Any other MANUAL purists out there? (parody of Posmo's thread)

Just because some dumbass pulls up in a 5-speed with no skill does not mean manuals are "worse" for people- it means they are worse for people with no skill, who in my opinion (excepting injuries) should not be driving that type of vehicle, at least in that way.

I would put 95% of people in the "no skill" category.

People who say "it gives me control" but then don't actually shift properly have less control.

Too many people focus on shifting when their overall driving skills are total rubbish -- and basically, that's everyone that's never been properly schooled in high performance driving (in other words, pretty much everyone).

Steve

People who say "it gives me control" but then don't actually shift properly have less control.

Too many people focus on shifting when their overall driving skills are total rubbish -- and basically, that's everyone that's never been properly schooled in high performance driving (in other words, pretty much everyone).

Steve

This post sponsored by Steve Levin's driving school. :p

Steve

And you're a fucking douche for thinking like that. I come from a country with VERY few performance driving schools (Can't name any off the top of my head.), and the motorsport achievements of Finland speak for themselves.. It's entirely possible to teach yourself to drive well, and IMO the best way to learn things by heart is if you discover them by yourself.

Too many people focus on shifting when their overall driving skills are total rubbish
Agreed.

-- and basically, that's everyone that's never been properly schooled in high performance driving (in other words, pretty much everyone).

Steve
Disagreed. HPDEs are certainly very helpful but you can learn a LOT about various aspects of car control simply through experience. Track days, autocross, even backroads and inclimate weather driving can all teach you a lot.

And you're a fucking douche for thinking like that. I come from a country with VERY few performance driving schools (Can't name any off the top of my head.), and the motorsport achievements of Finland speak for themselves.. It's entirely possible to teach yourself to drive well, and IMO the best way to learn things by heart is if you discover them by yourself.

You're not autmatically a good driver just cos you were born in Finland... :rolleyes:

You're not autmatically a good driver just cos you were born in Finland... :rolleyes:

Which is why I never said so.<_< Im also not automatically a bad driver if I haven't gone to a CERTIFIED PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOL

Which is why I never said so.<_< Im also not automatically a bad driver if I haven't gone to a CERTIFIED PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOL

Yes but it's more than unlikely that you're a good driver after having your license for under a year.

Yes but it's more than unlikely that you're a good driver after having your license for under a year.

I've had my licence for over a year, besides, were are talking here about things in general here (again) Performance driving schools are worthless for people who have driven around gravel roads and ice tracks since they were tall enough to reach the pedals..

Are you quoting James from that episode where he went to Finland?

Not intentionally. But there are a shi-ton of kids here in the countryside who own beater cars and race them around ice tracks and old fields.

Performance driving schools are worthless for people who have driven around gravel roads and ice tracks since they were tall enough to reach the pedals..

Whoa, dead wrong, sorry. While you can certainly become a very good driver without doing HPDE, they will certainly teach you a few things. There are things that you cant figure out on your own without an instructor pointing them out.

Whoa, dead wrong, sorry. While you can certainly become a very good driver without doing HPDE, they will certainly teach you a few things. There are things that you cant figure out on your own without an instructor pointing them out.

Whoah, bullshit. With enough time behind the wheel and a few books&web pages and you'll be all set.

How many years behind the wheel do you have exactly? Sorry dude, but driving around on dirt roads and reading some books does not make you a great driver. It can make you decent, but that's it. Everyone thinks that they are fantastic drivers but in reality that's just not true.

How many years behind the wheel do you have exactly? Sorry dude, but driving around on dirt roads and reading some books does not make you a great driver. It can make you decent, but that's it. Everyone thinks that they are fantastic drivers but in reality that's just not true.

Yeah, but it did make 90% of these people great drivers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Finnish_rally_drivers

I've grown tired of you always assuming im thinking about myself when I make my (correct) claims.