Australian V8 Supercars

Devon said:
It has been an extraordinarily complex issue that has taken a great deal of time to work through and TEGA is satisfied that it has reached a commercial settlement that is in the best interests of the sport, the fans, sponsors and associated stakeholders - This says to me, HRT are guilty as sin, but losing them would be a disaster for the sport.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait...

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Its easy to say that they were always safe, and I'd always maintained that the sport couldn't afford to lose them (the sport or me?) but this is a tremendous relief! I'm delighted to make adjustments to my PR essay for uni now 8)

Last edited:
If it were the FIA running V8 Supercars, they would have been hauled to Paris and told to be there at a certain time on a certain day with all the relevant paperwork and to explain why they shouldnt be booted out the championship.

Well, lets see what happens over the rest of the season. Hopefully that Walkinshaw wanker gets sent packing!!

Opps :lol: . The press releases from a few days ago also said "an extraordinarily complex issue....", so I thought it was old.

Next race needs to hurry up and get here - I'm desperate for touring car action and DTM doesn't start until April! :(

What, nobody watched Round 2? :blink:

Terrific round I thought! Some great duals all over the field. Skaife's driving was of top quality I thought. I was surprised with how much of a handful Lowndes car was in that final race particularly. Where was Ingall?! Hard luck for Todd but an awesome recovery considering he started dead last for race 2. Very impressed with the DJR cars (is that what they're called anymore...whatever).

Loving the VE Commodores - they do look really nice!

I think that since DJR became aligned with Triple Eight, that they are becoming the front running Ford team. Ford seriously needs a new model Falcon though, I like Fords but the VE is stunning.

Lowndes is disappointing me, alot. I think it's Tanders year this year.

What, nobody watched Round 2? :blink:

Roll on the Toll / HRT juggernaut - 5 wins from 5 starts, holding the top four positions in the championship... ominous... (still early days of course).

Lowndes is disappointing me, alot. I think it's Tanders year this year.

It's not just Lowndes - 888 seem to be behind the 8-ball a bit. It's the machinery letting Craig down a little, not the other way around.

Agreed on Tander though - he was my early pick for the title, and so far so good.

Oh, and welcome back DJR!!!! Great to see them getting some decent results.

Oh, and welcome back DJR!!!! Great to see them getting some decent results.

Yeah I'm not a Ford fan but I'm really happy to see DJR getting some solid results. They have been through some very lean times lately. I guess this proves that Johnson Jr can actually drive and not just potter around in one of dad's cars.

I hope Toll/HRT dont dominate the season or we'll be back to the 98-2000 era when all the talk was about parity etc etc... I like to see a bit of variety - keeps the championship interesting.

I watched the first two races (belatedly, I was in Melbourne for the weekend and missed the coverage) and they were quite entertaining. Hope HRT can raise their game just a little bit more to get ahead of the Toll HSV cars, but it looks like it could be a very entertaining four way battle royale between the two teams. Nobody else looks like a serious challenger at the moment, although the DJR cars showed pleasing pace. It would be nice to have them in a competitive position again, one step behind the Holdens of course ;)

Looking foward to Pukehoe, or however its spelt! :p

You guys miss the round or something? Surely someone here watched it :p

I'm not particularly concerned with the on track action (how about that Morris/Jones incident ay?) but its worth discussing the race three debacle where they shortened the race to comply with the TV schedules (more specifically so the Seven network could broadcast a live AFL game). Apparently Garth Tander reckons he wasn't aware he was on the final lap once the safety car had pulled in so he didn't try to pass Radisich. Personally I believe this is his and the team's fault because the viewers were made aware of this (repeatedly), and we caught the radio transmissions from other teams warning their drivers of the shortened race.

The problem is how sport is increasingly becoming hostage to the television schedule. We all know how at an AFL game the umpires have to wait for the go ahead before bouncing the ball to recommence play. The race in New Zealand was cut short so Seven may wrap up their program with the podium celebrations and the other post race stuff that happens. I don't know about you guys, but I switched it off after the chequered flag fell and didn't see any of the post race show. The question Seven must ask themselves is what do the fans want to see? More racing or more err...non racing? I think we all know the answer to that. How would those trackside feel when they heard that the race was shortened?

Come on Seven, improve your act and stop treating us like shit.

Im fed up with V8's already. 7 has ruined it. The drivers didnt even know the race was shortened for the footy. Who cares if we miss 15 mins of footy??

