Australian version of Top Gear

I'm not sure what's worse, an inferior knock off or a "quintessentially Australian" adaptation.

We'll get a couple of average morons on there with ridiculous names such as "Sausage Rolls" and "Richo", they'll bang on about how one American marque is apparently better than another American marque, the audience will start wooping and before you know it they'll pull out something called "Stigsy" to settle the juvenile debate.

Now to stretch that over a whole season...

SBS has a good car racing production team already. They were the first to cover the national Drifting championship and if anyones ever listened to the ex racing driver commentators on a saturday when they cover the various ameture championchips, they will know that they're good for a laugh.
I suspect the hosts will incorporate an ethnic semi-celebrity or racing car driver because it's in SBS charter as a multicultural station to include minority groups in thier boradcasts. So I guess we could round down prospective hosts from that.

There's also a guy called Dieter 'something' that started a very ok show on channel 31 (Australias community channel). He did some great interviews including one with Bob Jane that was very memorable. Dieter wanted to get FPV to let his show test thier straight 6 turbo. To get them to agree he managed to get Glenn Ridge to accompany him. From there he ended up for a short stint on the admitently shit Car Show on Channel 9.
I'll bet that Dieter ends up as one of the hosts.

Who cares if the Aussie version isn't as great as the original. What's the worst that can happen, we won't like it as much?

Ooh!!!

Ooh!!!

Crossover episodes!!!!!

We could have crossover episodes!!!!!!!

TopGear, TopGear: Australia, TopGear: Miami and TopGear: New York could all swap hosts with TopGear: Criminal Intent and TopGear: SVU!!!!!

I'm genuinely interested to see how this turns out. When does the show start airing?

ooooh, wonder who could be the hosts?

they would have to be motoring journalists so probably someone from motor or Wheels. also there are australian correspendants in the top gear magazine arent there?

This could end badly.

But I still will watch it and support it. If they get some good presenters it might even work.

They could even launch the show with JC, RH and JM as SIARPC. That would give it good viewing figures to start with.

What would the reasonably priced car be? The Lacetti is sold here as the Holden Viva, so they could use the same one if they wanted to.

I love it how all the australians on here are like "it's probably going to suck"

:D

Im willing to keep an open mind. I havent been exposed to any other car shows apart from Top Gear and I look forward to seeing some cars offered in Australia put to the test.

The cynicism was to be expected. TopGear is nearly perfect. It'll be difficult to create something worthy of the name. I don't think it will suck though.

It'll be rubbish.

Partly because there won't be James, Jeremy and Richard (who really are the show, without them it's nothing), partly because the first puff of smoke from the tyres will have Harold Scruby going mental (even if it's on a track).

What's more, it'll probably feature a supercar review once a season, rather than every episode, most of the time, we'll see the 'Stig' driving Toyota Aurions around a track, and presenters basically saying the new HSV/FPV/TRD is so good they want to fellate the person who designed it.

In fact, I'd almost say the only supercar reviews it'd feature would be rebroadcast UK Top Gear ones.

I'll watch the first episode, but I don't have much hope for it, even if it is on SBS (which have had some decent shows in the past).

Hmm...sounds interesting.

What i DO want to see is a locally produced show with Andy Wilman's production style. Yes we have the equipment and people to do a great shot..!!

What we don't have here is anything close to the TG lads in the UK. Nobody springs to mind that even comes close. That moot point will make or break the show.

Other shows here are pretty crap to say the least with one show having a test driver called "The Chip"...!!....cmon guys be original...!!

There is just no host in Aus with the calibre of JC, and we have nowhere near the variety in performance cars.. or any cars for that matter.

I can see the promo's now :cry:

COMING UP THIS WEEK IN TOP GEAR OZ...

SPECIAL COMMODORE VS FALCON SHOWDOWN...

STAR IN A REASONABLY PRICED CAR IS... ROVE MCMANUS

THIS WEEKS ECONOMY CHALLENGE .... MELBOURNE TO SYDNEY ON ONE CARTON OF BEER - IT IS POSSIBLE!

THIS WEEKS PERFORMANCE CHALLENGE... CAN YOU FIT A LARGE EXHAUST TO YOUR COMMODORE AND STILL LET THE MISSUS DRIVE IT?

OUR TAME RACING DRIVER / AUSSIE STIG TAKES THE NEW (insert latest performance add-on) ADD-ON FOR THE FALCON ROUND OUR TEST TRACK

PLUS

WE REVIEW LASTS WEEKS COMMODORE VS FALCON REVIEW

AND TAKE A SNEEK PREVIEW OF NEXT WEEKS....... COMMODORE VS FALCON LUGGAGE CAPACITY.. YOU'LL BE AMAZED! (by how many cartons of beer fit in)

The cool wall will be just Falcons & Commodores from different years (except the VL Commodore because it had a Nissan engine)

The Top Gear Aus test track will be the local K-Mart car park with empty VB cartons to mark the layout

The Stig will be Craig Lowndes because the media in Aus just love him and would %$#& him if they could :lol:

Oh well it'll be interesting :mrgreen:

Because they are using the Top Gear brand, hopefully SBS will have certain quality benchmarks that it will be contractually obligued to meet.

But I think it will be crap.

Aust Top Gear Host

Aust Top Gear Host

It is a clear choice !
the former host of Channel 31's "The C Word" , Dieter Kahsnitz
He is currently doing a show called Viva Melbourne but he is really a motorhead with personality.
The C Word was way better than The Car Show
The Car Show was all Glenn Ridge and I don't think Dieter was allowed to express his talent but the The C Word was hilarious and he has developed cult following from that.
Vote Dietz for Top Gear !!!

JenJen xx:D

There is just no host in Aus with the calibre of JC, and we have nowhere near the variety in performance cars.. or any cars for that matter.

I can see the promo's now :cry:

COMING UP THIS WEEK IN TOP GEAR OZ...

SPECIAL COMMODORE VS FALCON SHOWDOWN...

STAR IN A REASONABLY PRICED CAR IS... ROVE MCMANUS

THIS WEEKS ECONOMY CHALLENGE .... MELBOURNE TO SYDNEY ON ONE CARTON OF BEER - IT IS POSSIBLE!

THIS WEEKS PERFORMANCE CHALLENGE... CAN YOU FIT A LARGE EXHAUST TO YOUR COMMODORE AND STILL LET THE MISSUS DRIVE IT?

OUR TAME RACING DRIVER / AUSSIE STIG TAKES THE NEW (insert latest performance add-on) ADD-ON FOR THE FALCON ROUND OUR TEST TRACK

PLUS

WE REVIEW LASTS WEEKS COMMODORE VS FALCON REVIEW

AND TAKE A SNEEK PREVIEW OF NEXT WEEKS....... COMMODORE VS FALCON LUGGAGE CAPACITY.. YOU'LL BE AMAZED! (by how many cartons of beer fit in)

The cool wall will be just Falcons & Commodores from different years (except the VL Commodore because it had a Nissan engine)

The Top Gear Aus test track will be the local K-Mart car park with empty VB cartons to mark the layout

The Stig will be Craig Lowndes because the media in Aus just love him and would %$#& him if they could :lol:

Oh well it'll be interesting :mrgreen:

I love it already! :lol:

Just because its an Australian show, that doesn't mean they'll only do Commodore vs Falcon. There are plenty of Aussies who want to know about everything from the latest Peugeot hatch to the next Aston Martin coupe.