Apparently I need an AWD/4WD car now

LeVeL

Forum Addict
First winter with a REALLY steep driveway and even snow tires and an LSD are struggling. Also my street doesn't get plowed all that well. So methinks it might be time for a new car :cry:

Top picks right now:
  • Lincoln MKZ would be great but they're still pricey.
  • 4th gen Acura TL came with a manual and AWD but they're hard to find.
  • I like the Mazda CX3 and CX5 but on US cars stability control can't be defeated, which ruins the fun completely.
  • Charger V6/AWD maybe?

Others:
  • I don't like Subaru but I suppose I don't mind the Crosstrek all that much. Before anyone suggests a WRX, they're terribad.
  • I don't like Audi/VW.
  • With BMW or Merc I'd be concerned about reliability.
  • I don't like most SUVs but humor me. Our Grand Cherokee is great but I don't want to spend the money on another one.
  • I don't like Wranglers.
  • I don't really want a truck (Spectre will suggest one anyways but no, really, I don't want a truck lol)
  • Definitely nothing beige and boring (Rav4, CRV, Rogue, etc)

Any other ideas?

Get a Psyclone or a Typhoon. Both are AWD and have fun potential.

It's a bit of a heffalump but..Lincoln MKT? That or the Ford Flex. The latter isn't really an SUV.

If none of the above...perhaps an RLX?

• 4th gen Acura TL came with a manual and AWD but they're hard to find.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=536129015
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=536206407
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=536471239

• With BMW or Merc I'd be concerned about reliability.

What about CPO? CPO usually has a better warranty than new.

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/used/2014-BMW-328i-xdrive-WBA3G7C55EKN37531

It's a bit of a heffalump but..Lincoln MKT? That or the Ford Flex. The latter isn't really an SUV.

Neither are SUVs and both very comfortable. And they're pretty damn fast with the 3.5L Ecoboost.

Last edited:
R35? :p

cadillac CT6 also has AWD!

What's your budget? If you want a BMW/Merc, you can lease them for $500 a month.

Alternately, Lexus GX470/GX460. Love mine, super comfy, and you can buy a Prius strainer for a bumper. Also still compact enough to be maneuverable.

I'd suggest a Hyundai Genesis AWD sedan, but they as competent as they are boring.

What's your budget? If you want a BMW/Merc, you can lease them for $500 a month.

Alternately, Lexus GX470/GX460. Love mine, super comfy, and you can buy a Prius strainer for a bumper. Also still compact enough to be maneuverable.

I'd suggest a Hyundai Genesis AWD sedan, but they as competent as they are boring.
I'd like to keep my payment under $300/mo, the lower the better. So figure that's a lease on a $25-30k new car or it's a used $15k car.

I like the GX but I don't think I can see myself in one; I'll think about this option though.

Speaking of Lexus, how about an 06+ LS460? If I'm going to be stuck with a boring automatic, might as well be cocooned in luxury and look like a playa :roflmao:

Edit: or an IS350

Last edited:
My buddy lives his 2nd gen IS350 and just picked up a 3rd gen GS350 for his girlfriend.
Is the autotragic in those any good? I'd like to be towards the ZF/PDK end of the spectrum and further away from the 2001-Ford-Focus-Four-Speed side.

V8/AWD was/is also an option on the LX cars.
Those old 5-speed autos sucked though. I'm thinking a newer model with the ZF 8-speed.

V8/AWD was/is also an option on the LX cars.

Have to do a Police Pursuit model to get an AWD V8 Charger these days.

Is the autotragic in those any good? I'd like to be towards the ZF/PDK end of the spectrum and further away from the 2001-Ford-Focus-Four-Speed side.
absolutely no opportunity to go fast or to have ANY fun.

You answered your own question. Its an automatic transmission. It gets the job done. Its smooth and changes gears when it needs to.

Those old 5-speed autos sucked though. I'm thinking a newer model with the ZF 8-speed.

I've never had any complaints about the NAG1, but I also have it set up to shift very firm. The 8s are nice but yeah, can't get AWD with them. Guess you're stuck with the Pentastar then.

I've never had any complaints about the NAG1, but I also have it set up to shift very firm. The 8s are nice but yeah, can't get AWD with them. Guess you're stuck with the Pentastar then.

I've seen a few newer Police models already on decommissioned auctions.

https://www.copcarsonline.com/2018_Dodge_Charger_Largo_FL_35020052.veh

But again, its the old 5 speed. And you're going to have a very utilitarian bare-bones interior with holes drilled in random places and a column shifter.

My dad's MkIV Golf has been running great and it's somewhere around 150k miles. However, his previous B7 A4 was an absolute black hole for money - horrific reliability with several major problems. If that R had 40k miles then maybe, but I won't go anywhere near a VAG product with 100k. Great idea though!

Edit: how's the reliability on the Evo X? :devil: