Attn Germans: Looking for stuff to do in/around Leipzig!

chaos386

.sa = bad driver!
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR
So I'm going to be in Germany for a couple weeks in the beginning of September (culminating in the MiniRingmeet on the 11th and 12th), starting off in Magdeburg, driving down south to Suhl, up north to Berlin and Hamburg, and then southwest to the Netherlands and the N?rburgring. One of the stops along the way was supposed to be Leipzig, since it's on the route and there's a BMW factory there, but I recently found out that plant tours for individuals are only given in German, and that you need to book a group tour to get one in English, so that's kinda sunk that idea.

Right now, I'm looking for suggestions for things to do/see in the area. Anything automotive-related or with fantastic scenery is obviously good (living in a desert really makes you appreciate trees), but I'm open to other ideas, so help a member out! :D

If you're bored in Berlin, give me a call...

Near Leipzig is the V?lkerschlachtdenkmal, which is worth a visit if there's no Nazi demonstration while you visit :p

Additional must-see for Berlin: The German Museum of Technology which not only features classic cars, steam trains and an original plane from the Berlin Air Lift, but also other stuff like a working replica of Konrad Zuse's first computer.

In Leipzig there is a Porsche-factory, too, and in Dresden (about 100 km away) there is the AMD-factory. In Dresden is also the palace Zwinger and the whole inner city which is architectural pretty interesting. Leipzig isn't that interesting besides the Monument to the Battle of the Nations and sometimes the Leipzig fair, but in the beginning of September there is nothing really interesting there.

Another recommendation in Hamburg besides the Miniatur-Wunderland: U 434, an old russian submarine which lays in the harbour and can be visited.

If you're bored in Berlin, give me a call...

Near Leipzig is the V?lkerschlachtdenkmal, which is worth a visit if there's no Nazi demonstration while you visit :p

Wouldent a nazi demonstration make it MORE intresting? :p bonuspoints for wearing a Ch? Guevara shirt while watching them go by :p

Last edited:
Additional must-see for Berlin: The German Museum of Technology which not only features classic cars, steam trains and an original plane from the Berlin Air Lift, but also other stuff like a working replica of Konrad Zuse's first computer.

This. Very much this. It is awesome, I go there every time I visit Berlin (which incidentally will be 9-16 oct)

Yeah, I had fun with the anti-Israeli demonstration going through Stuttgart last year :p

If you have time, the Sinsheim and Speyer Technical Museums are worth a visit as well. It appears that they make the 1er at the Leipzig BMW plant.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys! I doubt I'll be able to make it to most of them, but I'll definitely be keeping them in mind for possible future trips to Germany. :)

Oh believe me, that's been on my list for a while now. They even have a cloud chamber! :thumbsup:

If you have a day to spare in Munich, go visit the Deutsches Museum. It's a really big and interesting technical museum, one day there is a packed one.

Maybe we are reaching tech museum overkill now.

No mention of Bach anyone? The dude spent a major part of his life there so there are loads of museums and old buildings with Bach-based exhibits and performances.

No mention of Bach anyone? The dude spent a major part of his life there so there are loads of museums and old buildings with Bach-based exhibits and performances.

You have a vuvuzela in your avater and your sudgesting Bach? :p

but I recently found out that plant tours for individuals are only given in German

Kidnap an English-speaking German to go on the tour with you to translate :D

Should work like a charm when you pay the entry fee for the "kidnapped" person. :D