Audi R8 GT

jpmfan

Audi dropped a very pleasant surprise on us this afternoon with the long awaited announcement of the R8 GT.

The Audi R8 V10 was already one of our favorite sports cars in the world (sans the R-Tronic transmission) so how could you make it better? In the immortal words of Colin Chapman, "add lightness." But in a modern sports car required to meet rigorous safety standards you can only go so far short of a complete redesign. So the R8 GT's lightened chassis benefits from a power boost to boot.

The R8 GT swaps out a thinner glass windshield and polycarbonate rear windows and replaces many aluminum body panels with carbon fiber. By going over every part of the R8, Audi's engineers have carved a total of 220 pounds off the standard R8's curb weight.

The 5.2-liter V10 has been bumped from 525 horsepower to 560, topping its cousin the Lamborghini Gallardo. The GT is only available with the aforementioned R-Tronic hydraulically actuated semi-automatic, and when pushed to its limit, the R8 GT is claimed to accelerate to 62 miles per hour in just 3.6 seconds and on to 124 mph in 10.6 seconds. The terminal velocity has been increased as well to 198.8 mph.

Only 333 examples of the R8 GT will be built and the price in Germany is ?193,000. No mention is made of U.S. availability, but we'd be surprised if Audi doesn't apportion a few for Stateside consumption

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/01/breaking-audi-r8-gt-goes-on-a-diet-and-gets-more-power/
r8gt100001large.jpg

r8gt100002large.jpg

My head could fit in to those exhausts:|

But still 'do want' :D

To be honest, I'd be more happy with a "standard" V8 R8.

Autocar's story on it:

Audi will launch a hardcore 560bhp GT version of the R8 supercar to go head to head with the Porsche 911 GT3 and Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera.
Just 33 of the hot R8 GTs are headed to the UK from a planned total production run of 333, a number Audi UK is already saying is not enough.

See the official Audi R8 GT pics

Three years after the R8 burst onto the supercar scene, the GT version will match a more powerful V10 engine with a stiffer chassis, revised aerodynamics and weight-saving technology.

Some of the engineering ideas have been proven on Audi?s R8 LMS racer, seen at last week?s Silverstone round of the FIA GT championship.
The GT wasn?t originally planned to be part of the R8 line-up, but Audi has responded to customer demand for a more focused version of the mid-engined coup? along the lines of the Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

As well as being a quick road car with sufficient tractability and compliance for road use, the R8 GT will also be suitable for track days and club competition events.
Optional equipment will include a bolt-in roll cage, four-point race belts, fire extinguisher and kill switch for the battery.

At the heart of the R8 GT is a modified version of the R8 V10?s naturally aspirated, direct-injection 5.2-litre petrol engine ? essentially the same unit used by the Gallardo Superleggera but with a different exhaust system.

Distinguished by unique red cylinder heads, it has been tweaked to deliver an additional 42bhp, at 560bhp. That endows the R8 GT with an impressive power-to-weight ratio of 367bhp per tonne, some 39bhp per tonne more than the 911 GT3 RS. Torque has risen by 7lb ft to 398lb ft at 6500rpm.
These heady reserves are channelled to all four wheels via a beefed-up version of Audi?s six-speed R-tronic robotised manual ?box and a viscous coupling that provides a 15 per cent front/85 per cent rear torque split as standard.

When more front-end traction is needed, the viscous coupling diverts drive forward to a maximum 30/70 split. Audi has also equipped the GT with a standard mechanical locking rear differential with 25 per cent lock-up under acceleration and 40 per cent on the overrun.

Audi claims the R8 GT will hit 62mph from a standstill in just 3.6sec ? 0.3sec faster than the R8 V10 and 0.4sec inside the official time of the 911 GT3 RS.
The 199mph top speed is 2mph quicker than the R8 V10 and 6mph more than the Porsche. Weight savings of 95kg have been made with a new carbonfibre liftback, fixed rear wing, modified brake calipers, reduced engine bay sound deadening and a lighter windscreen fashioned from thinner glass.

