)

Last edited:
IMAG2204.jpg

:rolleyes:

Before we pulled it out, I wanted to try and see if the brakes were stuck. I think only one was stuck, because after pulling it towards a tree with a lashing strap and rocking it back and forth a bit with a big fence post I heard one big "KNACK". Must've looked quite hilarious with me at the back trying to move it :lol:

And when the Neighbours son (the sellers brother-in-law) fired up the UNIMOG, it came out of it's hole with ease, nothing stuck, no weird sounds, nothing :D
IMAG2205.jpg

IMAG2208.jpg

Those things really can pull everything, through completely wet grass, and up a muddy hill without breaking a sweat. It has the same OM314 engine the bus has, afterall :cool:

And finally, it has a new home:
IMAG2210.jpg

IMAG2212.jpg

That's actually our tenants driveway, of which he has permission to use it, but not guaranteed... He was really happy about this, especially because I called him five minutes prior to us showing up and asked him to move his car :lol:
After I showed him around the bus a bit and told him it's only there for a short time, his face became a bit more relaxed though :)

So, the end of an era, and the start of a new one..
IMAG2211.jpg

Last edited:
This is awesome. And I agree with everyone, this would make be a fine continuation of the Ringmeet tradition of lapping vehicles that do not belong anywhere near the Ring. It needs to happen :p