Automotive Delights

As far as "fog lights" blinding people, actual fog lights are yellow and supposed to have a cutoff low to the ground, the cutoff so they don't shine up, the yellow because it doesn't reflect off rain/fog as much as a white light. If you're being blinded by oncoming lights that aren't headlights, chances are they're driving lights, which are designed to be bright and shine forward, as an auxiliary light while driving at night when you need them. Like brights, they should be switched off when approaching other people. The trouble is moronic drivers who don't know the difference, or just self absorbed people who want as much light as possible and have no regard for other drivers. The latter need their licenses revoked.

Sorry, I always mix up driving lights and fog lights. Probably because every car maker calls driving lights fog lighs. Its very rare to actually see yellow fog lights round here.

Well, driving lights tend to be aftermarket lamps that are attached in the grille. And fog lights are OEM.

I haven't seen OEM driving lights (except for maybe on a Jeep).

Well I'm talking about yellow lights, which I havent seen on a car in quite some time. It might be different in America, but I think I read somewhere that yellow lights are illegal in Australia, but that may have just been headlights. The fog lights that come with cars give off white light, which I'm told makes them driving lights. Or something.

Shit, I'm confused.

Put the Euro-spec lights on that thing post-haste!

Thats exactly what I thought when looking at it. Here fog lights or driving lights or whatever are located in the lower bumper, as in:
mercedes_sclass_08.jpg

Those are considered fog lights, are we on the same page here?

What? You've never turned on your lights for DRL (daytime running light) purposes? It helps your car be more visible to other drivers on the road during a sunny afternoon with a lot of shadows ect.

DRLs are not fog lights. But an idiot like you probably think that rear fog lights are part of the DRL as well.

2008_audi_s5_gallery_2_2008_audi_s5_headlight_and_fog_light_image_001_cd_gallery.jpg

Circular thingy in the lower bumper: Fog light. Illuminate the road short-range, no illumination above the height of the light itself. Mounted low to throw back less reflections from the fog into the driver's eye - turn on your high beams in dense fog to see a major difference. Illegal to use without a good reason (fog, heavy rain or snow) in Germany.
Swoopy strip in the regular lights cluster: DRL. Strip of LEDs, to make yourself visible to others - not to illuminate anything.

Last edited:
2008_audi_s5_gallery_2_2008_audi_s5_headlight_and_fog_light_image_001_cd_gallery.jpg

Circular thingy in the lower bumper: Fog light. Illuminate the road short-range, no illumination above the height of the light itself. Mounted low to throw back less reflections from the fog into the driver's eye - turn on your high beams in dense fog to see a major difference. Illegal to use without a good reason (fog, heavy rain or snow) in Germany.
Swoopy strip in the regular lights cluster: DRL. Strip of LEDs, to make yourself visible to others - not to illuminate anything.

Thank you! Thats what I thought at first. It can still be dangerous if you're going down a hill and another car with fog lights on is coming up, the lights can still blind you slightly. It's the same in Australia, you must have headlights on with fog lights, and only in fog or other conditions with restricted visibilty.

And DRLs have been around for ages, I know they have been on Volvos for ages, but again they are dull lights that don't illuminate anything else.

Last edited:
I call it fogs because it is labeled as such. And I use it as a DRL because I turn on the foglights when I get in the car.
[...]
And my fog lights are in the headlight assembly
[...]
Has very little to do where on the nose my lights are located.

With fog lights their mounting point is very important. Mounting them lower reduces reflections from the fog, thus increasing your own visibility.

Fog lights illuminate the ground ahead of the car, being designed for slow driving and all that, thereby impeding your night vision for the distance. If you use them in non-fog darkness that's bad.
If the road is wet your fog lights will increase glare for other drivers unnecessarily, again because the illuminate the road nearby.

Not sure about the legislature at your location, but many countries prohibit use of fog lights without fog or similar conditions.

ppl who thinks fog lights are part of DRL should have a giant spiky dildo, lubed with chili sauce, rammed up his arse. Repeatedly.

Fog lights are called fog lights for a fucking reason, use them ONLY when foggy (or if road condition requires so). You're suppose to use the fog-lights in conjunction with normal lights.

ppl who have their fog lights on [for no reason] obviously have no respect for other motorists on the road. I propose castration as the only punishment for such crime, so that the human species won't be endangered by ppl like Atlantian.

And I use it [fog-lights] as a DRL because I turn on the foglights when I get in the car.
Need I say more? self pwnage

Last edited:
Wtf, foglights don't hurt anyone.

Fog lights illuminate the ground ahead of the car, being designed for slow driving and all that, thereby impeding your night vision for the distance. If you use them in non-fog darkness that's bad.
If the road is wet your fog lights will increase glare for other drivers unnecessarily, again because the illuminate the road nearby.

I like that lights and dashboard illumination come on with ignition
I like that the stereo works without the key
I like that the locking work even if one or more doors are open
I like the lack of chimes (I've found two)
I like that there is a tool for removing valve caps without getting your hands dirty

In more general terms, I like cars that feed a bit of hot air to the left and right vent on the drivers side to warm my hands. Also MacG made me want one of those airneck things.

In the Euro headlights for the W201 (and the W124 for that matter) the foglights are located in the main headlight housing too. The C4 Audi A6 also has them mounted in the main headlight housing.
The performance of the cluster-mounted foglights is no less than the bumper mounted one's I've driven, and the don't reflect off the wet tarmac as much as the bumper mounted ones do, which is very annoying with all the fogtards around here.

5 red blobs within a week???!!

must be a new record, I fear hope a perm ban will soon be imminent.

I love how my Camaro doesn't turn off the radio in my car, even if my keys are out of the ignition, until I open a door. Oh yea and rwd + about 350 hp + no esp, traction control, etc... is really fun too.

Are you kidding? Just last week I watched some n00b get eaten alive and banned within 12 hours.

Banned twice in 12 hours. :lol:

Keeping on topic, I like how the little light behind the window switches in my car stays on as long as the windows still work.

OT: Love how fast this thread became all about fog lights. I think things may be different in Oz because I remember being livid with fools driving around with their fog lights on, the rear lights are blindingly bright, too.

Back on topic: I liked that my Gemini was so easy to open with a coat hanger.

I like how my aircon actually, you know, works.

However, with my luck I fully anticipate it going out next spring. Just in time for our 100+ degree summer.

I also like how it handled my trip to and from Las Vegas earlier this month. 1200 miles roundtrip without a hitch. (Well, there was that right front tire blowing out at 80 mph on Highway 99 just south of Fresno - but that was my fault, not the cars.)

20sg4l4.jpg

My DRL:s, which are placed where the foglights go but are less dazzling. I am seen, and those look just as good as foglights, but aren't annoying as hell.