Assuming Clarkson is being sacked, who would you want to replace him?

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
I have no idea if the show will continue or not, but let's say hypothetically that it will. I would love to see someone with that same brash sense of "F-You, I do what I want" but the field of potential candidates is pretty open. Who would be your choice and why?

loads of people.

lets hope they don't pick a cheesy one

I think it would be kind of neat to see Tiff come back over to Top Gear. I fully realize that is NEVER going to happen, but this is all hypothetical anyway, right?

This.

Jezza is the glue that holds Top Gear together, and not only do James and Richard know this, but they have already expressed solidarity. If BBC sacks him, it's best that all three gents flip the bird, pack their things, and take their talents and chemistry to a new company and start a whole new show.

Hm. Paul Horrell? Ollie Marriage? John Howell? It's time to promote a car writer, I think.

Keep that amateur level stuff to youtube.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Harris - been following his videos since he worked at Autocar - but that doesn't mean he would be suitable to Top Gear. Nor would any other journalist.

I would be a lot happier to see Top Gear die with what we've been given so far rather than dragging the show on with some mediocre hosts who will just ruin it. Nearly certain that Richard, James and Wilman would leave with him.

What would be splendid if they did a nice season finale and show us the rest of the films they've already made without the studio shots. If the episodes end up being only 30 minutes, so be it. Why waste perfectly good talent of video editing and awesome camera work?

Keep that amateur level stuff to youtube.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Harris - been following his videos since he worked at Autocar - but that doesn't mean he would be suitable to Top Gear. Nor would any other journalist.

I would be a lot happier to see Top Gear die with what we've been given so far rather than dragging the show on with some mediocre hosts who will just ruin it. Nearly certain that Richard, James and Wilman would leave with him.

This.

David Coulthard maybe Tiff or Ben Collins... Martin Brundle possibly, Andy Wilman used to be a host on Top Gear but I wonder if he prefers being behind the camera.

With the current style of Top Gear, would Tiff be too serious for the show? He's fantastic presenter on fifth gear, love his style but, on top gear? I don't know.

If Top Gear became more serious, it just be like Fifth Gear which seems silly to have both.

I'd like to see one final, special show, with all 3 guys, airing the remaining films. BBC owes the fans at least that.

With the current style of Top Gear, would Tiff be too serious for the show? He's fantastic presenter on fifth gear, love his style but, on top gear? I don't know.

If Top Gear became more serious, it just be like Fifth Gear which seems silly to have both.

He's made appearances on Top Gear and he's already reasonably close to the show so he could probably adapt if needed.
Maybe you have Tiff come to Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson go to Fifth gear, then you could just have Clarkson make the odd cameo appearance now and then and could even continue doing Top Gear Live on some level.

Last edited:
Any attempt at "replacing" Clarkson would fail. It simply cannot be done, and would go down worse than TG Australia. They may replace the entire lineup, but it'll never be the same, and it will always feel like people are trying too hard to be like the original hosts. The best they can hope for is to revamp the entire show with a new lineup, new premise, and new direction. TG USA has survived only because it's not always trying to be TG UK. (no SIARPC, one segment per episode, no audience, etc) I enjoy the fact that TG USA is different. Any continuance of TG UK without Jeremy is hopeless unless they completely rework the entire show.

That said, I hope Jeremy stays and nothing changes, because TG UK has been brilliant, even with its flaws.

Replace the entire lineup and watch them grow. Some fresh blood might bring new life to the series.

Rowan Atkinson is probably the only one that could fit that role without major backlash.

He is a legitimate car nut, can do both serious and funny really well and he can drive (top of the table for the Cee-apostrophe-d).

While I do like Tiff, I think I'd like to see Chris Evans if there has to be a Jeremy replacement.

Sure, it would never be the same, but Top Gear can go on with different folks. Go into the specific episode discussions, and you see a lot of folks whining about how old and stale and repetitive it has become -- perhaps a breath of fresh air wouldn't hurt. Sure, it would never be the same, and then I'm sure we don't really even begin to comprehend how much Jeremy is involved in the writing of everything, but it could go on. It's just a matter of how many people would continue to watch it, and if any new ones might come by to check it out.

Personally, and frankly, I would be far more hurt if James May didn't go on -- he is really the one that I enjoy the most.

Last edited:
no one, if they attempt to continue the show with a different cast I just wont support it. It be like any other offshoot top gear and not the original