Any other MANUAL purists out there? (parody of Posmo's thread)

I have never had a car with an automatic transition and I love manual to death!! Nevertheless, you have to separate performance driving from casual driving. Manual works awesome on a track but not soo much in a heavy traffic area. I think I could settle for one of those dual clutch transitions so I can get the best of both worlds.

Also, since I rarely get to drive automatics, how does the throttle response works there!? with manual, I have a full control over the engine's power in a given gear with my right foot. In automatics, I think, the gas pedal doesn't provide as much feedback as its probably connected with some computers to change the gears by itself.

And yes, heal and toe can get boring sometimes too. lol.

The last automatic car I have own was when I was 16. I am 28 now and the last 24 cars have all been manuals. I have no desire to have a car with a slushbox in it ever again.

Note: I stole this from Posmo and shamelessly edited it.

NOWAI!

It's not only the third pedal, but I love that mechanical feeling you get by rowing the shifter through the gears. And if it's a nice gearbox, like an MX-5, then it becomes an even bigger part of the experience.

This is very true

Manual is great, but a huge pain in the ass to live with if your city is slammed with traffic.

This is also very true, which leads me to the following :

Manuals are great for DRIVING. As in "not doing the daily grind/traffic jam stuff". Also, I wouldn't mind an auto on a big luxury car, because if I owned that I would just put it into waftmatic and go everywhere. On anything else manual = win though.
Manual even >> flappy paddles or DSG

join the club
Me three. FG social group?

I have driven DSG (A3), Shittronic (current car), regular autos and manuals. Manual IS the most fun way to drive bar none. The DSG is rediculously quick with the gear changes and does allow you to stay in the gear you want but nothing can beat popping the clutch.

I can see the point of an 8ms shift when you are dealing with time attack/track situations where fun comes second to results but for fun and involvement you need 3 pedals. I know alot of people don't like manual in traffic but to me it actually gives me something to do when sitting in bumper to bumper :D

If it comes with a manual, then I will get the manual. I'm 21 and have owned 4 cars. 2 manuals and 2 automatics. I learned to drive at age 14 on a manual 5 speed.

My Camry only offered an automatic in the V6 trim, and since it was either a choice of a 9 second 0-60 or a 5.8 second 0-60, I went with more POOOOWEEEEER. Although, it does have a manumatic shifter so I have slight control over what gear I am in. My RX8 has a 6 speed and I do not find it hard at all to start on hills or deal with heavy traffic. Since I already heel and toe while down shifting, it became easy for me to use all 3 pedals with two feet to start on a hill, never had to use the hand brake. My RX8 is sold so I will only have the Camry to drive from now on.

I am eyeing the new 2010 WRX :wicked:

I've owned 5 cars. All have been 5 speeds :)

another perfect reason why you should have two (or more) cars in your garage.

Not a purist - there are legitimate reasons for having automatics out there - but I'm also never going to get an auto for my primary transportation. There's the mechanical feel, naturally, but the more important thing is that the vast majority of automatics just aren't as responsive. Bad ones feel as though they're being shifted from another country, but even the good ones don't feel as though they're quite as responsive as even a bad manual.

It depends where I am really. Now that I live in upstate NY, it's not so bad having a manual gear box. I like the semi autos, its a nice concept, but I don't know I just like the feeling of shifting the gears when I want to. If I had a semi auto, I'd start left foot braking more often, just because it would feel like I had a go kart with gears.

When I was in DC, I had a manual, and it sucked there, because DC is one of the worst places in the US with traffic. I took a lot of public transit when I lived there, and got my car just for fun, not for commuting. Since there's not as much traffic, and its more spread out, I can use my car as a daily driver if I want to (but sucks on gas, hahaha).

The correct -wheel drive is more important to me than whether the car is an auto or not. Some cars absolutely HAVE to have a slushbox (The S-class for instance.), and some cars should NEVER have one. (any smaller car, and every sports car ever made, etc.)

I can live with both, but shifting a manual is satisfying.

BTW, the []:s make the OP a pain to read.

Count me in! Never owned an auto, never even rented an auto.

But I think it's days are numbered, what with all this doppelkupplungsgetriebe nonsense going around.

...so everybody in here also prefers Porsche over Ferrari, because they no longer offer cars with a manual? :p

...so everybody in here also prefers Porsche over Ferrari, because they no longer offer cars with a manual? :p

I do, yes.

Paddle-shift/SMG/DSG/whatever (and CVT) boxes are not appealing to me in the slightest. While some of them may shift faster than you could with a manual, that's really not the point. Only a true manual with three pedals gives you the sensation of rowing your own through the gates. That, to me, is an amazing feeling. Gives you more control, too.
If I was in the market for a luxury car, I wouldn't buy an S-class or a 7-ser simply because they are auto. I'd go out and find an M5.
I also have no interest whatsoever in drag racing... so no auto for me! I've driven in heavy traffic, too, and its really not nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be.

JUST SAY NO
TorqueConverter.jpg

JUST SAY NO
TorqueConverter.jpg

You can manually shift with a torque converter. The logic which shifts the transmission is further down.

My added bit: I don't care if the two pedal is SST, SMG, DSG, PDK, wet clutch, F1 shifters, semi manual, "fastest transmission in the world" or whatever they call it. A working manual gearbox > the best 2 pedal car in the world.[...]
You remind me of myself when I was younger ... I also wouldn?t have taken an Auto-Auto if they were giving them away for free back then ...

But you get older ... spend (what feels like) half your day in stop/go traffic every commute and just want to get somewhere, the "how" becomes more and more meaningless. I still prefer manual ... but I don?t oppose automatics anymore like I used to. Hell, in ten years, I?ll prob want one to make my life just that little bit more effordless ... :)

And another ten years later, I?ll get myself a nice mid-life crisis porsche ... and smash it into a tree ... just for giggles