ATTN Italians, Help me plan my holiday in Italy

Jmiller

Car(s)
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5
Please help plan our vacation, my family has tickets to go to Italy this summer for just under 3 weeks. We are going in late May early June. We will be flying into Rome and then hopefully going North, West, than south back to Rome where we fly out of. My family consists of my parents who are between 45-48, My sister and myself aged 19 to 21. I am wanting to know what are the must see items in these areas? We are looking to do some tourist stuff but also local things, and seeing what the locals do etc. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I could write a book on the topic but thankfully it has already been done, get the lonely planet or Time out guide on Italy/Rome/Tuscany.

I would spend at least a good week exploring Rome, then head north into the Tuscan countryside, rent a apartment or house at a agriturismo and go on day trips.

If you make it to Tuscany by the end of May and are into motorsports, don't miss the moto gp race at Mugello on the 31st of May.

I would highly recommend eating lunch and dinner outside the tourist areas. By the tourist traps you will pay double and the food ain't good...

If you have a day or 2 to spare, try to make it to Pompeii (it's like 2-3 hour train ride south from Rome). It is so awesome just to walk around the old cobbled streets and homes. There's even a colosseum you can walk into and reenact scenes from Gladiator. :D

Pfft. All you need to do is watch the movie Eurotrip to get a guide of Europe.

The only place I've been in Italy is Venice, all I can say is that 2 days there is enough.

Modena is a nice city, but pretty far from Rome...