Anyone have experience with micro 4/3rds format cameras?

Brand new I paid about $900 for the above kit package. Def not cheap but I love having SLR picture quality in a compact size. The larger Panasonic micro 4/3rds cameras that look like smaller SLRs are pointless IMHO, its still too big to be portable and for the price you can get a better full SLR.

That I agree on. Actually met a guy with a G1 the other day, he was really grumpy over the size, and I really understand that.

If you want an SLR-like camera at around that size, well, get the Olympus E-620 and a pancake..

just chiming in to say I have the same setup (GF1 + 20mm f/1.7) and love it. Great alternative to something big and bulky when you don't need studio quality. I'm also testing a new lens from a company called NOKTOR on the GF1...50mm f/0.95!

How do you like the Noktor? :)

it's an amazing thing. it is fully manual in every respect, no electronic connection to the camera at all. but it's a blast to use and produces some incredible images. I'm going to shoot a music act tonight, I'll be uploading stuff to my flickr and vimeo accounts next week :)

Some more shots w my 20mm

4410151085_6b734efd28.jpg

4410918646_e148080527.jpg

4408303577_a462aab4f4.jpg

... digging up an older one here ...

So my boss has been waving his Olympus E-P2 with the already famous 20mm Panasonic pancake in my face within the last days. I have seen the results. I am impressed. I've dug the net for more, and I probably want one. About the 20mm pancake I'm sure, but not the camera. Olympus or Panasonic? And which one? Hmmm...

What I would be looking for is the perfect result with out of the camera JPEGs. For shooting RAW and taking time to post-process, I have my dSLR. What I want is a compact, lightweight walkaround to produce a picture of the best quality I can get when I push the button.

It seems the Olympus models win the reviews hands down when it comes to out-of-cam JPEGs, with the E-PL1 being the current king of the class. But is there anyone with real world experience with this camera, preferrably in combination with the 20mm Panasonic?

This could just be the high-end compact cam for the dSLR owner who is looking for an easy everyday alternative. Here is a sample pic of the aforementioned kit, straight out of the cam and the lens wide open:

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/the_interceptor/2010/09/30/P5083122.JPG

Opinions?

Last edited:
I love the new Pen cameras ever since I first heard of them. Haven't got my hands on one yet but as you said, this one, coupled with the pancake lens, is the definitive DSLR owner's pocket camera.
And I've looked up prices and while it's a bit more expensive than a G11 I think it's a better deal, with the interchangeable lenses and all.
Other similar ones I can think of are the Sony Nex series cameras, but they look like a compact with a huge lens attached

nex-5_15.jpg

Last edited:
More "compact" than compact... but one huge advantage that Olympiss has is the sensor stabilization. GF1 with a pancake means no stabilization at all. Olympus has syrup on their pancakes.... or something...

edit: NEX is retarded. Hurr durrp lets put an APS sensor in it and a smaller body than the m4/3 cameras! What could possibly go wrong! Oh... right... our lenses are SLR sized... nobody will notice though...

Last edited:
There's also that Fuji one coming soon, can't remember the name, the retro styled one with no interchangeable lens

There's also that Fuji one coming soon, can't remember the name, the retro styled one with no interchangeable lens
It's the Fuji X100. With a target price of 1000 Euros however, I find it a bit steep as a second camera independently of how good it might be. But maybe the price is going to come down once it is released, let's wait and see. The Olympus E-PL1 and the 20mm Panasonic pancake come at 710 Euros right now, so if the Fuji would drop to the 800ish Euro mark, it might become a contender.

Last edited:
It's also worth noting that the ?4/3 cameras can (via a cheap adapter) use all kinds of obscure old SLR and rangefinder optics. If you can live with MF, lot's of fun can be had with ?4/3 cameras.

It's also worth noting that the ?4/3 cameras can (via a cheap adapter) use all kinds of obscure old SLR and rangefinder optics. If you can live with MF and no viewfinder, lot's of fun can be had with ?4/3 cameras.

Fixed that for you. Old MF slr lenses with old MF slrs aint no thang, the viewfinders are chocked full of split prisms and microprisms (and rangefinder focus aids on rangefinders). Old lenses on micro 4/3 is a novelty.

Last edited:
Fixed that for you. Old MF slr lenses with old MF slrs aint no thang, the viewfinders are chocked full of split prisms and microprisms (and rangefinder focus aids on rangefinders). Old lenses on micro 4/3 is a novelty.
Err, in my experience MF and live view works like a charm.

I was at an expo last year at Norway's biggest photo store, at the Olympus stand they had several E-p1s, one of which had a ?4/3 to OM adapter, and some old Oly OM glass (think it was a 50/1,4) attached. Focusing while using the LCD screen was no problem at all, pluss you have the ability to set a point to magnify 10x the spot you'd like to focus on. In my opinion it works as well as any split prism, also split prisms have a nasty habit of blacking out at longer focal lenghts; On my Pentax ME Super the split prism is blacked out at more than 140 or 150-ish mm.

Just wanted to share with you that I did decide to order an Olympus E-PL1 and the 20mm Pancakesonic. It will be a couple of days until all this kit arrives, but I am very eager to do the first shots. :)

Last edited:
Just wanted to shate with you that I did decide to order an Olympus E-PL1 and the 20mm Pancakesonic. It will be a couple of days until all this kit arrives, but I am very eager to do the first shots. :)

Looking forward to it, considered one for a while.

Add one to the micro 4/3 brigade. I just picked up a used Olympus E-P1 with 14-42mm lens for $500. We'll see how this puppy works out.

Just wanted to share with you that I did decide to order an Olympus E-PL1 and the 20mm Pancakesonic. It will be a couple of days until all this kit arrives, but I am very eager to do the first shots. :)
Congratulations :D Did you get it with the optional VF-2?

Add one to the micro 4/3 brigade. I just picked up a used Olympus E-P1 with 14-42mm lens for $500. We'll see how this puppy works out.
Congrats to you too... :thumbsup:

First impressions are pretty encouraging. At a ISO640 it has roughly (just eyeballing it) the level of noise that my Canon A650 IS did at 100, so the huge sensor is paying dividends already. Autofocus in low light situations is slower though, taking at least twice as long even with the latest firmware update. This is a known weakness of the Olympus micro 4/3 cameras.

Congratulations :D Did you get it with the optional VF-2?
Thanks and no, I dislike electronical viewfinders. I always get the feeling I am a fly when I look through them. Let's wait and see how the work with the cam turns out though, I can still upgrade to the VF-2.