Australian version of Top Gear

Calm down, SBS could never afford Ray Martin.

Ray Martin could offer to work for free ...

Actually ... Ray Martin was one of my suggestions for Aussie SIARPC. I suggested looking for Australia's Fastest Martin, with Ray, Tony Martin (funny bloke who got the arse from Triple M late last year) and the other Tony Martin (a.k.a. Reverend Bob from E Street). Would make great TV.

I just don't think SBS has the cahones, or the cash to pull this one off. You'd need amazing hosts, brutal honesty and a clone of Clarkson.

Competition

Competition

I don't think we need to worry about equaling the British show. There have not been many successful car shows in Australia. I think mainly because they focus on the nerdy, sensible stuff. The Top Gear format has the best chance of success in Australia over those other car shows. Also, the fact that (to my knowledge) there isn't a car show on free-to-air at the moment, leaves a nice big space for it.

For me, I won't be comparing Top Gear Australia to the original Top Gear. I will be comparing it to the Biggest Loser, Big Brother and Idol 2008. I know what I'll be watching!!!!

Cheers,
Tim

OK ... so which one of you guys stripped in his TGA audition video? :p

Wasn't it MT???? I laughed out loud.

anyway:

An SBS spokeswoman declined to comment on the "confidential" recruitment process, but said a short list would be "culled" this week.

so what does 'not a starter mean'????? ouch

and hey i didnt strip i tastefully ran across the screen without any clothes on..... very fast. so that article mustnt have been about me. lol

Last edited:
The Cars Are The Stars

The Cars Are The Stars

My favourite answer to that puff-piece of an article was this comment underneath it...

"Australian 'TV Stars' are not really what Top Gear Australia Needs. Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond were not some has been TV Soap drama stars before Top Gear, they were and are motoring devotees with a sense of humour and the humility required to make the show about the cars and not themselves! What Top Gear Australia needs is Australians with our sense of humour and love for our type of cars (big, loud, fast ones!) who are doing it for the love of motoring, not mirrors! This is why the recruitment process is so secretive, so we don't have every has been throwing their hat in the ring for a last ditch shot at fame."

Posted by: John of QLD 8:38am today

...Amen to that, brother!

There is an update on SBS's TopGear website about the auditions. They got 4,000 tapes, but more importantly they mention that the show is due to air in late 2008.

They Better Hire Dieter Kahsnitz from the C Word. He would be fantastic, sure he already has hosted shows and what not, but he is very very good. Funny too.

It might have already been posted but http://www.wasabitv.com.au/?viewcontent=THECWORD.S3

you can download the eps from here.

Anyway I know he sent in an Audition Tape I really hope they choose him coz in my opinion he would keep me watching the show even if it was very very bad :p

Dieter Kahsnitz from the C Word.
He is pretty good. His review of the BMW 130i was a pretty good counter to the one by Clarkson because Clarkson just bashed the car and Dieter actually raised some good points. Like the fact that it's roughly the same cost as a Boxster and just as much fun but it has a boot and back seats that are big enough for the kids.

... because Clarkson just bashed the car and Dieter actually raised some good points. Like the fact that it's roughly the same cost as a Boxster and just as much fun but it has a boot and back seats that are big enough for the kids.

I'm sorry, but there is no way on this earth that a BMW 130i and a Boxster should be compared. I've never seen this Dieter bloke before, and now I really don't want to.

I'm sorry, but there is no way on this earth that a BMW 130i and a Boxster should be compared. I've never seen this Dieter bloke before, and now I really don't want to.

I'm totally with you on this ... although I do know a tiny bit about Dieter ... he strikes me as someone who is not "quintessentially australian" whatever that maybe ... but moreover ... do you all not remember he was the co-host on the Glen Ridge abomination ... the Car Show ... next you'll be saying Ben Predernghast was good.

So YOU'VE driven both or are you just going on what someone said?

Actually, I have driven both and would say that the 130i is more fun than a Boxster (not a Boxster S). The 130i has better acceleration and road feel than a Boxster ... in fact an Audi A4 1.8 turbo Quattro (circa 1999) feels faster and more lively than a Boxster. Don't get carried away by the badge and the (lack of a) roof.

Sorry guys. I am just not prepared to accept that a boxster and a 130 are comparable on anything other than the fact that they both have engines, doors and tyres.

Last edited: