Archery

A 66" bow is rather long but not unheard of, so a 62" string sounds reasonable. If nothing else you should be able to try them out to make sure they're the right length. Make sure you use a bow stringer!

That's a cool little device... I normally do this:

[video=youtube;E-ZNpgFDkcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ZNpgFDkcs[/video]

What do you use to glue those velcro things? I don't wanna ruin the wood further...

Last edited:
That's a cool little device... I normally do this:

What do you use to glue those velcro things? I don't wanna ruin the wood further...

Stringing a bow with the leg method is probably the #1 reason bow limbs get bent or broken. A good stringer is like $10, it's absolutely worth it.

The velcro I buy has a sticky backing on it and comes off with a little heat (a blowdryer generally works fine). If you're worried, you can buy material designed for rests.

I can't stand these big armguards. Maybe because all the ones from my club are old and worn out. So, I use one of these:

https://pic.armedcats.net/d/da/danrom/2011/02/21/armguard.jpg

Yesterday nicjasno and I tried to capture the arrow mid flight right as it exits the bow. No luck. This is the closest we got:
On Thursday a guy at my club had a radar gun with him and we measured the arrow speeds. Slowest (me with my weak-ass Recurve bow for my weak-ass arms and shoulders) was at about 180 kph, fastest (a Compund bow guy) was at over 300 kph.
So yeah, capturing the arrow from the side in-flight should be somewhat difficult.

I've measured my beginner compound to be around 250 km/h and after I train my technique up and get a tighter grouping, I'll upgrade to a PSE Vengeance, which with my settings should be around 330 km/h.

I did manage to get a good-ish grouping with the cheapo arrows yesterday (then a dead centre with the good one) at 20 metres. It's funny how different the cheap ones are to the pricier ones. I had to use the 30 metre reticule for them where as the 20 one for the good arrows.

I'm curious, knowing nothing about archery. Why is your left hand open before you release and closed afterwards?

Reflex. That's one of the things I need to work on. You're not allowed to grab hold of the bow, but let it dip forward.

Thanks.

Now if you want to make things look really cool, get nicjasno to construct a classic target entirely out of Lego.......... ;)

So, pricier=more accurate?

Better balance, weight distribution, materials, flight control, etc... The shaft is made from carbon fibre, not fibreglass, which makes it a lot lighter, stiffer and straighter in flight, the tips and nocks (at least on this model) are segmented aluminium inserts, so you can vary their weight and the vanes are a different shape to carve the air more efficiently.

Nice!
I didn?t know that hi-tech archery gear was so easily available.

It?s hard to have both at the same time. :p