Ownership Verified: Another Ex-Cop car

Cannot wait to see this all cleaned up!! A bit disappointed that you didn't get the Vic but this'll do nicely! Is that a G-wagon front bumper/grille? Would be epic if you could stick some pimp G-wagon bits on it!

Nevernind just saw the engine it had above. Needs a V8!

Last edited:
You better get your shit together and it going in 11 month :p

Do I look like I could get my shit together? :p

I mean, it didnt run when they parked it, something with overheating and or more, just getting it running is probably too much to ask...

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Storytime tomorrow, I had a reeeaally long day

edit: i kinda fucked up quoting thomas yesterday. makes more sense this way :)

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

You look like a total Hippie! Also, congrats!

So I'm fairly certain that this is why it stopped running all those years ago :)
The whole linkage going from the kill-button to the engine was bent and completely stuck. So it was just on always off :lol:
(you can see the little lever moving at the very back of the engine, that moves a flap in the exhaust for engine braking and shuts off fuel supply on the other side at the injection pump... Atleast I believe it shuts off fuel supply)

I am kinda torn between just being happy about it being that easy, and thinking that they couldn't have made that easy of a mistake, which leads me to thinking there must be something more... But still, even if something else is wrong, an engine that comes to life without any preparation whatsoever, apart from two batteries and pulling up the kill button might not be that bad of a base to start with :D

Also, I crawled around underneath it a a little bit yesterday and I found some potential coolant leak sources:

IMAG2224.jpg

IMAG2223.jpg

I mean, having a heater in the back of the bus is fancy and all, but also having 12 extra meters of potential leakage isn't :rolleyes:
Which makes me think, maybe it did overheat after they sprung a leak somewhere in that system on the way? Time will tell...

I also definetly found out that it has high-tech wheight saving technology:
IMAG2225.jpg

And I'm still fascinated by the fine dust filtering mechanism...
IMAG2220.jpg

IMAG2221.jpg

All the green was probably canceled out by the cloud of soot I freed up yesterday though :lol:

Anyways, in the meantime I'm happy, and the dog likes it too :cool:
IMAG2215.jpg

I think I made some mice and cats homeless :lol:

Cannot wait to see this all cleaned up!! A bit disappointed that you didn't get the Vic but this'll do nicely! Is that a G-wagon front bumper/grille? Would be epic if you could stick some pimp G-wagon bits on it!

Nevernind just saw the engine it had above. Needs a V8!

:lol:

That way it would never make it to ringmeet... Also, I value no bling and originality on my cars ;)
Although if i stray from originality, it'll stop after converting it to a camper, cause a V8 would destroy all the plates and cups :p:mrgreen:

Last edited:
"Raise one hand if the water gets to your knees!" :lol:

I like it, it's weird, it looks like it belongs in a skip, it's awesome, those damn things are nearly unkillable, the local municipality here had one driving around for decades up to a few years ago, no idea what killed it, but knowing that lot it was probably incompetence.

I also sorta feels this needs to be painted black with a red line and 'the B-TEAM' (badly) spraypainted on the sides....

I would have hoped the white paint would have come off as well :p

Somehow you're not the first person I know with a L508D (and I don't hang out in old Mercedes truck crowds) :???:
A fraternity brother of mine owns a L508D based tow truck here in the states.

Last edited:
Nice pickup!

Excellent, cannot wait to see what this turns into.

But damn, I'll lose my throne at the lowest power/weight ratio on FG. :lol:

Absolutely. I would station someone on the inside to warn of leaks.

Sounds like washing one of my cars. :lol:

I think this thing is great, I'm interested in what you plan to do with it. Camper conversion sounds good but I can understand you wanting to keep it original.

Thanks for all your emotional support guys, but I won't need it anymore:
IMAG2254.jpg

I found this when I cleaned out the inside of the bus, either it means I'll need it, or that I'll have a lot of luck with this :D

A powerwash would be so satisfying...

Absolutely. I would station someone on the inside to warn of leaks.

"Raise one hand if the water gets to your knees!" :lol:

I like it, it's weird, it looks like it belongs in a skip, it's awesome, those damn things are nearly unkillable, the local municipality here had one driving around for decades up to a few years ago, no idea what killed it, but knowing that lot it was probably incompetence.

I also sorta feels this needs to be painted black with a red line and 'the B-TEAM' (badly) spraypainted on the sides....

You can only kill these things with an absurd amount of miles or incompetence. Or, as in our case here, you can think you killed it, but really it was only stupidity :lol: Also, nice idea, I thought about giving it some graffiti before it gets repainted :)

On the powerwashing thing though, I must admit I'm kinda sentimental about 11 year old moss and lichen...

Heresy. I'd clean the windows but leave the rest of the moss and patina.

That's why I only cleaned the inside for a start:
IMAG2232.jpg

IMAG2239.jpg

That's basically all the trash that was inside the bus. I have to return the tables anyways, apparently they really missed them for the last eleven years :lol:
IMAG2241.jpg

IMAG2242.jpg

I think this is even more satisfying than powerwashing it :) Also, removing the deadmou5 and its droppings improves the interior climate a lot...
IMAG2227.jpg

Finding out how to open the roof windows helped too, though :D

Somehow you're not the first person I know with a L508D (and I don't hang out in old Mercedes truck crowds) :???:
A fraternity brother of mine owns a L508D based tow truck here in the states.

I thought I didn't hang out in the bus crowd either, but part of my motivation to buy this thing stems from having a friend with a huge camper 508D.
And Tuesday I went to visit some friends I hadn't seen in a few months, and only while I was already halfway there, I remembered that he has a D?do too.

So visiting them turned into studying a complete, running example:
IMAG2251.jpg

It seems I do hang out with the bus crowd... Although I know both of them through pure chance, not because they own buses :lol:

Nice pickup!

It's a bus, get your facts straight :p

Excellent, cannot wait to see what this turns into.

But damn, I'll lose my throne at the lowest power/weight ratio on FG. :lol:

The first FG member I thought about when buying this was you, by the way, and not because I would dethrone you... 6 child seats wouldn't be a problem in this, and it's way too slow to be unsafe ;)

Sounds like washing one of my cars. :lol:

I think this thing is great, I'm interested in what you plan to do with it. Camper conversion sounds good but I can understand you wanting to keep it original.

Semi-original is the way to go here, I think. First I'm going to restore it and after that it's going to receive an easily reversible camper build, so it doesnt loose all its practicality :)

Today though, I'm going to give it an oil change, bleed the clutch (hopefully it's not completely stuck), throw a new accsesory belt in it and fill the cooling system. If everything goes to plan, It's going to move under it's own power today :)

Although I think my plan is inherently flawed, I don't think parts stores have oil filters for this in stock anymore, so it's probably going to have to wait until tomorrow...

Last edited:
... did these things ever officially make it to the US?

I'm kind of in the market for a minibus, and every time I look at this thread I want.

It always make me smile when I notice that there's lots of other crazy (in a good way) people here. This shall be cool partybus or something like that :thumbsup:

If you don't get it running by the kill-switch fix, try to change the diesel filter. Also check those brake lines, wouldn't be too surprised if they have rotted away.