Polycarbonate replaces the glass in both the rear window and rear liftback. However, at 1525kg the GT is still 135kg heavier than the 911 GT3 and 185kg more than the Gallardo Superleggera.

The R8?s chassis has also been reworked, with firmer springs and dampers that lower the ride height by 10mm, while the ESP has been recalibrated; 19-inch alloy wheels wear 235/35 rubber up front and 295/30s at the rear.

Externally the GT is distinguished by a front splitter, carbonfibre ?winglets? on the corners of the front bumper and the fixed rear wing.
Standard R8 chrome features are remade in matt grey. Inside, there are unique R8 GT instrument graphics, a newly designed shift lever, a liberal splashing of Alcantara and unique door sills.

The R8 GT is expected to be priced at around ?142,000 ? a hefty premium over the R8 V10 FSI?s ?103,265 list price. The order book opens in the summer, and the first cars will be delivered in the spring of next year.

Last edited:
I'd take the standard V8 too. I love the sound it makes. The V10 sounds too close to a Lambo and doesn't really fit the car.

I'm going against the trend and saying I like the V10.

V10 >> V8

V10 >> V8

I'd have a R8 GT over any other R8, any time! I Like the additional bodywork. I like the round exhaustpipes over the oval ones. I like the rear wing. And I do really like the fact that it now has at least as much power as the stock Lamborghini Gallardo. God damn, why didn't they bring this special version of the R8 with 600hp?! - The 5.2 litre V10 could provide this extra amount of power easily. It's only the damned VAG internal brand-policy which denies the R8-chassis the lot of power it deserves to have.

I'm pretty sure a simple ECU re-tune/unlock would have this thing at Gallardo+ levels of power.

Sure, but it'd be kind of a reward to Audi for the succesfull R8 projekt from the VAG, if they were allowed to offer at least this special version of the R8 in stock with the same or even more power as the Gallardo SL.

Concerning the argumentation 2010 R8 GT vs. 2010 911 GT3 RS: The R8 GT is not a direct opponent of the GT3 RS because it nearly costs 50 grand more than a GT3 RS.

I feel like they should wait a little longer between editions lol. The people who ordered the standard V10 are probably just receiving orders now as this GT is announced.
Mind you once the GT ends up in people's driveways Audi is sure to announce some other R8 V12 GT S "german for superleggera" version.
Such is the way of the auto world.

Audi sure knows how to milk the cow. But still big amounts of do want here, although I'd still probably take the regular V10 in blue :). One thing though, how can this thing be 185kg heavier than the Gallardo Superleggera, when it's almost the same car?

Concerning the argumentation 2010 R8 GT vs. 2010 911 GT3 RS: The R8 GT is not a direct opponent of the GT3 RS because it nearly costs 50 grand more than a GT3 RS.

In many tests the "underdog" GT3 RS has performed just as well as the 50k more rival...

In many tests the "underdog" GT3 RS has performed just as well as the 50k more rival...
I know and personally I'd take a 2010 GT3 RS over any R8, Gallardo, F458, SLS, etc. because I do simply adore the Porsche for being designed so uncompromisingly.

But that's just me and luckily I needn't to make the decision, which one to buy. I'm just going to buy all of those

as a model car. ;)

because I do simply adore the Porsche for being designed so uncompromisingly.

*raises and waves hand*

Hello? Yes! Excuse me. One question! Why is it uncompromising? Are we excluding putting the engine in the wrong place or is that the uncompromising part? Because I'm pretty sure the handling is very compromised by the rear engine.

Last edited:
I feel like they should wait a little longer between editions lol. The people who ordered the standard V10 are probably just receiving orders now as this GT is announced.
Mind you once the GT ends up in people's driveways Audi is sure to announce some other R8 V12 GT S "german for superleggera" version.
Such is the way of the auto world.

I want them to make this:

2416491_1021_full.jpg

Yes, a diesel version with an engine based off the R15 LMP1 car. It'd be something gamechanging, and if anyone can make a diesel supercar it'd be Audi.

Last edited: