Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

Are you talking fuel economy? Better MPG's than a big block 427 V8, an 8.4L V10, or a supercharged 6.0L V12? I doubt it. :p
Stop being objective!
Wankel is better because BRAP

That channel is weird, a collection of images with strongly accented monotonous commentary... Also not a fan of Sbarro's designs but I admire the effort he put into his creations.

je_de_moeder_gedumpt_(36)__800.jpg

is that a twingo they add a bed to?
or they added a twingo front to some pickup?

je_de_moeder_gedumpt_(36)__800.jpg

is that a twingo they add a bed to?
or they added a twingo front to some pickup?

I dont even care about the body just look at all that hideous vinyl and interior ... including the douche bag behind the wheel!

I dont even care about the body just look at all that hideous vinyl and interior ... including the douche bag behind the wheel!

I would buy it. But that hideous vinyl and interior would be gone.

if you feel the urge to modify your car, this beats any wanna-be racecar mod...

nope, appeared in a pic dump on some site
but i agree with your sentiment :)

On the other day something happened, and I think it fits awesome thread better than random thoughts.

First of all I was lucky enough to get the latest 991.2 GT3 into my possession for one day. A manual even. I'm not going to waste this space telling how great it is or that I can say with quite a confidence that it is the most complete sports car I've ever driven.

Cut the story short, me and another journalist decided to take the most of the experience. We decided to meet at 4 AM in hotel lobby, wake up the beast and head for South. Idea was to reach Southern parts of the Schwarzwald mountains before sun rise.

Fast forward 40 minutes or so, GT3 is cruising merrily at indicated 130 km/h in the middle lane. There is not much traffic apart from the occasional trucks. The reworked four litre flat six never fades into the background. At sixth gear it's rotating around 3000 rpms, the cabin is filled with gentle even hum.GT3 is pretty stiffly sprung. It's not uncomfortable by any means, but you always feel like you're in something purposeful.

I spot few cars joining the Autobahn. For some reason I pay attention to slightly tuned Volswagen Bora painted in dark hue, blue or possibly black. Same car as you Americans knew as the fourth generation Jetta. I note after market alloys and note deep exhaust burble, the typical stuff you see on tuned VWs.

Few kilometers later the Autobahn goes into short tunnel. Early on we spot the white circle crossed by five grey lines: derestricted. Shift to third, revs up to 6000 or so. Already at this point you know it's the engine that dominates the car. Not the pretty much perfect chassis, great steering, incredible grip and total stability. It's the four litre water cooled 9000 rpm capable flat six that defines the GT3.

Wide open throttle. The big capacity flat six takes totally different note and starts its wailing rush towards 9000 rpms. It pulls really hard for a 500 hp car (I know how stupid this sounds, sorry).

...and then I notice that slightly tuned Volkswagen ahead of us. I was sure he was just few meters before us when the speed limit ended. Did he speed? Could that explain it? No. The Bora was gaining distance rapidly. As the GT3 reached 9000 rpm on third, it was already way ahead of us. Through the fourth gear the Porsche sounds glorious: quick shift, revs drop just enough to change the tone of the engine before the intoxicating scream begins again. Dark Volkswagen is just walking away from us at this point. Road stays clear, so fifth gear goes in. Acceleration stays linear, and at high gear the intensive howl of the engine is getting pretty race car like. It's really angry engine when you ask for it.

I guess we reach around 270 km/h / 170 mph before traffic starts to appear at the horizon. The Bora is maybe 100 meters or so in front of us, huge red flames coming out of the exhaust on the overrun.

I can't remember when I've laughed so much in a car. Of course we thought the latest 911 GT3 is pretty serious thing. As it is. So naturally you have this feeling of confidence when you hit the derestricted road with such a car. And before you notice anything, you see all that confidence being blown away by 15 year old grandpa car.

We were not racing, it's just as dumb as it is verboten. We were just paying attention to another fast car on the Autobahn. But I must admit that the initial acceleration of that tuned Volkswagen left me shockingly impressed. I have no clue how much power that thing was putting down, but I guess somewhere around 800 hp or more would be pretty good educated guess. 1.8Ts have lots of tuning potential, and VR6s are always an option.

Whatever that guy was running, he surely missed our smiling faces and thumbs up in the dark int when we finally overtook him when he cruised off the highway. As much as I love the latest 911 GT3, I certainly love sleepers just as much.

[video=youtube;-KzKpo3Ub18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzKpo3Ub18[/video]

Whatever that guy was running, he surely missed our smiling faces and thumbs up in the dark int when we finally overtook him when he cruised off the highway. As much as I love the latest 911 GT3, I certainly love sleepers just as much.

That was an awesome read. Also, CAMERAS IN THE CAR NEXT TIME!! :D