Im glad I like F1 and that Im moving to Scotland so that I get ITV coverage.

^Guys, part of the problem the race was also shortened to a one-lap-dash is because the recovery crews fucked around for far too long. All they had to do was pull it off the wall then onto the flat-bed. But no, they were shown spinning it around, pulling it out, almost crushing the driver (sorry, I forget his name) when lowering the flat bed. Also, there were 3 or 4 emergency cars there! Bloody Kiwis!

And also bloody Channel 7.

Garth Tander should have been told by his team that it was a dash to the finish. All teams would have been made aware of the fact, we even overheard other teams telling their driver's of this fact. Why wasn't Garth Tander told?

^Guys, part of the problem the race was also shortened to a one-lap-dash is because the recovery crews fucked around for far too long. All they had to do was pull it off the wall then onto the flat-bed. But no, they were shown spinning it around, pulling it out, almost crushing the driver (sorry, I forget his name) when lowering the flat bed. Also, there were 3 or 4 emergency cars there! Bloody Kiwis!

And also bloody Channel 7.

Garth Tander should have been told by his team that it was a dash to the finish. All teams would have been made aware of the fact, we even overheard other teams telling their driver's of this fact. Why wasn't Garth Tander told?

You read my mind - I mean just how hard is to get a car on a tilt-tray? The commentary team knew about the timed race, the teams knew (the incorrect time they received at an earlier briefing had been later corrected), so what's Toll's story?

I think the some of the comments about channel 7 are a bit harsh, it's not entirely their fault the race being shortened. The race director chooses to shorten it because they have to finish by a certain time for a number of reason I ashume. I mean this stuff happened when ten was covering the V8s as well. Plus the recovery crew did a below average job.

One thing I don't like is how the overall champion for the round is determined by the third race, Garth one both race 1 & 2 and Rick wins race 3 and is decalred the round champion, even though they finished on equal points, the same thing happened in Adeliade as well. I know the rule has been around for awhile, but that doesn't me it's correct...

One thing I don't like is how the overall champion for the round is determined by the third race, Garth one both race 1 & 2 and Rick wins race 3 and is decalred the round champion, even though they finished on equal points, the same thing happened in Adeliade as well. I know the rule has been around for awhile, but that doesn't me it's correct...

It's a dumb rule - I can't see any logic in it, Tander should've been the round winner on a count-back.

V8 Supercars Australia ensures fans of race finishes

Release Date: 26/04/2007

V8 Supercars Australia will allow longer time buffers prior to and following Championship Series races to avoid ending them before the scheduled amount of laps are complete.

The steps follow the decision of V8 Supercars Australia on Sunday to complete only 36 of the scheduled 43 laps in the third race in New Zealand that was badly affected by two lengthy safety car periods.

A review held today will also result in the development of a professional training package to instruct all recovery crews and speed up the amount of time it takes to rescue stricken V8 Supercars.

Further measures will also be taken to either cut or shorten the post-race celebrations should a similar circumstance arise in the future, in order to allow a race to come to its? full conclusion.

The two incidents in New Zealand resulted in 21 and a half minutes of race time being lost whilst the field circulated at low speed behind the safety car. Had either incident not occurred or the recovery processes taken so long, the race would have easily finished its? full total of laps.

V8 Supercars Australia Chief Executive Officer Wayne Cattach said longer buffers of at least five minutes on either side of races as well implementing improved recovery training procedures would help prevent a reoccurrence of the shortened New Zealand race.

?The reasoning behind us calling the race short was simply because we had these two very, very long safety car periods,? Mr Cattach said.

?The first one we can understand because we had a car flipped on its roof and a driver potentially in a dangerous situation. The second one was quite frankly not acceptable.

?Unlike most other sports, motor racing can suffer lengthy delays because accidents can occur at any time. It is impossible to predict lengthy delays but at the same time we need to do our best to minimise them.?

Mr Cattach said Network Seven played no part in the decision to end the race and head to the post-race celebrations.

?We made the judgment call to shorten the race in favour of showing the podium presentation,? he said.

?This was not a decision made by Network Seven as has been speculated and widely reported. The decision was ours and ours alone. Network Seven were not involved in this decision in any way.

?We apologise to our fans that it happened and assure them we will fix these problems.?

Mr Cattach said the precautionary measures will be adopted before the next Championship round at Winton in Victoria, where a training video would also be prepared. He said V8 Supercars Australia may also appoint its own expert to oversee all car recoveries.

Source