Anyone here still into cartoons?

I remember when Adult Swim started doing Shin Chan. I was watching it one night, and it was fucking hilarious. I even told my at-the-time girlfriend to turn it on and watch it, and she thought it was hilarious. So we made a big deal about it and said we were gonna watch the next episode.

And then we were both... just kinda deeply disturbed at the next episode. And the next one... And the next one...

^ :lol:

What were you "disturbed" by? :p

Shin Chan cartoon should be enjoyed in Japanese or Chinese, it's more funny, if you understand either languages :D Or maybe read the Shin Chan comics? They're seriously good, albeit English versions of it are extremely rare. I have a near complete collection of the comics in Chinese.

Ugh, I struggle to consider DB/Z/GT a true "cartoon". It's anime, and after the Frieza "5 minutes = 12 episodes" saga, it stopped being a decent anime.

Yeah I remember that LOL. It took like 20 episodes for Goku to build his Spirit Bomb. :lol:

Still, the stories and characters were so awesome, it has to be one of the greatest animes/cartoons ever.

Yes, I consider it both an anime and a cartoon because it's aimed at kids, same with Pokemon.

Okay, dudes with funny hair and steroids murdering dudes with funny hair and steroids? I can dig that. Where it falls oh so very short is the pacing (except in the first season, really). If you follow or have any interest in the plot at all, and aren't just watching for the seizure strobe attacks, you'll get bored... quickly.

I think we should specify "American-made cartoons" for sake of discussion. No offense to you anime people, but you know what we're talking about when we say "cartoons". :p

Cowboy Bebop is an anime too, but it's one of the best cartoons/things ever made.

ah anime one of my fave media forms. a long time anime viewer some of my top anime shows are Dragonball Z, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop (awesome show!), Death Note and Robotech.
currently i watch One Piece and Bleach and both are great shows.
as for cartoon shows i grew up on Transformers, GI JOE (or Action Force here in the UK) and the Real Ghostbusters. Still enjoy watching them even now. Especially Transformers, you'd never have a villain character nowadays who can transform into a gun.

I also got all 3 seasons of Beast Wars Transformers on DVD. It's even better then I remember from Junior High.

You sir are a man of taste and refinement, all 3 seasons also sit on my shelf. A bit cheesy perhaps in moments but top notch action and awesome characters.

Daria and Animaniacs were also very firm favourites here, along with Hey Arnold, Real Monsters and many more.

^ A lot of those cartoons had the kind of humor that you could laugh at later when you were all growed up for a completely different reason than you had before. I love that. :mrgreen:

^ I felt the same way with Angry Beavers, do these Nick people have subliminiminal dialogue or what :p

300px-Promo_tiny_toon_.jpg

Of course I have been a Simpson's fan since the beginning. The great part about the latter is re-watching it now that I am older and getting more of the comedy.

This is so true. I've been rewatching a bunch of old Simpsons episodes and there are some seriously deep references and social commentaries I would have never picked up 8-10 years ago.

This is so true. I've been rewatching a bunch of old Simpsons episodes and there are some seriously deep references and social commentaries I would have never picked up 8-10 years ago.

when i was younger and watching the Simpsons i found i enjoyed episodes revolving around Bart and Lisa to be the ones that i enjoyed the most. however as i've gotten older and grown up i've found that the true star of the simpsons is Homer and really enjoyed watching a lot of the older episodes over again.

Cross-posted in Cool Videos...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PhzrmBgMI&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6IWX1_XHQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Last edited:
^^ Animaniacs FTW!

Here's nine minutes of the terror that flaps in the night....

[YOUTUBE]8RJsjeoP8_w[/YOUTUBE]

There are quite some cartoons I like:
Animaniacs, Tex Avery cartoons (e.g. Droopy), Duck Tales, Dilbert, Nu Pogodi (Sovjet Tom & Jerry look-a-like), The Jetsons, Futurama, Gunslinger Girls (anime), ....

I love the oldschool stuff from the Warner Bros crew (Chuck Jones, Mel Blanc, etc...)

One of my favourite short films is 'Duck Amuck' which I spotted from Youtube few weeks ago. I bet some of you have seen this but it's just brilliant...
[youtube]FYpUHXIQ1YY[/youtube]

Last edited:
I still love this old Soviet cartoon I used to watch as a kid called Nu Pogodi. Its basically a copy off of Tom & Jerry (although the director didn't know about it), but less politically correct. As wikipedia puts it
The Wolf [1 of 2 main characters], commonly transliterated into English as Volk, is initially portrayed as a hooligan who eagerly turns to vandalism, abuses minors, breaks laws and is a heavy smoker.
That would never make it into an American kids' show.

Also,
There are very few spoken lines in the series. The most common line is "Nu, pogodi!" (Well, just you wait!). This is recited by Wolf when his plans fail. The series' trademark is that at the end of each episode (and at the end of the pre-title introduction), Wolf recites "Nu, Zayats, pogodi!" (Well, Hare, you just wait!). The series also includes many grunts, laughs and songs.
So its really easy to watch even if you don't understand Russian. I recommend it to everyone (only the original 16 episodes are worth watching, 17-18 are ok, and 19-20 are garbage). Each episode is only about 9 minutes long, and they're all here http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=vitaly149&view=videos&query=nu+pogodi