Ownership Verified: At last, a proper sized Motorcycle (2012 Yamaha Super Tenere)

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso
Well, after spending countless hours over months trying to make my 1998 Tiger into the bike I wanted it, I was still getting nowhere. I could barely stand to be on it for 100 miles which just doesn't cut it on what is supposed to be a touring bike. After much careful thought, I decided to hell with reason, I'm going to sell the Tiger and buy the bike I really wanted in the first place, the Yamaha Super Tenere. My local dealer had one in stock, which they had taken delivery of on 7/27/2011, after which it proceeded to sit in their showroom, waiting for me, until today, 7/4/2012. I struck a deal with them and off I went on my first brand new bike.

And I really do mean brand new.
IMG1256-XL.jpg

Yes, that is 0 miles on the ODO.

I took the long way home, turning the 1 mile ride from the dealer to my house into 30 miles, and stopped for some pics along the way.

IMG1257-XL.jpg

IMG1258-XL.jpg

And back home in the driveway.

IMG1260-XL.jpg

This thing is going to be fun. :cool:

And proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sat in the dealer for nearly a year? :blink:

Anyway, CONGRATS! :thumbsup:

Nice! :thumbup:

You've really come a long way. Seems like just yesterday you were bitching about the leaking carbs on the VF500. :lol:

It sat in the dealer for nearly a year? :blink:

Anyway, CONGRATS! :thumbsup:

Yup, this is not adventure bike country. The ratios I see riding on the street is about 90% cruisers, 7% sport bikes, and 3% everything else mostly being old UJMs. I have seen 2 other adv bikes up here that weren't obviously traveling through since I've been here and only one appeared to leave pavement. I have gotten some seriously bemused looks from people on this thing already. I guess they aren't used to seeing 6'5" guys in bright gear standing on the pegs doing 55 down a country road on a giant blue dirt bike. :lol:

Nice! :thumbup:

You've really come a long way. Seems like just yesterday you were bitching about the leaking carbs on the VF500. :lol:

Heh, yeah, I have been going through bikes pretty quickly, but that will be ending with this one. I am still stoked that I don't have to get online and figure out how to fix all of the crap the GDPO neglected like i have had to do on every other bike I've owned.

I hope I can come along just as quickly. Glad you've gotten what you wanted all along!

Get that first one running first and then go from there. ;)

You sold the Triumph?!? My mom says I'm not allowed to play with you anymore...

The Triumph was designed for brits, even with lowered pegs and risers, it had a super cramped riding position.

So, I made it a whole 47 miles before riding it on a dirt road, the temptation was too great. I am happy to report, this thing is fantastic on the loose stuff, far better than the old Tiger was. It is more like a huge WR250F than a jacked up street bike.

IMG1264-XL.jpg

IMG1267-XL.jpg

Wow, awesome choice! I've wanted one since it was introduced. I just don't wanna spend that much on a new bike because I know I'm gonna drop and scratch it while offroading.

Wow, awesome choice! I've wanted one since it was introduced. I just don't wanna spend that much on a new bike because I know I'm gonna drop and scratch it while offroading.

Thanks, I have been really pleased with it so far. I had also been watching since they were introduced and knew I had to have one at some point, so when the opportunity came up, I couldn't resist.

I put 50 more break in miles on it today, for a total of about 130 so far. I've got a big loop planed for tomorrow which should be another 240 or so.

Here is a nice spot I stopped at.

IMG1280-X2.jpg

Last edited:
No more chain or carb maintenance!

Great bike, happy riding. How long are the service intervals?

Just had the 600 mile service done. Only 400 to go until break in is done per the manual and I can let 'er rip. :burnrubber:

Congratulations, definitely one of the bikes I would consider if I start riding on the streets again.

Congratulations, definitely one of the bikes I would consider if I start riding on the streets again.

Thanks, this thing was my dream bike, and I never thought I would have one so soon, but luckily things worked out in my favor :D

__

I was busy today in the garage, bolting various crap to it.

IMG1311-XL.jpg

So the total accessory tally is:
-SW Motch Quicklock Evo Racks
-SW Motech Trax Evo cases, 37L on the left and 45L on the right
-SW Motech 1" bar risers
-AltRider crash bars
-AltRider bash plate
-MatStad adjustable windshield bracket
-Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag

I have been very pleased with the SW Motech components. Compared to the installation of the Hepco Becker racks on my former tiger, this was a walk in the park, no bending required, everything just bolted right up. The AltRider crash bars took a little creativity, mostly because you have to lift the whole assembly up and then bolt in on which is a bit difficult alone but not impossible.

Overall, everything fit and it was so much more fun to bolt nice clean stuff onto a new bike, compared to my usual wrenching sessions which are full of curses in the direction of the GDPO who installed something wrong or never replaced a critical part causing me to have to spend hours correcting it just so I can go for a ride. :lol:

A few more pics of the various farkles.

IMG1313-XL.jpg

IMG1312-XL.jpg

IMG1314-XL.jpg

IMG1315-XL.jpg

I look forward to getting out on the road and seeing if that bracket fixed my windscreen woes since the stock config put the buffeting right at my mouth which is more than a little noisy.

Well I rode about 100 miles today with the windscreen and bracket in various configurations and I could never get rid of either the noise or the buffeting, I always had one, the other or both, so I've just ordered some different screens which should do the trick. Also got a better daylight pic of all of the installed farkles.

IMG13171-X2.jpg

Have you considered an MRA touring lip? It
s a lil' spoiler that you can either clamp or bolt onto your windshield.

12879-425x350.jpg

I had been considering getting a MRA vario screen for it, but I've just ordered a couple of screens from California Scientific. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Tenereprod.html

I've gone for the tinted shorty and the XL, for warmer and colder weather. Those plus the MadStad bracket should mean I can finally get some peace and quiet while riding it. They should be here by the end of the week.

Both of my CalSci screens arrived yesterday. The barn-door like XL seemed to work ok, but the MadStad bracket wasn't doing it any favors, so I've removed it. Since it is summer I think I will just be running the tinted shorty which looks much more awesome.

IMG1350-XL.jpg

IMG1351-XL.jpg

IMG1355-X2.jpg

The shorty also helps me ride slower. With that huge screen on it, it was way too easy to ride way over the speed limit since there was no wind blast to speak of.