Apple Announces iPhone 2.0

All we need now is to hear that WM 6.1 has been released for my blackjack...

Been looking forward to it for a very long time

I already have an "old" phone but as my contract is up and I require a new phone any way am getting a new one today.

Am hoping that the app store has some good stuff on it and that it is quickly hacked so the apps can be downloaded and installed. Seems like it won't take long for them to crack the 2.0 firmware as there have been some beta of it out and they didn't take long to do.

Gotta love the iPhone hackers.

I can't even get iTunes to install. God I fucking hate that POS software.

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2008/07/10/itunes.png

Not gonna install 2.0 anyway until I can jailbreak it probably.

Got iTunes sorted out after like an hour, ugh.

So, they jailbroke it already but it isn't released yet?
I don't want to update until I can unlock it, since it won't work with my Social Democratic carrier down here.

So, they jailbroke it already but it isn't released yet?
I don't want to update until I can unlock it, since it won't work with my Social Democratic carrier down here.
Correct. Don't upgrade yet.

So has anyone here got an iPhone 3G yet? I am tempted to buy, but I already have the original one and I am not sure whether 3G really warrants spending another 500? for a contract free iPhone.

Hey guys, I need some help ASAP. A friend of mine, well his girlfriend likes my iPhone a lot. So he wants to get one for her.
He's not from the States but he has a friend there on vacation who is willing to buy one for him. He (my friend) just wants to
know what to expect on a jailbroken iPhone 3G. Which funtions are going to be limite. Stuff like:

- Will App Store work?
- Is it even possible to jailbreak/unlock a 3G iPhone at the moment? [does the 3G one run 2.0 and up only?]
- Is it possible to buy one without a contract, anyway? [i read that it is on the previous page, just want to be sure]

And stuff like that. I would GREATLY appreciate if anyone can help. Thanks in advance!

- Will App Store work?
- Is it even possible to jailbreak/unlock a 3G iPhone at the moment? [does the 3G one run 2.0 and up only?]
- Is it possible to buy one without a contract, anyway? [i read that it is on the previous page, just want to be sure]

- unlikely
- They working on it, expected soon
- no, some countries have it for sale outright for a huge price.

I heard that you can buy an iPhone in an Apple store without contract. Whutz up wit dat? :3

I heard that you can buy an iPhone in an Apple store without contract. Whutz up wit dat? :3
Only in some countries where they legally have to do it, i.e. not the USA.

I don't believe you actually have to sign up when you buy the phone, but they don't sell any-network ones here.

I think telstra officially rape people the most on the iphone, $5 on top of your plan buys you 5mb and additional mb charged at $1....

I think Vodafone Australia's is worse than Telstra's. At least Telstra has reasonable 3G coverage across the country to justify their costs.

Vodafone's got nothing, and the equivalent of an Optus $49 plan costs $69 at Voda. I haven't checked the coverage maps completely, but the ones I've seen show the two line-ball.

I've used Voda for a decade now, but if I decide to buy an iPhone instead of waiting for the Blackberry Bold I'll be jumping ship. I'll have to decide whether I can get over my distaste for Telstra and their charges, in exchange for 3G data in more areas while travelling.