Ownership Verified: Another Ex-Cop car

If you don't get it running by the kill-switch fix, try to change the diesel filter. Also check those brake lines, wouldn't be too surprised if they have rotted away.

IIRC mercs of this vintage have a small in-line filter on the hose before the big screw-on fuel filter. Unless a GDPO removed it.

... did these things ever officially make it to the US?

I'm kind of in the market for a minibus, and every time I look at this thread I want.

No, I don't think so... Although I could make you want even more by posting another video of it starting up, because right now it starts on the first crank :cool:
But I think if you really wanted one, there are probably enough in the US to find one for you, without the crazy interior :)

It always make me smile when I notice that there's lots of other crazy (in a good way) people here. This shall be cool partybus or something like that :thumbsup:

If you don't get it running by the kill-switch fix, try to change the diesel filter. Also check those brake lines, wouldn't be too surprised if they have rotted away.

I think the Fuel system is pretty good, the tank isn't even considerably rusted from the outside, so hopefully the inside looks the same :) Judging by the way it runs rock-solid right now, yes it does :mrgreen:

Also, I have to admit I made a mistake about the Kill-Switch thing. That flap in the exhaust really only is for engine braking when going downhill, not for killing the engine. That's accomplished via pushing in the idle adjusting knob, which moves the whole gas linkage back 2 cm, shutting off fuel supply at the injection pump... Which is fortunate, because that explains why the gdpo's didn't notice tat the flap was permanently closed :)

Motoroam_508er.PNG

Motoroam_508er_2.PNG

:lol:
I may look like one, but that's way too hippie for me... Poor EyeMWing, if that's the best the US can do :comfort:

IIRC mercs of this vintage have a small in-line filter on the hose before the big screw-on fuel filter. Unless a GDPO removed it.

Maybe they did in some regions, but here they usually didn't. Atleast not as standard, maybe an optional extra? And even if they did, removing it would just leave a missing link in the fuel line, which would be too short to connect to the main filter. Anyways, as I said, It's running like a charm, so I don't think it's a problem ;)

Speaking of problems: Since the engine decided to be a sweetheart and just rumble into life, there just HAD to be something else, which I at first thought was a locked/rusted together clutch assembly, because how else would this come to be:
IMAG2272.jpg

So I spent three hours jacking up the back of the Bus and securing it with the large lashing straps, because it's standing on an incline, in hopes that just starting it in gear and letting it run, playing with the brakes etc. would free up the clutch... Only to find out that the wheels didn't turn with the engine even when in gear:?

So after that I thought that maybe the linkage might be stuck, after all it's always exposed to the elements on these trucks:
IMAG2277.jpg

I even removed the lower bellhousing cover and the transverse beam supporting the gearbox to get a better look and some leverage on everything:
IMAG2276.jpg

IMAG2278.jpg

All of this only to find out in the end that the slave cylinder somehow* froze solid, keeping the clutch barely open...
IMAG2282.jpg

Not surprising, considering you can see the rubber O-ring already squeezing out the side there <_<
(*Probably water and/or oil sinking to the very bottom of the system and standing in there for the last eleven or more years)

So right now I'm waiting for the rust solvent and wd-40 to sink into the thread of the piece brake line going to the slave, which has probably had time to solidly rust together for the last 40 years, and then I get to have the pleasure of trying to somehow get the piston out of there... I'll probably have to heat it up, or try to connect it to the brakes in the W124 and pump it out with force, otherwise I see no way of getting it out of there... Any ideas for an easier way are welcome :)

So, moral of the story: if you think you might have the wrong train of thought, think harder... If I had just put two and two together, I could've narrowed it down to it being either the linkage or the slave cylinder four days ago and already have the thing moving under its own power, which is itching me so goddamn hard right now :driving:

Last edited:
I finally managed to snap a proof pic:
IMAG2298.jpg

... and Name it. Or rather, it was named 38 years ago, when it first entered service:
IMAG2297.jpg

I thought about some other names, but "Flower" fits the hippiemobile quite well. So, thanks random police officer, and enjoy your retirement :)

Also, I finally managed to get the slave cylinder out of the car, and then get the piston out of the slave cylinder:
IMAG2299.jpg

IMAG2301.jpg

As expected, it was a little rusty... But i managed to get it silky smooth again, and then hone it with the redneck method, pushing some scotchbrite in and out with a large drillbit :D
All finished:
IMAG2303.jpg

(yes, that hammer was the final convincing argument for the piston to move :lol:)
... almost, today the new rubber seal should arrive. Or rather, a 20? rebuild kit, of which I only need one fucking thing, which probably costs 30 c to make :mad:

Oh, and I got some last beauty shots of the patina:
P9103119.JPG

P9103121.JPG

Last edited:
I love it! Got a ride in one once and it's awesome how slow and raw they are. Looking forward to your progress!

I think I know someone that beats you for slow. Somewhere in my area there's a high roof camper conversion, with an automatic. :lol:

I think I know someone that beats you for slow. Somewhere in my area there's a high roof camper conversion, with an automatic. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I can only imagine their pain. the OM314 (the only appropiate engine for this) didn't come with an automatic, so it must be a 2.4L diesel or less... :|

I love it! Got a ride in one once and it's awesome how slow and raw they are. Looking forward to your progress!

I cant change much about the slow, but I'll try and take some of the raw edge off ;)

And since we're talking about progress:

:mrgreen:

So, it moved from our driveway to our neighbours driveway without problems, success :lol:

And good news, everybody! I saved 20 ? today.
IMAG2305.jpg

Guess which one is the new seal, and which one got reused...

I have to say though, I wouldnt have reused the old rubber seal if it didn't feel almost the same as the new one. Elasticity was still very good, no tears or any other faults, just a lot of rust flakes on it. i even tested it with 10 bars of air pressure, and it held it for a lot longer than it takes to clutch in and out... And surprise, surprise, it works like a charm :cool:

The reward for moving on its own again was a bath with the neighbours power washer:
IMAG2312.jpg

I had to write something... I'd leave it too, if it didn't guarantee getting pulled over every 10 k's :lol:
IMAG2316.jpg

The roof was the hardest part to clean, I actually scrubbed all of it with a brush, and theres still a shadow of green on there:
IMAG2322.jpg

And the window seals held up pretty well too:
IMAG2317.jpg

Only one leak to be found. And it's from one of the side windows, not the skylights, those are perfectly sealed :thumbup:

Reactions: TC
:thumbsup:

Future Plans...

Future Plans...

So, I already posted half of what happened yesterday, but it just kept on getting better...

After I drove it over one house, and started cleaning it, our neighbour Martin told me I could leave it in their driveway since it wasn't actually in the way (hard to imagine, I know. I was surprised too :lol:) and that he actually planned on making the drive longer, and I can restore it in their yard basically, because the space in front of my garage where I usually do all the wrenching is very limited (and wet and snowy in the coming months)...

A little background before the next part: They just moved here this summer and restored the old, mucky house to new glory, and I helped them out a lot, some of it for regular pay, but about a third of the work I helped him with was for free, so this generousity isn't too surprising.

But I actually took it one step further, and offered to clean up their shed (there was a shitload of stuff left from the p/o in there, and they still aren't completely finished with their build, so you can imagine what it looks like in there) in exchange for space to restore the bus in a dry environment. Mutual benefit and all that stuff. And he actually took the offer ^_^

I think this bus is the luckiest thing ever... No stuck brakes after 11 years in a field, starts up without a problem, after 20 secs of cranking, the only thing keeping it from moving was a little rust, and now it gets a cozy place to be repaired over winter. I cant believe how this just keeps on getting better :)

So this is where it's parked right now, and the shed behind it is where I'll restore it if everything goes according to the plan:
IMAG2329.jpg

IMAG2330.jpg

IMAG2331.jpg

The powerwashing revealed a lot more rust and some paint came off where good metal was underneath, but overall I'm still pretty confident this thing will drive, come spring. Actually, I think if I just wanted to get it T?V'ed, I could do it in a week, but it would look horrible, and I still wouldn't be allowed to drive it, cause it's over 3.5 tons and this being germany you need a Truck licence to drive a small bus :rolleyes:. So Spring it is :)

I didn't get a ride in a police one thank god ;)

How much will it cost to get the necessary licence? It's really annoying it's not included in the normal licence anymore...

This is now the best PYC thread on FG :D Well done :thumbsup:

Also another vote for the bus to come to Ringmeet next year!

Damn kids who can't drive a ten ton truck on a car license :p

Ten tons? Try THIRTEEN tons.
But only five of those can be towed.

(Or to use long tons, 11.8 and 4.5 respectively)

Last edited:
This project is awesome! I can't wait to see how it progresses! :-D

I had all this stuff on my NZ licence by default, but they did not carry it over when I converted it to a .de licence :( sad.