Archery

I suppose it doesn't matter when it comes to hunting, as speed and brute force gets a higher priority to accuracy. :dunno:

I suppose it doesn't matter when it comes to hunting, as speed and brute force gets a higher priority to accuracy. :dunno:

I'd say that's the exact opposite of true. Bowhunters are absolutely fanatical about shot placement. True, they also care about FPS and GPP/FOC, but any bowhunter you talk to will tell you that accuracy and placement are paramount.

Yes, but not as much as in competitive shooting where your goal is the size of a coin at 70 metres.

Yes, but not as much as in competitive shooting where your goal is the size of a coin at 70 metres.

I agree, but that doesn't make this statement correct:

speed and brute force gets a higher priority to accuracy.

Compromises are made, mainly for reliability and the ability to traverse the woods - moving through the underbrush with a set of stabilizers would be comical and would scare off your intended prey quite reliably. This does not mean that "speed and force" are considered more important than accuracy.

For the record, Field and Stream did a comparison between a dropaway and a whisker biscuit. There was no significant difference in accuracy, and only a very minor drop in speed.

Ordered the pictured arrow rest(got some late money from some relatives for my name day), decided it was worth it as much fun as I'm having doing archery on a budget. Next thing I'm saving up for are some carbon fibre arrows.

CF arrows aren't expensive. 3-4 euro per arrow will get you very good target arrows. It starts getting expensive when you go looking for hunting tips.

And make sure your target is quite large. At first I kinda missed a bunch with my good arrows... there's like 3 big holes in the garden shed, the tips and a bit of CF still embedded in the wood and 15 euro down the drain. :lol:

Well the box the bow came in is hueg and makes a good target so far. Will tape some targets on it and fill it with styrofoam.

And the arrow rest is here, it's rather nice and solid. Also, I need a longer 5/16-24 screw to fit it, and I can't find one! Used the first broken arrow rest to hold it in place.

x7NTG4l.jpg

VAbGcog.jpg

Those are textolite/novotext/tufnol/whatever spacers there.

Last edited:
Even though I posted here in 2011, I completely forgot such a thread existed.
This weekend I'll visit a club and maybe even shoot some arrows. :p
Also, what is GPP? FOC?

Even though I posted here in 2011, I completely forgot such a thread existed.
This weekend I'll visit a club and maybe even shoot some arrows. :p
Also, what is GPP? FOC?

Yeah it's a bit quiet, haha. I don't usually talk archery unless I've bought something new and fancy, although I think I even forgot to post my newest longbow here. :lol: Shame!

GPP is Grains per Pound, it's a measure of arrow weight (in grains) per pound of draw weight. So, if you were shooting a 300-grain arrow out of a 50lb bow, you would be shooting 6GPP. It's considered important for a couple of reasons: first is that the lighter your arrow, the closer your bow is to being effectively dry-fired since there is less arrow mass to absorb the shock of firing. Folks generally recommend at least 5GPP to avoid bow damage, although I can't say for sure how accurate that rule-of-thumb is. Second is hunters (especially trad hunters) like to have heavier arrows so they have greater inertia, in theory that will help them penetrate better if they glance off a bone, rather than just wounding the creature. Trad hunters tend to shoot for around 10GPP, but as with anything there's many different opinions on it.

FOC is "forward of center", which is a measure of where the center of balance of the arrow is. Trad hunters tend to like the balance to be biased more towards the point end of the arrow, so GPP/FOC are influenced by both arrow weight and point weight. A light arrow with a heavy point will give a high FOC, and vice-versa. FOC is very opinion-oriented and I'm not sure if anyone has done any real testing on how it affects arrow penetration.

Cool!
Thanks for the explanation.
After posting, I found more about GPP, and apparently some bow manufacturers void their warranty if you go lower than 5 because, as you said, you risk damaging the bow. Interesting.
If everything goes as planned, this Sunday I'll visit the club. I said I was gonna do that before, but the instructor told me no one would be there due to summer vacation. We'll see. :)